Fun times 03/29/2004 11:44 AM CST
These last posts got me thinking back to when i first played back in 97, i had a barbarian and went with a friend to the reaver caves. hehe, we had no idea what we were doing or how to get down there and I fell down the shaft and died, it was a fiasco for us to figure out how to get me back outta there. eventually we got help, but it was hilarious.
Also, just the other day i had my first really embarrasing ranger moment. Up on the hill right outside of crossing, in wood trolls, etc. I got my leg basically smashed off and I couldn't climb down the hill anymore so a thief had to go get an empath for me, a ranger, who couldn't climb the hill... ;)

Till next time!

Dryln
Re: Fun times 03/30/2004 10:04 AM CST
Its nice to reminisce on those events in the past. Sometimes I still have good times like that. It helps others bring back memories too.

Thanks for the remembrances.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Fun times 03/30/2004 02:56 PM CST
Ah, those good old days. Like two days ago when I was exploring on the Seerah, and got stuck on the brig. Had to repeatedly cast CAIS until the tide changed and I was able to swim out. Doh!

Jalika
Re: Fun times 03/31/2004 02:44 PM CST
Oh my little adventure when I started out with my very first Character. Wasian. =P

Walking around... Oh, hello monk!, next thing I know, Oh hello Goblin. Advancing me, didn't even know how to retreat. Screaming OH GOD ITS COMING AT ME! and next thing I know, jibby jab, BAM! Dead... Hell almost didn't know how to sheath or draw my weapon. sniffle I do miss my ignorance of the past. So much fun, know I feel I know too much, and the game has lost its edge =(

Geuno Krysuntaye - Making a come back...

http://www.ryananime.freeservers.com/Story.html Life in Dragon Realms. (InsightfulWaZn - Tell me what you think so far)
Re: Fun times 03/31/2004 02:58 PM CST
Aahh the good old days of just starting out..

My first adventure in DR. Once I joined the Ranger guild and heard Kalika's little speech, she said to go explore, so what did I do? Yup you betcha! I went and explored and the first gate I came to was the NE gate so I said 'hmmm wonder where this goes?' So I took it..and decided that Northish looked good. Kept going along way, reading the wonderful room discriptions, watching other people fly by. Then I came along another of the many paths I noticed and thought "hmmm wonder what will happen if I type take path or go path?" So I did. Wandered around my new found area for a minute or two, and saw this thing that I didn't see in the other rooms and I thought 'Wonder what the heck a ferenae Reaver is?" Then it was "hmm I don't think that it advancing me is a good thing." No weapon, no armor, no idea how to get one out if I had too.
I lasted approx. 30 minutes my first time in the realms before my first death at the axe of a Reaver. And I didn't know how to depart, when I figured it out, I had NO clue where I was..

Ahhhh the good old days, I loved that day.

Be well

>Motarra
Re: Fun times 03/31/2004 03:05 PM CST
My 2 top fun times were hearing a ghost crying and going to help and finding a castle with jail cells and had to look around. I did not survive.

Sylvado

"It's not much of an adventure without risk."
Re: Fun times 03/31/2004 04:54 PM CST
Best time gorbesh war, getting put on a catapult by the gorbesh and catapulted to my death over the wall.

then departing and ending by leth with the rest of the people because the temple was destroyed. (boy i do miss that 4 room temple) so many people running around naked and weaponless, and there wasn't brawling so you had to find someone that was able to get you at least a knife to start over. when i got re-equipped there was something of a barricade blocking our way north of leth boy the fun days.

Nimmo "Cabana Boy"

There are two ways of meeting difficulties, you alter the difficulties or you alter yourself to overcome them.

If you are not riding the wave of change, You will find yourself beneath it. So swim ranger swim.
Re: Fun times 03/31/2004 04:59 PM CST
damn, i somehow feel cheated. i started playing because of my girlfriend who (at the time) was a mentor...so i didn't get into [much] trouble when i was little...she showed me the arcanewolf website, ranik's maps, etc., and was always there when i had to ask at circle 1 "how hard is a cougar?"

