1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Scouting 11/09/2008 04:38 PM CST
<<<If you're worried about boredom, go hunting. Critters you can kill are also valid tracking targets.>>>

Can people with little or no scouting use scout awareness <critter>? This may be another alternative. Granted it doesnt teach very well, but at least it teaches something.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: Scouting 11/09/2008 06:06 PM CST
>>Can people with little or no scouting use scout awareness <critter>?

I don't think there's any higher requirement to it than MARK. So probably. Definitely in the grand scheme of things. :)

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Scouting 11/09/2008 08:27 PM CST
I think it took something like 16 ranks of Scouting to do scout awareness. I also had over 50 Perception at the time, so that may or may not have affected it?

GENT
Re: Scouting 11/10/2008 11:51 AM CST
Scout awareness is a horrid trainer. I put it into my combat so it did it regularly (ever 4 combos). Best I ever got to was concentrating, almost never beyond pondering. Every tiny bit helps I guess.
Re: Scouting 11/10/2008 12:15 PM CST
I actually modified my Crossings stealing script to do a 'scout awareness' walk for my newb Ranger. It's for G3, but I can give it to anyone who cares to look at it.

I never got a chance to see if it actually was worthwhile for training, as I also wrote a simple script to train off the lad in Arthe Dale. If anyone is interested, let me know!

GENT
Re: Scouting 11/11/2008 12:44 PM CST
>Scout awareness is a horrid trainer. I put it into my >combat so it did it regularly (ever 4 combos). Best I >ever got to was concentrating, almost never beyond >pondering. Every tiny bit helps I guess.

Cant repeat, try this budd. I git mind locked fast.
Scout awar <critter>
app <critt> quick

After that do the next critter and repeat with each new one. Or before you start your hunt sneak around and scout aware every critter real fast. I have good app an lock easy

Jeincains Rakash Ranger

~What can ya say to a Ranger with over 100 in all blades/blunts/bows/thrown?~
Re: Scouting 11/11/2008 03:09 PM CST
I'll try giving it a shot this evening.

Questions: How much scouting, and what kind of critter (is it a critter that you get confident result and it's blind, one you're not confident about the results, one that has a good chance of seeing you, etc?). Does it seem related to how well the critter teaches app? Anything I hunt currently still locks app easily.

And another question.. how many critters is "locks scout easily"? =)
Re: Scouting 11/11/2008 06:42 PM CST
Also, with a capped out WS you should be able to find easiest trails. Ask at the guild.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Scouting 11/14/2008 12:09 AM CST
Those of us who have been playing DR for years and understand how to make simple scripts will not have any trouble starting up our scouting training at the scarecrow or kitten. For us, it simply is boring (just like running trails is, by the way).

The real problem is that many young rangers are not played by experienced players. Many are really new and scouting is truly hard for them. Whenever i pass by the crossing guild and start a class, its scouting, and usually their reply is something like: "wow, how did you know i needed that?"

First 15-20 ranks:

In arthe dale, find the 3 rooms where the scarecrow roams. Track the scarecrow, walk to the other side of the path and track track track track until you make it or lose track. Repeat.

20-40 ranks:

Same thing, but instead of staying close to the path, go climb the tree up and down, dive into the pool, swim south and north, climb embankment, track track track until you make it or lose track. Repeat.

If you already have the SOP spell, use it here. This will keep your scouting, perception, climbing, swimming, PM and harness moving great.
I liked my script so much that i kept using it until i couldnt learn climbing and swimming well anymore (around 60-70 in climbing, swimming and scouting) even tho i could already run the easy trails.

I will track it down and post here later. Its for wizard and i dont use it anymore.

Anyway, scouting is boring to train at any level... I'll also try that scout awareness on creatures method. I'll use it if its good but i'll still run trails cuz thats my best way to train perception :)
Re: Scouting 11/14/2008 10:44 AM CST
>I'll also try that scout awareness on creatures method. >I'll use it if its good but i'll still run trails cuz >thats my best way to train perception :)

Scout Awareness ability starts at 16ranks and I have filled out all info on the ability at http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Scout_Awareness so for those of u in desperate need of the what have yous on scout awareness! checkit

ALSO, scout awa critter, then app critter quick will train u insanely. I still lock on black leucros even if their not swarming. Dont repeat the same critter tho its fruitless

Jeincains Rakash Ranger

Re: Scouting 11/14/2008 02:03 PM CST
I was trying scout aware in raiders, going through piles of different raiders (go in one room, do 5, go in another 5 more, etc), and still wasn't getting past learning with 410 scouting. Still have to go give it a shot in sky giants and see if something more at/slightly above level does better.
Re: Scouting 11/14/2008 03:40 PM CST
>I was trying scout aware in raiders, going through piles >of different raiders (go in one room, do 5, go in >another 5 more, etc), and still wasn't getting past >learning with 410 scouting. Still have to go give it a >shot in sky giants and see if something more at/slightly >above level does better.

