Bonus 06/25/2004 02:13 AM CDT
Not sure if this has been addressed - but Pandy told me the other day that our bonus gets dropped to neutral if we stay in a neutral room long enough (one which we pace normally). I was always under the impression that staying in a neutral room didn't change our bonus for the positive or the negative just left it where it was? I asked Storrmm but she wasn't certain though she held the same impression about not having our bonus affected in neutral rooms. Any information on this would be helpful - wouldn't want to contract sick cow disease unwittingly.

~Jaeded NeverDawn
Re: Bonus 06/25/2004 07:08 AM CDT
From what I've seen, our bonus tends to drift towards a level dictated by the level of wilderness of the room and how active we are. If you're sitting in a neutral room and not doing anything, the wilderness level is neutral and your activity level is nil so over time you will drift downward to a neutral or slightly positive bonus.

And the activity part is key, just sitting in a wilderness room won't top your bonus no matter how long you sit there, I have seen the proof of this. Sitting in the deadfall, skinning and dodging like a pro ... sit in Blend for a couple hours to drain experience while I'm afk, come back and go back to hunting, all of a sudden I'm botching skins and getting tagged by the critters.

If it had been a neutral area I snoozed in, things would have been worse, though not as bad as an urban area. Only time your bonus wouldn't be moving one way or the other is when it's already "even" with the level dictated by your area and your activity level.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Bonus Question 01/04/2005 08:40 PM CST
The recent change with regards to hiding at melee, and our ability to automatically be considered eligible if we have a good bonus and are out of town, brought up some questions that I have had for awhile about the bonus. Anyone who has the answers, or GMs, if you can say definitivly, it would be appreciated.

Has anyone ever really tested it to see how it works?

What we gain or lose, is it actual ranks, or is it a percentage?

What skills specifically does it impact? For example if I tank my bonus, does my power perceive suffer, or is it just my hiding? Lockpicks, Stealing etc.

If we lose actual ranks, what is the most it is possible to lose? If we lose a percentage of skill, again what is the maximum percent we can lose?

If on the other hand, we have a positive bonus, what is the maximum it can be? Percent or actual.

Approximately how long does it take for a bonus that is max positive, to go max negative and vice versa?

If we have a max negative bonus, does it take less time to get it positive if we do things? If so what?

If we have a max positive bonus, does anything cause it to go negative faster? What if anything can slow the decline, apart from leaving the city?

I have been trying to come up with a way to accuratly test this, thus far without success. I mean I can prove that my bonus quickly goes negative, but how do I measure it? How do I know when its hit bottom? If anyone has some ideas, I would be willing to live in a city for a few weeks to test it out.

Mole

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN!
After the stampede the artist Three Solid Frogs got to his feet, retrieved his brush from his nostril, pulled his easel out of a tree, and tried to think placid thoughts.
Re: Bonus Question 01/05/2005 11:57 PM CST
<< Has anyone ever really tested it to see how it works?

Yes, loads.

<< What we gain or lose, is it actual ranks, or is it a percentage?

Seems to be a percentage.

<< What skills specifically does it impact? For example if I tank my bonus, does my power perceive suffer, or is it just my hiding? Lockpicks, Stealing etc.

Most survivals, the ones that count for circling.

<< If we lose actual ranks, what is the most it is possible to lose? If we lose a percentage of skill, again what is the maximum percent we can lose?

Claims vary, I'd say about 20%. And some skills just go away until your bonus is above a certain point (scouting).

<< If on the other hand, we have a positive bonus, what is the maximum it can be? Percent or actual.

I'd guess lower than 20%.

<< Approximately how long does it take for a bonus that is max positive, to go max negative and vice versa? If we have a max negative bonus, does it take less time to get it positive if we do things? If so what?

Depends on location and activity. Rooms vary in level of "wildness" and different spots will move your bonus up or down at different rates. To max out a bonus, however, you must actively engage in "Rangerly" activities (some of which are impossible with a very negative bonus).

<< If we have a max positive bonus, does anything cause it to go negative faster? What if anything can slow the decline, apart from leaving the city?