::pouts::

-Ace
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 01:26 AM CST
Climbin the cliff to scout ogres with Ractegson and Zeroch at 5th circle, didn't last long there. Wandering into the fens during my first visit to Lang and trying to tangle with peccs. Lil piggies can't be much tougher than wild boars or musk hogs right?

Makrel

Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 06:20 AM CST
My best times in realms:

My first character during the Beta, bought a cloak, and went out the east gate. Got him lost and rolled up a new character cause I was so lost. LOL.

When Striderr was a novice.. You know that was when all your friends you made in combat. Back in the day the spawn rate for field goblins was sloooooow so you ended up talking to people in the rooms with you. I also remember my times in Ship rats. They were great times because the lands seemed so new I would stop and just read everything. The wow factor was high.

Speaking of combat, who here still remembers when Severing a rock troll's arm was more dangerous then it having a weapon? I still laugh whenever I think about all the times I heard "CALW TROLL" and saw everyone backing off in combat. I also miss it that rock trolls don't throw boulders aymore... bah

The first Taisadon quest... it really felt like a camping trip at the end of the first night. Was fun just sitting around the tents and then heading out to hunt the creatures on the plains.

My first time using a bow, I came from GS3 where there was no combat ranges at the time so I was like WOW now this is combat!

The time me and Wispra went to go save Snarfers in the hunting preserve. This is a true event that lead to the book "No Ranger stands alone" that was a fun time.

When Ilithi opened, was just funny seeing like 30 people on the gondola getting all worried with the rocking messaging.

The Gorbesh war, I mean Treveri, whether you loved him or hated him did a masterpiece with this event. Nothing in my eyes has lived up to it since. I remember logging off in Crossing one night and waking up and the city was occupied. Was alot of fun telling everyone still left into the city to form a resistance base at the Ranger guild.

Just friends, I mean you guys are what makes the game to me.

Oh yeah and I can't forget this one... taking Snare hunting in Blood Wolves when we were young, I think I am the only one who got Snare killed on a hunting trip, This is pretty much what started his standard of dragging people to hunting areas to hunt they really shouldn't have been in.

~ Striderr Slayn ~ Ranger

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Still reading? What kind of a Secret Agent are you?
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 09:36 AM CST
oh soo true you can't discount a fun time unless you were with snare. him having me lick a mushroom, and me telling him no way i heard about you, he goes here look i do it. He licks so i lick it. a few minutes later massive bleeders everywhere, he bets me 100 plats he lives longer, i just laugh my butt off thinking he's nuts, oh and then him taking me cliff diving. Oh the days. I really do miss them old days where everything was new and it wasn't too much about the numbers.

Nimmo "Cabana Boy"

There are two ways of meeting difficulties, you alter the difficulties or you alter yourself to overcome them.

If you are not riding the wave of change, You will find yourself beneath it. So swim ranger swim.
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 09:41 AM CST
It's all still new to me. What number?

I miss Snare :<

~Dulcinia

Legian says, "once at a wedding they were serving chicken legs... never been bitten so much in ma life."

Arcath says, "if archers are involved I usually just keep the empaths company until it's over"
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 09:50 AM CST
>> It's all still new to me. What number?<<

who has highest in skills or circle? it was just about lets try this or that out, no one cared if you could take em or not since none of the people going against it knew anything about it. so it was all a mystery and we just wanted to give it a try.

Nimmo "Cabana Boy"

Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 09:57 AM CST
These are why I stay, there is still times I find something new (to me) and am like 'Wow'.

Mot's second big adventure, after the first 30mins of life turning to death at the hands of a Reaver was:

I decided I wanted to see what this Shard was all about that everyone was raving about.