Scout aware doesnt teach scouting for squat. I tested scout awareness vigerously for days to come up with my info and it doesnt. But it teaches appraisel better then nething out there.

Jeincains Rakash Ranger

Re: Scouting 11/14/2008 04:04 PM CST
I gathered the same thing from Scout Aware - that it taught appraisal far less than it taught scouting, BUT....

to be fair what is your appraisal skill compared to your scouting skill? If app is 50 ranks or so behind, that would probably be the difference.

Try scout aware on something out classes you buy 50 or so ranks and see how it moves (just a thought).

Also, is it possible that this doesn't scale well, or was meant to be for young'n? Anyone have a young ranger to see if it teaches better at level when you have less than say 20 circles?
Re: Scouting 11/14/2008 04:06 PM CST
Oh, here I thought you were talking about scout. I could give a crap less about appraisal, appraisal is insanely easy to lock while hunting. The entire discussion was about scout.. not appraisal. Least.. it was for me. :/

Which goes clear back to my original post. I had it set up so I regular scout awared all the celpeze, and scouting didnt get beyond concentrating at best, normally never past pondering.
Re: Scouting 11/14/2008 07:44 PM CST
>Oh, here I thought you were talking about scout. I >could give a crap less about appraisal, appraisal is >insanely easy to lock while hunting. The entire >discussion was about scout.. not appraisal. Least.. it >was for me. :/

Yeah, I think we both got caught up. Read your last post and it dawned on me so I made sure I elaborated alot more in specific. And my app is about 120 ranks below my scouting.

Also I hunt critters that require extreme caution and
are way beyond my ability. Polo, ect.

And no scout aware doesnt teach for nething worth while on the scouting end. Also u git your best app's on critters u can stealth. If you are even you will get confident, if your above you will get Highly Confident. If you cant you git guesses. Basically like APPing a critter.

My bad bout the confusion/mix-up as well

Jeincains Rakash Ranger

Re: Scouting 11/15/2008 12:36 PM CST
Second the sorry about de-railing the thread.

I merely mentioned the appraisal thing because you can compare what you learn app wise, to what you learn scout wise because they are generally so far apart.

When dancing with crows and getting 5 or 6 on me, running throw scout aware on each critter, kill all, then repeat... I can get to muddled.

I am pretty sure this was not intended to be the end-all-be-all way to train scouting, but more a nice little as-long-as-you-are-hunting type thing.

Not that I would mind seeing it tweaked up a bit.

Olvi on the trails,

Diggan
Re: Scouting 11/25/2008 08:26 AM CST
If you're simply looking for appraisal experience, it seems like "Scout Aware" would just add pointless roundtime. Simply "App Quick" each critter you kill and as a Lore tertiary you should stay locked. 300 ranks in a pointless skill and counting for me, just using "App Quick".

Re: Scouting 02/05/2009 12:21 AM CST
This is after each "app beisswurm quick" (no repeats)

Appraisal: 76 22.90% muddled
Appraisal: 76 22.90% very muddled
Appraisal: 76 22.90% perplexing
Appraisal: 76 22.90% perplexed

Teaches great etc.... four apps to go from muddled to perplexed. But I tested out scout awareness, and it didn't move appraisal whatsoever for me, even after around 10 beiswurms.

shrugs

-Erysten
Running Trails & Training Scouting 02/23/2011 10:00 PM CST
I just moved up to running a beginner trail (Xing to Kaerna) to an easy one (Xing to Haven Ferry) but I didn't really notice any bump upwards in the experience I get in training scouting.

Aren't trails supposed to train more, the more advanced they are? Or do all trails train at a flat rate, regardless of difficulty?
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 02/24/2011 06:44 AM CST
>Aren't trails supposed to train more, the more advanced they are? Or do all trails train at a flat rate, regardless of difficulty?

Doesn't seem to be a significant difference, no.

You are usually better off running short trails repeatedly than long trails. The Fens to Ferry trail is horrible for exp, but is the longest, hardest trail in the game.

However, from testing before the exp changes, the Gondola to Corrik's wall trail teaches a bit better than just running a short loop over time. The difference was locking in something like 35 minutes vs 38 minutes, so not enough to make it even worth the bother.

