BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/28/2014 11:07 PM CST
Yeah, my bad. It's a pity party. We should be thankful that we've had no guild development in years and should embrace downtweaks or status qou. That's exactly why the ranger folders are teeming with life.

<<What I have not seen is any ranger post testing data in the 3.1 folder. No, hair pulling, shrieking, reactionary, posting to the announcement of something is not testing. Pretty much every other guild has some in depth testing done. But rangers...no, they just must suck SO MUCH that it's not worth testing.

Its funny how you think you matter.

Falker
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/28/2014 11:37 PM CST
I hope you realize that you're completely torpedoing any inclination Kodius has to consider your interests.

Kodius is heavily data-driven. The fact that you decided to pout like a child when he asked for Rangers to join in on the testing isn't going to help your cause.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 12:46 AM CST
Ya, because me pointing out the reason why rangers havent been involved, is the reason rangers arent involved. I could equally have said nothing, and we would have the same result. No one doing or saying anything.

Anytime anyone says anything that could remotely offend a GM, we have the carebear squad roll in to the rescue. And..... The ranger folder will remain dead. Dont worry Pureblade, you've done your job for the day.

Falker
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 07:27 AM CST
>>Ya, because me pointing out the reason why rangers havent been involved, is the reason rangers arent involved.

You're not going to get a new toy on every trip to the store. Sometimes we've got to just go and buy the things we need to run the house. 3.1's magic review seems to be one of those times for rangers.

>>I could equally have said nothing, and we would have the same result. No one doing or saying anything.

There would have been one less steaming pile in Kodius's 'why should I keep spending my free time on these people...' column.

>>Anytime anyone says anything that could remotely offend a GM, we have the carebear squad roll in to the rescue.

They realize that the GMs are volunteers.

>>And..... The ranger folder will remain dead.

Calling people morons and carebears isn't going to revive it.
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 07:28 AM CST
Just FYI, I don't bother reading conflict posts with my name on them, kinda pointless. I can assume it's because I called you a self pitying sadsack who actively self damages his chances of having any proactive work done.

I could break out what every guild lost/gained in 3.0 and 3.1. But no. Rangers are ALWAYS the biggest self pity part in the game, they never talk about anything other than how screwed they get with everything.

You haven't tested. You haven't posted data. You haven't, in fact, done anything other than whine and cry.

So no, I don't feel particularly inclined to care what you posted about me. Maybe you should just prove me wrong and go test something.
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 08:18 AM CST
>>I could equally have said nothing, and we would have the same result.

Not really, because it was explicitly your negative whine sob response of woe that did what it did.

A non-response would have just been a non-response, and could have been chalked up to anything.

>>Anytime anyone says anything that could remotely offend a GM, we have the carebear squad roll in to the rescue. And..... The ranger folder will remain dead.

Oh yes, I never argue with GMs ever. This is a fact that is in the history books due to how accurate it is. Your idiotic attitude definitely has nothing to do with anything being dead or not.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 09:00 AM CST
Ok guys, this isn't worth fighting over. A better expenditure of energy would be promoting non-companion/magic related ideas for improving the Guild. Things I am capable of doing. Maybe some tie-in to the new maneuver system. Maybe something else. I'm not really familiar with what Guild-related development is desired.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 09:00 AM CST
<<AKA Moron>>

that had to sting

Also i'm sure your guild sucks but I remember the day you guys got branch break and WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LETS BB RAGRAN

IT DOESNT HURT ANYMORE IM OVER IT OKAY SO JUST PLEASE STOP
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 10:09 AM CST
KODIUS IS CLEARLY SAYING THE RANGER GUILD ISNT WORTH FIGHTING OVER.

I HAVE MAPS AND CHARTS THAT PROVE MY OPPRESSION.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 10:30 AM CST
Jesus compost piles really do attract flies...

Kodius would you mind reposting your question in a different folder? Having it buried in the compost pile while ironic given the threads topic probably wont get very many helpful responses.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 11:04 AM CST
<<Jesus compost piles really do attract flies...>>

wait was that a compliment or an insult? Im about to BLLOW UPP and i need to know right now what you think you mean by that.
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 11:41 AM CST
You want to know what I think I meant or what I actually meant... how about that the thread received more posts by unique people(ie not just the same people posting again and again) in 12 hours than the entire Ranger section in the last month+.