Nothing besides location speeds decline. "Rangerly" activities inside the sity might reduce the rate of decline, but I have no evidence of that.

<< I have been trying to come up with a way to accuratly test this, thus far without success. I mean I can prove that my bonus quickly goes negative, but how do I measure it? How do I know when its hit bottom?

There is no good way to know. Since scouting seems to be most heavily affected, some people use their time on the trails to determine the state of their bonus. This will only work above the point where the ability to scout for trails disappears entirely, though.

Hope that helped.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: Bonus Question 01/06/2005 12:37 AM CST
The only testing I have done with the bonus is this... I watched my hiding to see when I could first hide melee, unbuffed... Back in the days when it took a solid 200 ranks to hide melee, I was able to do it with 156 ranks. Pure bonus, no spells/CJ/etc. In all leather. Wasn't a really scientific experiment or anything, but that's when I first noticed I could do it.

-Vision

I kill unarmed animals 24 anlaen a day. And I am constantly plastered in blood and bile from skinning their still-warm corpses. This "connection to the natural world" is why I intuitively grasp Anmal Lore. Also, I can shoot bees.
-Plaith
Re: Bonus Question 01/06/2005 01:34 AM CST
To clarify, for my sake, what are some specific examples of "Rangerly" activities?

Are all "Rangerly" actions equal, or are some "Rangerly" actions more "Rangerly" than others?

Do "Rangerly" actions have timers? That is, is it best to do a number of different "Rangerly" activities, or will doing just one or two over and over suffice?

In terms of gaining and losing bonus, how important is the "wildness" of a room versus the "Rangerliness" of the activities being performed?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Re: Bonus Question 01/06/2005 02:49 AM CST
> what are some specific examples of "Rangerly" activities?

Basically anything that has to do with a skill that is affected by the bonus will help you recover it faster, from what I can tell.
Scraping skins, juggling, swimming, climbing, foraging, running trails, etc.

>Are all "Rangerly" actions equal, or are some "Rangerly" actions more "Rangerly" than others?

I'm fairly sure that I see some of the best results in recovering my bonus from things like running trails and foraging, but this is purely based on my off-the-cuff feelings and absolutely no hard evidence whatsoever.

>Do "Rangerly" actions have timers? That is, is it best to do a number of different "Rangerly" activities, or will doing just one or two over and over suffice?

There is no timer on actions that I'm aware of, but you would probably regain bonus faster doing a smattering of Rangerly things than just sitting and scraping pelts for an hour. Again, just based on my observations, I haven't any evidence to back this up.

>how important is the "wildness" of a room versus the "Rangerliness" of the activities being performed?

I would have to say that the 'wildness' affects it a bit more than the actions, based purely on the fact that you can sit in a Bonus-negative room and scrape/forage/what-have-you all day long, and you'd still lose your bonus. Other than that though, I haven't a clue really. I try to get to the most wild place I can find and do the most Rangerly things I can think of... \;)

-Vision

I kill unarmed animals 24 anlaen a day. And I am constantly plastered in blood and bile from skinning their still-warm corpses. This "connection to the natural world" is why I intuitively grasp Anmal Lore. Also, I can shoot bees.
-Plaith
Re: Bonus Question 01/06/2005 03:32 AM CST
>I try to get to the most wild place I can find

Any tips on finding the most wild places?
Re: Bonus Question 01/06/2005 01:17 PM CST
not sure if this was just an idea that was tossed up in the air or was a GM actually hinting at something. but i recall the "wildness" of a room being based on what is actually around. they used numbers like -6 to 6 or something and each aspect of a room would change the number possibly. the deadfall in leucros was used as an example of a very wild room, since it was inhabited by wild animals, had lots of natural structures around and was far from town. i'm leaning towards the thought that this was just a proposed way of handling it in the future but the logic is there. sitting in a stream foraging out away from town would probably feel more wild than sitting just outside the west gate. but right now i don't notice there being a big difference in gaining bonus back, but then again i rarely hurt my bonus. i still try to stay a few paces from town regardless of where i am.
Re: Bonus Question 01/08/2005 08:56 AM CST
I find hunting to be a very effective way to gain bonus back. Work that hiding/stalking/evasion/skinning.