So I asked what direction is it. And headed out south. Mind you, I didn't discover maps or websites with helpful infor till about 2 years after I started playing and just bumbled around on my own. So I head out to Shard, and somehow, hours later I arrive. At 6th circle, Shard was a little much back then, I ran into a Thief, wish I remembered her name, she told me Shard at night was not safe, took me out..bought me my first Katar (damn her now I'm stuck with it! hehe) and put me on the Gondola. Got of the Gondola, went a room or two and saw something I've never seen or heard of before.."What the hell is a Snow Beast? It can't be good and it's advancing on me!!" Well, I was stupid, didn't know better, whipped out my trusty bow and shot it, repeatedly missing..then all of a sudden I hit it, and again..it hit me and I lived, I fired and it died! I was extremely proud, and shaking because that was exciting and fun and better then a stupid musk hog!! ::howls!::.

Little did I know that a lowly 6th circle Ranger had no right killing a Snow Beast, much less hitting it.

:::Ranger. Live the adventure::

Be well

>Motarra
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 09:57 AM CST
I guess I still don't care about that. At least, most of the time I don't. I don't like being prodded for my numbers. I'd rather interact with people and all that silly stuff that makes the game fun for me, and a game rather than a second job.

~Dulcinia

Legian says, "once at a wedding they were serving chicken legs... never been bitten so much in ma life."

Arcath says, "if archers are involved I usually just keep the empaths company until it's over"
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 10:05 AM CST
Yeah I really don't give much thought to numbers though I am heavily working my own skills just for myself now. It's fun.

<tickles Dulcinia>

Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 10:14 AM CST
<<At 6th circle, Shard was a little much back then, I ran into a Thief, wish I remembered her name, she told me Shard at night was not safe, took me out..bought me my first Katar

Wasn't Shard Shaydee's haunt? Regardless, I didn't meet a thief that told me it wasn't safe at night on my first trip. I didn't survive that either.

Sylvado

Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 11:17 AM CST
I remeber back in the day I was exploring Ratha and got stuck on the top tier, After a day of waiting for someone to pass me by, I took matters into my own hands. I tired everything from casting room swarms trying to get arrested, and then trying to kill myself which didn't work. So I decided to go hunt saliors and zombies for some quick cash; Well to make a long story short I was quickly throw into a jail cell and couldn't pick my way out of there. I assisted, I reported, I begged on the thief boards, well finally some gm got tired of my pestering and sent out a vision to all moonies, and someone finally came a grabbed me after being stuck up there for 5 rl days.

Never been back to the 4th tier since.

Da Not So Madd Webba

You might as well pay attention since your ass can't afford free speech
I?m taking back the nice and putting on the angry face

I was all for the revolution, till i found out it was contigent on corporate sponsorship
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 11:46 AM CST
Ever pick one of those boulders up? Assuming of course you dodged successfully when the rockie threw it. No Circle or skill check requirement to climb the barricade. Wish I had kept one.

Group rescues into the Reaver mine for bodies.

Finding S'lai Scouts. Or them finding me. Wait that was the arrows that found me first. Interesting how they never dropped those short bows they used.

Wandering into Cave bears. And wandering...and wandering...

Starting out in LP and a Dwarven battle axe and wondering why I had a so much harder time with stealth and was dead tired after swinging twice...

Daereth
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 04:36 PM CST
Some of the highlights of the game for me.

Snare taking me and a couple others to Snowies and showing us how to dance with 20 at a time. (Yes it was possible)

Micwolf raising me after I died at the hands of an Arbelog. 1st raise, didn't even know there was raise

Discovering Arthe Dale

After about 2 weeks in the realms I heard that Theren had just opened up, I got the idea to go and see it. I discovered Theren, Thunder Rams, and death number 6.

After playing about a week, I got lost wandering in crossing, ended up on a ferry to Let getting off I wandered into the shadows on the way discovering dryads and Nyads. Figuring they were death I hid, and they started searching for me, calling out..."I know your here Molenir" Totally freaked me out!

The opening of Shard! What a blast.