But if you wanted to blow up... um you smell bad? Though it isn't surprising considering your hanging around a compost pile.

Tev is there a thread you won't stick your nose in or do you have some kind of posting condition similar to Tourettes.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 11:46 AM CST
>>Tev is there a thread you won't stick your nose in or do you have some kind of posting condition similar to Tourettes.

Show New Messages, All Categories and Topics 4 lyfe

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 11:51 AM CST
So the answer is no for the first half of my question and yes for the second half, gotcha.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 01:14 PM CST
My favorite thing on the forums ever is watching someone getting indignant about the fact that I post a reply.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 04:18 PM CST
Kodius, I'm sure as a GM you know all the stuff you want tested and think we all know that too, but in my case (and I suspect a few others) we don't. You dip your hand into so many folders (combat, armor, what not). Would you mind telling us what you would like tested? (posted this in responses but don't know where you will look so...). We aren't fighting OVER testing, we are fighting over Falker's doomsday approach. (But we love you still, Falker and you Arctuniol!).

See, Kodius, ranger guild has a whole range of folks in it. Some of us are real anti-social, don't go into town unless I'm dying kind of folks. Heh, I once knew a ranger (way back when and haven't seen him in years) who actually was a hunting lodge manager in the boonies of Canada who during the winter months, when the lodge was cut off, would power up his computer by bicycle power, canoe down river for supplies and ski doo the supplies back to the cabin. That's an extreme but goes to show you huh? So if you think it is hard to get us to test, know that it is harder to get us to hold the Naked Ranger Race and we actually LIKE doing that.

Please don't give up on us. If you hang with us, we will turn around.

Zinaca and her full-grown raccoon, Shadow

PS Zinaca dusts off her leather-fringe pom poms and ponders cheerleading for the guild again, glances at Purnay and runs like hell
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/29/2014 05:32 PM CST
i've always liked zinaca.

But this time I can't tell whether or not she just paying lip service or whether she really is committed to turning her life around. You have a lot of potential so hang in.
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 01/30/2014 04:59 PM CST
We haven't even been to the store so we wouldn't know what a new toy is.

Arct
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 02/05/2014 05:44 PM CST
I will steal the toy.

Jalika
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/15/2014 01:57 AM CDT
>>I hope you realize that you're completely torpedoing any inclination Kodius has to consider your interests.

To be honest, I kind of agree with Falk. For one, he was only merely commenting on the line about "ranger folders being dead." And his conclusion is actually pretty accurate. The reason anything becomes dormant like this, is because people have lost the actual trust/faith their comments matter, or that something will actually happen.

The rangers have gone through at least 2-3 GMs, and many years, with pretty nearly no development. For many years we have heard GMs say to suggest things. But the same things happen...they seem to fall on deaf ears. No one has really carried our torch since Jent. Our folders are filled with suggestions dating back years of ideas, with nothing actually changing. And the changes that do happen have all merely been essentially nerfs. So yes, it does make it kind of hard to get excited. It's kind of a cry wolf effect.

Even now, most of the changes taking place are things to get Ranger's integrated in and working well with the new systems and mechanics taking place. I don't know how much of it is, "these guys haven't been inspired for years. They need a little love to keep that heart pumping."

That being said, I'd be glad to check over things and suggest changes and make comments on stuff. But I don't know if I can/will hold my breath for them. It's just one of those things that just needs to be kept in mind. The client being dealt with here, is one who's hasn't seen something actually come through in years. So while we all do appreciate you looking at and trying things Kodius, the past hasn't been very reinforcing.

~Van
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/15/2014 09:47 AM CDT
>The rangers have gone through at least 2-3 GMs, and many years, with pretty nearly no development. For many years we have heard GMs say to suggest things. But the same things happen...they seem to fall on deaf ears. No one has really carried our torch since Jent. Our folders are filled with suggestions dating back years of ideas, with nothing actually changing. And the changes that do happen have all merely been essentially nerfs. So yes, it does make it kind of hard to get excited. It's kind of a cry wolf effect.

