skinning 05/13/2004 11:22 AM CDT
Does anyone have a chart showing approximate ranks needed for skinning and arranging various creatures? and if not, how long do I have to wait before arranging snowbeasts??
-Iseye
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 11:27 AM CDT
For plain skinning them takes approx 80 ranks as a ranger, 100 ranks as non-ranger to get snowbeast pelt.

Arranging comes sort of automatically at about 100 ranks or so. I think you have to have approx 50 more skinning ranks than it takes to skin it normally to be able to arrange it.

HOL spell helps too.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 11:32 AM CDT
<<I think you have to have approx 50 more skinning ranks than it takes to skin it normally to be able to arrange it.

Is this true for all creatures down the line, or is it percentage based?

Thanks for the quick response!
-Iseye
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 12:50 PM CDT
Um...I'm going to have to disagree with the 80 ranks for a ranger to skin snowbeasts. Or the 100 ranks for a non ranger. My Warmie Friend with 115 skinning can barely get a tattered skin, kneeling with a skinning knife.

As for me, I'm a little shy of 100 ranks and I get like 1/8 pelts with an LE. I think to skillfully skin snowies every time you need something like 130 as a ranger. 150 as a non ranger.

As for arranging, I think it's more of a percentage base than an actual solid 50 ranks +/-.

- Saharia Junishin, Prydaen Ranger
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 01:22 PM CDT
i'm going by 100 because thats what i skinned them with as a non-ranger with high agility. my paladin still has difficulty skinning them with 120 skinning, but he does skin them on occasion. they don't teach him anything else though so he hasn't fought them for quite some time. :-)

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 01:28 PM CDT
<<<<I think you have to have approx 50 more skinning ranks than it takes to skin it normally to be able to arrange it.

<<Is this true for all creatures down the line, or is it percentage based?

Arranging a creature a single time (you can do it multiple times, although it won't increase the value beyond the first arrange) adds a random 50-100% difficulty increase. To be able to physically arrange a critter isn't skill dependent beyond the initial 100 ranks with or without HOL. You can arrange hele'la with 100 skinning; you just won't peel anything from it and most likely hurt yourself in the process.

And yes, the old 80 skinning for a snowbeast rule is completely off-base. Without HOL or some really, really ridiculous discipline, Saharia's number would be closer. I remember having 120 skinning (as a Ranger) a long while back and still not getting skillful peels absolutely every time (with discipline over 20). Also, if you can cast HOL at max prep, you can probably arrange snowbeasts regularly as soon as you can skillfully peel them regularly.
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 02:49 PM CDT
I wouldn't say 80 is completely off base. 80's acually the number that popped into my head, because that's when i started being able to skin snowbeasts as a ranger. Yes, its very stat dependant i'm sure, not to mention injuries, burden is a big one, and whatnot. But it is the beginning for some folks.

Also as far as arranging several times, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but it does the same thing as arranging once. I can most of the time get a perfect leuc hide arranging (with hol up). Just arranged one 5 times and did the same.

Jalika
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 03:31 PM CDT
<<I wouldn't say 80 is completely off base. 80's acually the number that popped into my head, because that's when i started being able to skin snowbeasts as a ranger. Yes, its very stat dependant i'm sure, not to mention injuries, burden is a big one, and whatnot. But it is the beginning for some folks.

The question was in relation to arranging, ("and if not, how long do I have to wait before arranging snowbeasts??
"). Being able to tear a bloody chunk of flesh worth 10 copper once every 20 critters at 80 ranks is hardly a useful number.

Arranging more than once seems to increase difficulty for those who I've asked and from what I've seen myself. It's not a linear increase (ie. 250%-500% at five arranges) for sure, but it's there. I have a feeling it may be a chance to increase it to the maximum of the random range (ie. a whole bunch of arranges would make the difficulty go from a possible 50-100% increase to simply 100%).
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 03:38 PM CDT
I've never seen any substantial proof that arranging anything more than once does anything at all.

And to arrange and get trophies on snowbeasts every time, I'd say right around expert skinning.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

That's why it's called a shortcut; if it was easy it would just be "The Way"
Re: skinning 05/13/2004 03:41 PM CDT
<<I've never seen any substantial proof that arranging anything more than once does anything at all.>>

According to Snare, his tests indicated that arranges do not "stack." Since the difficulty is random, it IS possible that the second or third arrange is potentially harder than the first, but since there is no way of knowing what the first arrange would have done, it's sort of impossible to tell.

Allegoria

Instigator of Liberation for Hara'Jaal
It's a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere.

"In college, that's a travel. In the NBA, it's a slam dunk." ~ Steve Buchantz
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 12:18 AM CDT
<<I'd say right around expert skinning.

what I'm really wondering is, when will it be possible to arrange snowbeasts? I'm mostly looking for the experience at the moment, and I would like to know when I will get more experience trying to arrange and skin as opposed to just skinning. Currently I just skin, and I get a fair amount of skillful peels, but when I try to arrange, I can't even get a blood-soaked pelt, and don't seem to get much experience for trying. I have a feeling I'm close, though. Thanks for all the input!
-Iseye
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 06:52 AM CDT
From my experience, you'll start getting arranged pelts from snowbeasts consistantly around 170 and a healthy HOL. Hope that helps.

Phairdon, Wandyfarer

The difference between being lost and exploring is about 5 minutes and two right turns.