Finding my way into the fortress, and having a Barb friend buy me an amulet that let us foolishly wander into the Hive. (When it was first discovered, a warmie found out how to get the amulets and sold them for 10 plat a pop)

Its just a game!

Mole

Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off.
Some people are heroes. And some people jot down notes.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Re: Fun times 04/01/2004 04:39 PM CST
>>>Snare taking me and a couple others to Snowies and showing us how to dance with 20 at a time. (Yes it was possible)

I'll never forget that. I was so in awe of Snare back then.

~Dulcinia

Re: Fun times 04/02/2004 09:19 AM CST
>who has highest in skills or circle? it was just about lets try this or that out, no one cared if you could take em or not since none of the people going against it knew anything about it. so it was all a mystery and we just wanted to give it a try.

Sometimes I get in a stretch where I'll do the numbers but I'm not hardcore that way. I don't even have a training script that teaches a few different skills though I'll probably get one going soon.
At times I (and I'm sure others do too) still like to venture out even though I may get creamed. I just try to let people know I'm going or its because people let me know they were going.

*Oldest fun times.

-Licking lava in firesprites, licking a sword, kissing a firesprite.
-Rescue up the cart tracks.
-Rescuing my self (already mentioned I think) in reavers.
-Hunting trips with new friends when I was maybe 5th circle Sylvir (not sylviir) on AOL.

*Not so old fun times.
-Hunting spiders with Knal and we switched back using my acid etched cinqueada (that is the oldest thing I have from when I started) in the mines below Theren Keep. It was somewhat new to us and was fun kneeling when you had to (when balance obviously wasn't quite as bad as now) and workin' on them spiders and trying to stay alive.
-Gorbesh invasion
-Pirate invasion (close to the same time as gorbesh?) Anyway, I think that was the time the bridge by the bank was blown up. So I helped stay guard on the only other bridge connecting town. I don't like pirates so much anymore because they seem just too hard to fight than those older ones. Grr.
-Checking out Treveri's place...slightly freaking out seeing the gorbesh hiding in the 'lab' but enjoying the pool and waterfall.
-Kylii rescued me on a number of occasions and pulled me from spirits north of leth. That was a funny rescue. Only priest I ever met who works soley for tips. I thought that real odd.
-mixing some ingredients wrong and creating a gas cloud like the gas trap in the boxes. I wonder if that trick still works.

*New fun times.
-Some fun times on Aesry and new areas
-Sorrow's invasion, though it was the messiest war and I didn't like boiling oil being poured on me. Still there were some good times there.
-Found the ferry to the Throne Island and didn't realize you needed coin to get back. Had a few interesting adventures while I was there.
-In Dragon priests on rescue with Dulci and Alle and an empath (can't remember the name) trying to find the tombs after death to dig 'em up before you can drag 'em. Haha...we thought up that trail was a safe spot because nothing showed up for a loooong while.
-Ssugi Malchata on my own then later with (don't remember the other ranger) but I had stalked around in there and gwethed 'How hard are malchata's' while I was already in there. They're not good. I got killed and dragged and so did the other ranger (not sure which order). I think we were testing PLS or some new spell on them. Sylvado or Arcutniol? It was a good time.

There were other good times, though nothing is quite like being brand spanking new to the game. Sorry for not remembering names. I have to keep a text file to many remember names and how I knew them and I'm not to regular on doing that.

Oh...also...I paid back those undershard baddies for throwin' powder at me and dragging me down there after I gained a few more circles. I've paid back those scout ogres for being good with those crossbows. They made me want to learn the light crossbow so I could pick up one of their weapons and kill them with it.

Re: Fun times 04/02/2004 09:37 AM CST
No it wasn't me and that is the third time I had to read that post, are you done with the edit and delete now?

Sylvado

Re: Fun times 04/02/2004 02:43 PM CST
>No it wasn't me and that is the third time I had to read that post, are you done with the edit and delete now?

Heh...umm...yeah.