This applies to EVERY. SINGLE. GUILD. In DR. Rangers aren't really special in this sense. Heck, when was the last time traders got some love? Paladins? Pre 3.0, how about Bards? Even thieves haven't had anything done since the khri rewrite before 3.1. Saying 'we have it rough because no Dev and no GMs hasn't ever really flown.

Also, did we really need to revive the 6 month dead conflict?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/17/2014 12:26 AM CDT
>>So while we all do appreciate you looking at and trying things Kodius, the past hasn't been very reinforcing.

Too bad. GM is disappoint.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/18/2014 02:46 PM CDT
So Kodius and Raesh stun us with some meaningful changes that make our ranger hearts go wow!Ok, I'm asking the impossible but it's always good to aim high right? Thank you all GMs who do any kind of work on rangers.

As for this happening to every single guild. Traders had a major improvement with the new shops and the caravans. Clerics has some really nice undead spells (and my question is, why don't we rangers have that as we use life mana and undead kinda upsets us). Moonies have had bunches of work done for them and major changes but I don't know specifics since I don't play one but a friend of mine came back to resume his moonie character and was stunned at all the major changes. Empaths have new spells to help healing and hunting, and barbs have nice abilities all new stuff. I don't know about warmies and pallies and necros nor bards or thieves so they all could be in the same boat as rangers.

I'm not asking for rangers to have exact parity with other guild but to have guild effective changes that support rangerdom, so I'm not turning this into guild v guild. Just saying there has been work done on some guilds and less work done on rangers. Unless it's behind the scenes which of course we don't know about. GMs have the best stealth in game.

Zinaca and her baby wolf, Lucky
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/18/2014 04:42 PM CDT
My point was more that each guild has had tough times of poor development. Clerics, for example, spent 5-10 years as little more than rejuve and rezz monkeys, when a GM responsible for running the game flat out said they would never, ever, have a TM spell that effected the living. Empaths spent 15 years as healbots, unable to infringe on the living without shock, which wasn't really removable so you were just done with that char.

I could go on. So no, Rangers don't get any special sympathy from me. They haven't really had the worst end of the stick ever in DR history as so many seem to claim. Have they had it rough? Sure. Most guilds have.

>and my question is, why don't we rangers have that as we use life mana and undead kinda upsets us

Undead and life mana do not work that way in DR, is the simple answer. I'd suggest researching it. Or posting in the magic folders about it for a detailed explanation.

And honest to god, did you just cite trader caravans as development for that guild?

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/18/2014 04:54 PM CDT
>>Clerics has some really nice undead spells (and my question is, why don't we rangers have that as we use life mana and undead kinda upsets us)

Because Undead slaying is more of a Holy magic thing than a Life magic thing?

We've done Undead specific spells for Rangers in the past (Plague of Scavengers IIRC). I'm honestly unaware of they whys and hows where our stance changed over time, I'm really not that involved larger Ranger Development beyond magic systems.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/19/2014 09:46 PM CDT
Well I figure as life mana users we would be upset over necros undead flunkies since they aren't life. Just an opinion.

As for caravans, I mean the ride on the top of design your own caravan, carry your caravan all over the place. As for shops, they used to use tent and now have shops which I think is better for high end traders. I wish the lower end traders would use tent so those who don't have rich folks could buy stuff at decent prices.

As for someone feeling we rangers haven't suffered enough, well that's a matter of opinion but hesitation on our part to embrace GMs working with us was kinda shredded by Sithix's work or not work on companions and then his departure. So we get in a rut. GMs ask for ideas (there should be a library of them somewhere--didn't Edhala leave one) anyway GM asks for ideas, we give ideas, much posting and hope, GM leaves or prevented to work on whatever it was. Over and over and see why we are reticent?

Still work is work, and I appreciate GM attention and hope (I'm everhopeful) we get new stuff.

Zinaca and her baby wolf, Lucky
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/19/2014 11:20 PM CDT
>Well I figure as life mana users we would be upset over necros undead flunkies since they aren't life. Just an opinion.

Necromancer's creations are actually powered by misused life, hence why empaths still get sad if they attack them.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/19/2014 11:28 PM CDT
>>but hesitation on our part to embrace GMs

There's a difference between being hesitant and openly cynical.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/19/2014 11:35 PM CDT
>Well I figure as life mana users we would be upset over necros undead flunkies since they aren't life. Just an opinion.