Of course since the exp changes, running trails is just a horrible way to learn scouting. IIRC I gave up before locking because I was sick of staring at the script after an hour or so. HUNT is not much better, IMHO. It takes me over 40 minutes to lock scouting at this point, using hunt at optimal timings and always going after the farthest critter.

-pete
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 02/24/2011 04:02 PM CST
I don't think this is the best use of time, but I am bow primary and don't really use a

stalk critter 1 - app critter 1 - scout aware critter 1 - circle - bob - weave - prep ease - harn - charge - cast -stand and take a beating - Repeat 3 critters - HUNT.

If you play around with pauses, and how long you take a beating, you can actually get it moving pretty well.

I'm bow primary, and this is just a part of my training to get the defenses up on par with bow.

I'm sure the super scripters out there can tell me how to improve, but for now that's my routine before I start the pin cushion slaughter routine.
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 02/24/2011 04:48 PM CST
Yeah, I'm melee/bow/TM co-primary so all my defenses are actually WAY above what I need.

I train other skills while waiting out the timer and stop training whatever I am doing when the timer is up to re-hunt. The process is so boring I have a script that handles the stopping and re-hunting part so I don't get distracted by the shiny and forget.

It takes about 2-3 times longer to train Scouting with HUNT than to train other combat survivals on the same creatures. Very frustrating.

-pete
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 02/25/2011 09:06 PM CST
Not to kill this folder but I must post. GM Sithix said he would address the trails and scouting experience from them after he finishes companions. Since he is currently on leave from DR we can only pray for a speedy resolution to his life so he can come back to do what we all know he loves.

Zinaca and her young raccoon, Shadow
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 02/27/2011 03:23 PM CST
Zinaca got it right. You guys voted Companions more important than trails - he said fixing trails will only take about 2 months. So after the Companions are finished, he'll get all that stuff fixed on trails.

In the meantime, hang in there!

GM Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 03/21/2011 05:02 PM CDT
Since trails are on the slate to be fixed, I thought I'd mention an idea. How about being able to "run" a trail. The idea being it would take about half the time. Fatigue according would be doubled at the end of the trail, with an occasional collapse with RT penalty. ~just an idea.

""A reflection on a pool of water does not reveal its depth."
Do, or do not, there is no try." -Yoda
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 03/21/2011 06:35 PM CDT
>Since trails are on the slate to be fixed, I thought I'd mention an idea. How about being able to "run" a trail. The idea being it would take about half the time. Fatigue according would be doubled at the end of the trail

This sounds great, assuming the time needed to run a trail is halved or quartered from what it is now. Most trails are about the slowest way to get from point A to B.

>, with an occasional collapse with RT penalty. ~just an idea.

This should be able to be completely eliminated with enough skill or stamina. I find forced random, unavoidable failure highly annoying.

The areas where no matter what your perception or agility, you can't avoid falling flat on your face just irritate me to the point I just avoid them.

-pete
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 03/21/2011 10:14 PM CDT
As I recall, when trails were put in, the Ranger GM at the time said, "remember the scene in The Patriot where Mel Gibson is running thru the woods? That's what running trails is like" or maybe it was daniel day lewis in the last of the mohicans. (I can't believe it, but it was back in 2002 that the new scouting system replaced tracking and trails were implemented...) Works either way, but in any case "running" trails is what you are doing already. running thru the forest trying not to step on any critters, getting hit in the face with branches, avoiding other Rangers stopping to take a sip from the stream you leap over, etc etc.

Granted, I think that at a certain level of skill, you should be able to go thru it faster, but that's how I'd say this should work best. Faster due to skill (and sure, higher attributes). Is it still the same that if you have a high enough burden, you can't run trails? Or did that adjust?

Hawkman

"B. R."
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 03/22/2011 06:21 AM CDT
There's an awesome video of the whole length of the Appalachian Trail compressed down to 4 minutes that totally reminds me of ranger trail running... Probably distance-wise too, considering where some of the trails start and end. (Note: don't watch if you get motion sickness)

Regardless, I'd like to see an option that is MORE taxing on our characters that lets us traverse them even faster. I can "run" (and now the messaging says that) roads 10x faster than most trails using a travel script or Genie automapper.

Trails are an important RP tool for me, so I still use them. But it sure would be nice to have them actually travel quickly.

-pete
Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 03/30/2011 01:09 AM CDT
I agree that trails are an important RP tool but I am confused. Where did we get the idea that running a trail should be faster than using a road? Or a shortcut? Geez, climbing up cliffs, dodging boulders, climbing through trees, jumping over little fjords...not a shortcut. To my mind, trails don't need to be faster, shorter, whatever. But then I'm venerable and crotchety and probably in the minority.