Re: Fun times 04/02/2004 08:28 PM CST
>>Snare taking me and a couple others to Snowies and showing us how to dance with 20 at a time. (Yes it was possible)<<

Hmm was that where you'll kneel down with a shield and learned evasion but never got hit? i forget or it was kneeling with something? god the good old days when things were all new and broken was sure fun.

Nimmo "Cabana Boy"

Re: Fun times 04/02/2004 08:48 PM CST
Nope it didn't involve kneeling.

~Dulcinia

Re: Fun times 04/03/2004 01:46 AM CST
Heh, its been years but lets see...

If I remember right, the issue was that only three snowies could fit around you at a time. So, you get your critters, and as soon as a new one walked in, you retreated to missle. All the snowies would then engage you, but only 3 would get to you successfully, the others would get stuck at pole and just sit there and howl. Repeat, and the snowies just keep coming. Since you have all the critters, the game would sort of assume you needed more, and keep gening new ones, who you would then add to your collection. I think the most I ever managed to get at once was 29. Keep in mind this was a dangerous game, because under the right set of circumstances, they could all engage you at once, in which case you were toast.

Mole

Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off.
Some people are heroes. And some people jot down notes.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Re: Fun times 04/03/2004 12:41 PM CST
Some of my personal ones have to be:

-When the sight of a claw troll would make people run in fear... but better yet, if you were feeling really lucky you'd go hunt cave bears... if you were feeling dangerous, you'd get yourself lost in the maze up there.

-Camping outside the snowbeast lair waiting for someone to come out so that you can race in and hopefully grab one of the three rooms in there.

-Calling for moon mages to gate deaders out of guardians because nobody in the game had nearly enough skill to drag out. All deaders from that viper/leuc/guardian area (new area at the time) would be taken up to the waterfall.

-Having to hope for really good luck or just wait until after midnight to get one of the two or three 'good' hunting rooms in those forementioned areas since they were always full.

-The days before pet clerics/empaths were mainstream, when you'd actually have to run or drag to a spot that was designated as the cleric/empath room for that particular area to get help (in extreme cases, running to the hospital in the Crossing before you died of viper poison).

Ahh the good old days...

-Spirit
Re: Fun times 05/11/2004 10:52 AM CDT
My favorite thing when I was just a little one, I decided one day that Theren seemed far enough away from everybody, and went wondering around the keep. I found a door, it was locked (I love locks that can be picked!). Being naturally curious, I decided to pick the lock. I picked it a few times, this thing came out, lopped my head off, and I spent hours trying to explain to my friends back in crossing through peigons where I was, and how to get there. This was back when the farthest north you could go was crossing, and we didn't have islands to explore. hehe... I still haven't learned my lesson about locked doors, I still love picking them, I just jump to the next room when I hear the click. ::grins::

The mind behind Elentari
Re: Fun times 05/11/2004 04:34 PM CDT
I loved that door, especially the time it skewered one of my exes.

<cackle>

~Dulcinia

"Just melt her down and you'll reveal
A lump of lead as cold as steel
Here, where a woman's heart should be."
--Alma Hix
Re: Fun times 05/11/2004 04:51 PM CDT
LOL That is a fun door, it still there? I also love the sign at the top tower, no diving.

Re: Fun times 05/11/2004 06:38 PM CDT
first time i took the plunge off the tower i managed to survive. heheh. there was an empath running around the moat. i think its awesome how you could run around with severe bleeders over most of yoru body and live.

-urivil
Re: Fun times 11/20/2004 07:54 PM CST
The most fun I ever had was with my first character which was a War Mage... within 3 days of being in the realms I was tossing Fire Shards at Thieves during the War Mage/Thief Guild Wars. Man that was a blast... I was dying so often and never circling so I didnt even know what favors were for a month or two. Not until I leveled finally and then ended up walking. Soon after I started a Thief character just for the sheer challenge of finding the entrance. Survival Prime stuck with me and here I am today...

-Too Many Characters to List-