-Jari
Re: Ranger Bonus as it applies to a neutral room 01/15/2005 11:57 AM CST
>>Also, finding trails requires more than just being at the state where you can howl - there are degrees which I can't give exact details on.

Those must be some impressive details. I'm closing in on 250 ranks of scouting and tanked my bonus at the Order event last weekend. As a full fledged member of the herd, I couldn't find any of the trails back north to Therengia from Crossings. Anyone know how many ranks we can find a trail with a tanked bonus?

Valynn

Sleep under the stars, but dream beyond them.
Re: Ranger Bonus as it applies to a neutral room 01/15/2005 12:02 PM CST
>Anyone know how many ranks we can find a trail with a tanked bonus?
>Valynn

From how I understand it... there is no amount of ranks that will allow you to find/look at/read/scout a trail if you've lost your attunement to nature.

But get just a little of that attunement back, and you'll be able to start with the short trails.

Wryt.
Ranger Bonus 06/01/2010 04:11 PM CDT
Is the description of the ranger bonus at Elanthipedia accurate?
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Ranger_Bonus
Or is it a description of how it is supposed to work?

I thought I had seen some GM discussion confirming that the bonus was broken, that it had come to light that it did not drop over time when a ranger enters the city, but rather dropped to nuetral (or 0% positive bonus) immediately on entering a non-wild area. I have been Google searching play.net, but can't find or am overlooking the relevant posts I guess.

Thanks,
~Brian/Bahb
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/01/2010 05:36 PM CDT
Ranger Bonus is at the top of my list for things on which I would like to see favorable GM attention.

Z did mention bonus is broken. I could be mistaken on the details of his posts, but I think it works like this:

You have your bonus out of town and it increases out of town. It is supposed to stay with you in town and dwindle over time, but instead, it drops to zero (and that is if you were completely full, less if you were not) in town and then dwindles more, giving a penalty.
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/01/2010 05:52 PM CDT
<<Sortik

Thanks. I had wondered, because anecdotally it seemed I could take a batch of boxes at or near the top of my skill range and disarm them fine outside of town, but stepping into to a town area my disarm success rate dropped immediately. Which I have assumed was due to a loss of perception from lost bonus.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/01/2010 10:51 PM CDT
>Ranger Bonus is at the top of my list for things on which I would like to see favorable GM attention.

Your wish is our command.

SGM Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/01/2010 11:13 PM CDT
sweet.

You turn a deep ebony lockpick case set with smooth onyx plates labeled "Graverobber" in the light, admiring it.
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/01/2010 11:16 PM CDT
>>Your wish is our command.

Make me a sandwich.

:)
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/01/2010 11:24 PM CDT
You going to Simucon? :-P

SGM Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/02/2010 01:40 AM CDT
>>You going to Simucon? :-P

I am, can I have his sammich?
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/02/2010 05:26 AM CDT
WTS: sandwich

MB: 1000 plat

BO: 5000 plat

CB:
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/02/2010 06:15 AM CDT
>>Ranger Bonus is at the top of my list for things on which I would like to see favorable GM attention.

>Your wish is our command.

There any info on where this is going?

In my happy little dream-world, I'd like to see the bonus behavior in town fixed and that's it.

I'm concerned that we're going to see a significant nerf of the positive side in exchange for a lessening of the negative effects for being in town. I don't want to see either of those aspects change.

The bonus is supposed to be both the carrot and the stick for staying out of town.

-pete
Re: Ranger Bonus 06/02/2010 11:03 AM CDT
<<I'm concerned that we're going to see a significant nerf of the positive side in exchange for a lessening of the negative effects for being in town. I don't want to see either of those aspects change.

The bonus is supposed to be both the carrot and the stick for staying out of town.

-pete>>

I second third and fourth this idea. We have had so many things nerfed it's been discouraging. Although I love many things that have come out for rangers, I shudder at getting nerfed again. And as long as you all are working hard...wanna fix trails again so they actually teach like they did before? All that hard work on trails and many rangers don't use them cuz they don't teach well anymore.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky who at 3 months is a far better tracker, swimmer and climber than me! : (