Discoveries 01/23/2004 06:21 PM CST
Nostalgia alert!

As a Ranger, exploring is practically my duty. Most of my best memories are from exploring new areas, and just not knowing what one is going to find. This is why I discourage the use of player-made maps, at least for the first time you enter an area...it becomes a keystroke routine and not so much a new area. Better yet...make your own map.

I once climbed the Greater Fist (right after it erupted) with Snare and Burlock, only to find Pentaith sitting on the summit waiting for us...how'd he get up there so fast? We took the cart down...it was fun, and new, and great, even if there wasn't anything to hunt.

Even earlier than that, there was Lang...and the hunting area northeast of El Bain's that resulted in Dhelt getting blown to pieces by exploding sun vultures a number of times, and battling skeletons for the first time with Cressida, one of the better Rangers of that time. Another good experience was investigating the hunting preserve in its early days with Fargo, who was (I think) a Barbarian...we were beseiged by a horde of angry water sprites and he berserked himself to sleep, and nobody could find the way out...good times... <g> ...and, very nice ambient effects around the abandoned mansion in the preserve. Somebody deserves some credit for that one.

Dhelt seemed to have a lucky streak, in that he would stumble across new areas before a lot of people, mention them, and then be obligated to lead a bunch of higher-level folks back there to investigate them. The flipside of that was an unusually high death total, of course...but it aided role-playing immensely. No longer was going to hunt Faenrae about the weapon range they trained, or hunting S'lai because they left good treasure (they used to...do they now?) but just because, hell, it was interesting to mix it up. Beisswurms, too...not a terribly helpful creature in any sense, but hey, there was that crazy frozen thing.

Waxing poetic,

Zanabi
(formerly Dhelt)
Re: Discoveries 01/28/2004 10:09 AM CST
Nice post...

Lemme remember.

When I started as Sylvir back in AOL days, I remember I was fifth circle and ventured into Reavers with a group of people and a fightin' trader as the group lead. That was pretty crazy, and we couldn't even hit them that well. I had never left crossing gobs and didn't know where I was or how to drag or how to get back out except in the group. I advanced on someones familiar by mistake and couldn't sell skins to the tanner for a while. It was hectic in there as we were in over our heads but we had fun and everyone made it out alive. Anyone who could take out a couple reavers single-handed seemed like a real powerful person back then.

Then I remember a time we heard there was good treasure in Slai so we headed up on in there. Hectic, fun, and somewhat out of our league but we found a box none of us could open and had some good gems in there when it did get opened.

Went into reavers alone to check out the mine shaft for the first time and ended up dead, had to climb my way back down nekkid and barely just alive. That was exhilerating, reavers tryin' to attack, I'm nekkid tryin' to get my stuff on, then trying to climb back out and fallin more than climbing and hiding from reavers until I could stand up and climb again.

Another time, someone came into the guild asking help for some folks stuck on the fist, one dead from a flyby cart. Never been there before but had maps and said, sure, why not. Met a whole bunch of people that day and made two successful rescues and came down in a cart.

Used to do free-for-alls in vines and creepers on the occasions I hunted in a group. Basically when the room go too full to see then we'd call a free for all and everyone would grab up all the treasure they could from the ground.

Had some really fun rescues way back when in guardians, vipers, vykathi and more recently in ssugi malchata (them things are way nasty).

There's more but, then, I'm starting to ramble.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Discoveries 01/28/2004 11:05 AM CST
>>Used to do free-for-alls in vines and creepers on the occasions I hunted in a group. Basically when the room go too full to see then we'd call a free for all and everyone would grab up all the treasure they could from the ground.<<

haha i love those old days, remember they dropped tons of boxes, OMG we were rich back then

Nimmo "Cabana Boy"

Nimmo brings his cupped hand forward and pulls it back, holds a flat palm above his eyes and then brings his cupped hand forward and pulls it back.
Re: Discoveries 01/28/2004 03:32 PM CST
Nimmo it wasn't they dropped tons of boxes it was just that the boxes actually had money in them those days. In reavers you got a few gold per box. Remember Old Garg Boxes? Full of plats.

~ Striderr Slayn ~ Ranger

"Insert Witty comment here"
Re: Discoveries 01/28/2004 03:56 PM CST
actually when vines and creepers were first introduced they did drop a ton of boxes. it was great, until everyone else discovered the same thing...

me and and a pally friend of mine would camp there for days... it would get to the point where i would be picking the whole time while he fought, or we'd jsut have to stop picking up boxes because we were both too full.

Quidri

Fayre says, "Trails are way better than moongates, at least trails don't close on you and incinerate you."
Re: Discoveries 01/28/2004 04:09 PM CST
Good post indeed. And it does make me often wonder whether I am truly doing enhancing the experience by having maps up only hours after releases. I've always figured though if I don't, someone else will.

>>Another time, someone came into the guild asking help for some folks stuck on the fist, one dead from a flyby cart. Never been there before but had maps and said, sure, why not. Met a whole bunch of people that day and made two successful rescues and came down in a cart.

Mighta been me cept I remember it was a Moon Mage that saved me. Being the dunce I was I just had to know what happened if a cart hit me. :)

-Ranik
Re: Discoveries 01/29/2004 09:42 AM CST
>Good post indeed. And it does make me often wonder whether I am truly doing enhancing the experience by having maps up only hours after releases. I've always figured though if I don't, someone else will.

>Ranik

I'm not sure what your reasons are for making maps but I wouldn't doubt yourself. Sometimes I make my own with various notes and then compare them to yours and Kythryn's. Folks can download your maps or not.

There are adventurers of many different levels. Some go to new areas completely blind, some use the map only as a reference, and I'm sure some use them as a bible and some probably even write scripts directly from them.

I really appreciate that you and others take the time to make detailed maps and post them for download. Sometimes I'm using another PC and just need a quick reference so I can just search on the web for a DR map and find it.

On the rescue, I don't believe you were one of the people we rescued. A few days later I went back and another group was rescuing someone else on the tracks so it happens every now and then I suppose. I took a ride back down again on a cart and someday I'll go back and try to steer one to see if I can tip it over just to see what happens.

I wished I had never deleted my logs pre migration DR. I wish I could remember some of the names.

Oh, btw, for anyone wanting to ride a cart. If you drop anything while riding in a cart, it doesn't (didn't when I did it anyway) go in the cart. It stays on the tracks at the point where the cart was when the item was dropped. So you'll have to jump out and travel back up the mountain to find it.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Discoveries 01/29/2004 09:44 AM CST
I love your maps i wouldnt' change them for the world

Nimmo "Cabana Boy"

Nimmo brings his cupped hand forward and pulls it back, holds a flat palm above his eyes and then brings his cupped hand forward and pulls it back.
Re: Discoveries 01/31/2004 05:14 PM CST
Ranik -

Your maps are awesome. Awesome. No offense intended. I have used maps since Zepath first made them for DR, and when you need them, they are great to have. :) Do not stop.

Zanabi/Dhelt
Re: Discoveries 02/14/2004 02:07 PM CST
>>Your maps are awesome. Awesome. No offense intended. I have used maps since Zepath first made them for DR, and when you need them, they are great to have. :) Do not stop.

I very much agree.

Between knowing people that absolutely depend on your maps in order to be able to play the game enjoyably to the latest craze from the GMs of coming out with death-trap areas, which I don't find all that fun, I truly appreciate your work.

I mapped a few areas back in the old days and I'm really glad I don't have to do it anymore.

-pete