AIM Beaker326th
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 08:01 AM CDT
The way to use Arrange to gain exp is to put just enough HOL into a cast where you hit the mid levels of success. If you aren't close enough to do that (or don't have HOL) then move to a different beast or just scrape. Snowbeasts are odd, really odd, as in by the time you can really skin them well, you are past the point they teach well for your combats, unless you have insane skinning vs your combats...which Pep has about 15 or so more ranks in Skinning than combats because of training 6-8 weapons. (with combats in the 50's and skinning in mid 60's)
Honestly, depending on your skills, you are more likely to learn more from blood wolves. From about 105 to 140ish I learned real well from arrange (with no HOL) and skinning. In a nice swarm I could get skinning moving nicely during combat, then lock it up unless on speed ranks during scraping.

As Pharidon said, 170 with a nice HOL is prolly the time you start getting a consistent number of trophies, and still fail a lot without HOL up.

I am Pep-tog. Celebraty.
Striderr says, "You're a Viente Tog!"
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 10:12 AM CDT
<< 170 with a nice HOL
And I thought I was really close!
::grumbles::

<<you are more likely to learn more from blood wolves
They don't really teach too well anymore. But at least I can kill them fast and they seem to have the most valuable pelts I can get at the moment. Hey, scraping pelts isn't all that bad I suppose... Here I come tertiary weapons! As far as HOL goes, I've never had the spell. I have an empty spell slot, but I'm not sure if it should go to SOP, HOL, CAIS, compost (for branch break), or plague of scavangers. Anyone have a favorite spell in there?

-Iseye
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 10:58 AM CDT
I use HoL and SoP all the time great spells.
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 12:10 PM CDT
<<They don't really teach too well anymore.

Are you talking strictly about skinning them, or are you including scraping? Reason I ask is that I've got over 150 skinning, and I can still lock up skinning by scraping a full bundle of Blood Wolf pelts. I would think someone with around 100 or less would have no trouble locking skinning with less than a full bundle.

_______
Llyldoryn
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 12:41 PM CDT
<<Using your skinning knife to skin will make your task somewhat easier.

You skillfully peel the white pelt off a snowbeast.

You arrange a snowbeast for proper skinning even though you know it will make success more difficult.
[Roundtime: 5 seconds]

Using your skinning knife to skin will make your task somewhat easier.

You make a series of cuts but only succeed in reducing any possible value left in the snowbeast to that of mud.>>

Sure, scraping pelts still teaches fine, but I'd rather not collect a big bundle and burden myself when trying to avoid getting stunned from the gargoyles. I get skillful peels quite frequently off of snowbeasts using a claymore too, So I figured the next level of skinning shouldn't be too far off, and it'd be nice to learn a little more than I am from just skinning. With most skills, just doing the basic action asociated with the skill is all you ever need to do to learn. With skinning, I don't remember the last time I mind locked without scraping bundles, and somehow that just seems wrong.
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 12:50 PM CDT
>I don't remember the last time I mind locked without scraping bundles, and somehow that just seems wrong

Neither do I, welcome to the club. Unfortunately, or fortunately, scraping is your friend. One of the problems you are feeling right now perhaps, is that you are in one of those 'middle' grounds, as I call it. Where you are not quite skilled enough to learn on up the critter ladder, but you do not learn well at the level you are currently. HOL and scrapping and arranging (even critters below what you hunt now) fills that gap or 'middle' ground.

Be well

>Motarra
Re: skinning 05/14/2004 02:08 PM CDT
When you get to a point where you can control your skill with skinning vial hol/arrange, its not too bad. I actually mind lock easier actually skinning now, than with scraping. And more often than not, I'll just sell the bundle and go back and skin more cause i'll learn more skinning by getting a second batch than by sitting around and scraping them all.

244 skin, and i tend to use black leucs for reference, but would work with anything that challenged you.

Jalika
Re: skinning 05/15/2004 11:31 AM CDT
<<244 skin, and i tend to use black leucs for reference, but would work with anything that challenged you.

Unless that anything is peccaries... they suck at teaching skinning. I learn skinning better from unyns and vipers which are a lot easier to fight (in my experiences).

later
Re: skinning 05/15/2004 01:20 PM CDT
Jalika, you lock skinning in leucros with 244 in skinning? I have just a tad more than you in skinning and cant seem to get it above muddled or so. Can you give some tips as to what you do to lock skinning? IE do you kneel, what you use to skin with and so on.

Blue
Re: skinning 05/15/2004 02:38 PM CDT
Sure. If I throw up a full cast of HOL, i'll be skinning a wee bit too well to lock. Though I will make a nice bundle to sell. That'll put me to about muddled-perplexed when hunting.

If I drop hol to 30-40 I'll be getting so so hides, or not getting any sometimes. I use a skinning knife and don't kneel. Find the leucs, kill em, arrange, skin, repeat.

Jalika
Re: skinning 05/15/2004 03:03 PM CDT
Ran a quick test of it. 245 skin now, 32 agility.

Put up a hol of 40. After skinning 7 leucs i was muddled, 11 put at me at bewildering, but I pulsed. took 16 to lock.

I had pulled a hide off every leuc, and got a trophy pelt about 6 or 7 times. If I was gonna do it again to maximize exp, I'd probably drop hol to 30-35 so I'd be getting more mediocre pelts rather than those trophies.

Jalika
Re: skinning 05/16/2004 04:12 AM CDT
Thanks Jalika, I was casting HOL at the max I could do. I'll back off on it 30-35 or so and not use the orb. I can cast HOl at that level without cambrinth, plus its a bit faster to cast. My agility is only 31 but I am planning on raising it after I get intelligence to 35, which should be soon.

Blue
skinning 11/25/2008 01:50 PM CST
I was attacked by six critters. I killed them. I then arranged them for skinning by the time I was finished with that 3 had decayed away. Is there any news on the skinning rewrite please?

Also haven't tried to make a hunters longbow yet after speaking to Guildleader Tolle on the technique so I cannot say how buggy it is or not.

Celitha