Oh and whoever wrote the atmospherics for the trails....way way way good job. I just love reading the atmospherics and noticing at a few trailheads/ends that the atmospherics change at night from day. Great work!

Oh and thanks to whoever tweaked the trails to teach better than they used to. Also good job.

On a related note...has anyone heard from Sithix yet? Or is he still covered in work : (

Re: Running Trails & Training Scouting 03/30/2011 06:32 AM CDT
>here did we get the idea that running a trail should be faster than using a road? Or a shortcut? Geez, climbing up cliffs, dodging boulders, climbing through trees, jumping over little fjords...not a shortcut. To my mind, trails don't need to be faster, shorter, whatever. But then I'm venerable and crotchety and probably in the minority.

They were called shortcuts when they were introduced.

I can understand ones that bypass cities not being as fast as moving from gate A to gate B, or the ones that bypass barriers taking a bit longer because of the route, but ones that are a substitute for the roads? No way.

ESPECIALLY since they are horrible for training scouting, so if you can't use them to train effectively, they really need some other utility. By the time you get to a point where the trail doesn't teach any longer, it really should be faster than the alternative.

-pete
Re: Running Trails &amp; Training Scouting 03/31/2011 08:19 PM CDT
The secret to training with trails is brevity. And diversity. Like run the trail from the path to Shard, run the gondola from Shard to Horse clan, from Horse clan to Corik's wall, from Corik's wall to the gondola and repeat and vary. Yeah it does take longer to lock than it used to, but it is still doable and by folks who have way more scouting than I do. In fact one of those rangers was the one to tell me how to run the trails to best advantage.

Still I trail run and hunt and together, seem to move scouting alright.

And I don't remember them ever being called shortcuts. But then I'm old and my brain has holes. : P

Re: Running Trails &amp; Training Scouting 03/31/2011 09:41 PM CDT
<<And I don't remember them ever being called shortcuts. But then I'm old and my brain has holes. : P>>

Z,

I seriously doubt you are "old" yet...

Name: Hawkman Windman, Bowman of Elanthia Race: Human Guild: Ranger
You are Hawkman Windman, Bowman of Elanthia, a Human.
You have grey eyes. Your golden brown hair is long and straight, and is worn tied back. You have tanned skin.
You are elderly.

ugh...

Hawkman

"B. R."
Re: Running Trails &amp; Training Scouting 03/31/2011 11:18 PM CDT
Ok, Hawkman, I'm only 66 but that ain't far behind. And the sad or not so sad, depending on how you look at it, I'm only 6 years behind Zinaca. Go Geritol!

Zinaca and her young raccoon, Shadow Ya know, I kinda miss my wolf blanket and cold nose on the back. Shadow, she just is a hand warmer.
Re: Running Trails &amp; Training Scouting 04/01/2011 09:17 PM CDT
yeah but aren't you an elf? that's a barely a teeny bopper in elfen years. ;-)

By the way, what's Geritol?

Hawkman

"B. R."
Re: Running Trails &amp; Training Scouting 04/02/2011 06:38 PM CDT
Zinaca is actually a human, sometimes confused for an elf, not sure how. But it happens.

Re: Running Trails &amp; Training Scouting 04/02/2011 08:13 PM CDT
<<yeah but aren't you an elf? that's a barely a teeny bopper in elfen years. ;-)

By the way, what's Geritol?

Zinaca is actually a human, sometimes confused for an elf, not sure how. But it happens.>>

I'm a Human and I don't even wear the fake pointy ears I have seen some wear! Oh and Geritol was a 50's 60's 70's elixir that was supposed to rejuvenate the elderly with vitamins and caffeine. The forerunner of energy drinks. I sure never knew anyone who actually bought the stuff and used it.

Re: Running Trails &amp; Training Scouting 04/02/2011 09:19 PM CDT
What I was suggesting was an ability/option to move across those long trails faster~nothing to with learning. Just get from point A to point B faster, as an option on those long trails.

""A reflection on a pool of water does not reveal its depth."
Do, or do not, there is no try." -Yoda
Re: Running Trails &amp; Training Scouting 04/02/2011 09:28 PM CDT
<<What I was suggesting was an ability/option to move across those long trails faster~nothing to with learning. Just get from point A to point B faster, as an option on those long trails>>

suggestions are always good things, thanks for posting.

I'd say that the more scouting you have, the faster you should be able to run any trail or PTM. (To a capped point of course)

Hawkman

"B. R."
1 3 Next Next_page