Here's how I understand it:

It's not really that simple. There is a fundamental difference between "life" and "life mana."

Life mana is an energy that reacts to some of the overall themes of life, such as the seaons. It can be tapped like most manas to produce magical effects.

Life, also known as vitality, is also an energy, but it's a fundamental force, the thing that allows such things as living shadows, as well as the basic common human.

While life mana can be bent to interact with life, such as with many Empath spells, they are not invariably linked.

Undead aren't the opposite or enemy of life mana, they're just outside it. They're the metaphorical baseball bat at a soccer game.

Undead are a form of life, though a horribly twisted and unnatural version. They have vitality, their own life force.

Undead, for reasons not exactly explained, have their opposition in the users of holy mana. This seems somehow related to "the gods created them (usually), so their servants are best at destroying them."

In short, while Rangers may have philosophical issues with undead, they and their magic and abilities are not any more geared towards combating it than say, a barbarian.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/19/2014 11:40 PM CDT
>> they and their magic and abilities are not any more geared towards combating it than say, a barbarian.

Hear that? Caraamon said it's just like barbarian magic and abilities. He admitted Barbarians know magic. AGAIN.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/20/2014 01:12 AM CDT
>Hear that? Caraamon said it's just like barbarian magic and abilities. He admitted Barbarians know magic. AGAIN.

I know where you edit.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/20/2014 06:53 PM CDT
Caraamon and everyone else, I didn't make myself clear. I am well aware of life mana and life and screwed up life like undead. I and I suspect a few of the rangers are opposed to necros and undead because we see and understand the purity of life all around us in nature. So yes, I was speaking philosophically but that is no reason rangers couldn't get allotted a few or even one really good spell against undead. Perhaps the spell wouldn't destroy the undead as a cleric's spell would (I would expect the holy spell to work more damage) but perhaps the spell could weaken the undead as the memory of pure life were shown to them?? Just a thought.

Think of nature being infected by the necros and their rituals and undead and rangers who desire to heal nature and kick undead butt.

Zinaca and her baby wolf, Lucky who was smart enough to see a necro and ran like hell
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/20/2014 07:22 PM CDT
>> I and I suspect a few of the rangers are opposed to necros and undead

As a general rule, everyone is opposed to necros and the undead.

>>So yes, I was speaking philosophically but that is no reason rangers couldn't get allotted a few or even one really good spell against undead.

The only undead rangers can't use TM against as it is are non-corporeal undead, and I don't imagine any non-holy attacks being able to do that anytime soon.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/20/2014 08:50 PM CDT
>Think of nature being infected by the necros and their rituals and undead and rangers who desire to heal nature and kick undead butt.

This is not, and never has been, how undeath and life-magic work in DR. In most settings, 'life' power is anathema to undead. But in most settings, so is holy.

In DR, undead is simply a twist of life, not anathema to it. It is a simple facet of life mana, rather than being the opposite. Your argument, in DR's lore, is akin to saying 'My fire magic should do more damage to the fire elemental because it's a different color'.

In DR, undeath is the anathema of the holy. So holy mana gets bonus damage and fun spells.

Rangers did have plague of scavengers at one point. If I'm remembering correctly, it only effected corporeal undead? Not regular living, not cursed or constructed beings. Just flesh, normal, undead, like zombies. Because that's roughly what life mana could do, is attack the flesh, same as a WM with fire magic, or a MM with self-immolation accidentally catching someone else in their pyre.

And if all that's correct, that is, generally, a complete waste of a spell slot in my opinion.

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/24/2014 07:14 AM CDT
>>And if all that's correct, that is, generally, a complete waste of a spell slot in my opinion.

I kind of agree with this. While we can debate about if rangers should have extra capabilities in magic towards corporeal undead, the list of these creatures is terribly small, and nothing you can't kill with a sword, or a targeted spell. It would just add spell slots to something for a very narrow window of use. If it's for RP reasons, that's one thing. But I personally would rather that be spent in a few other(hopefully unique) areas of our magic.

~Van
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/24/2014 07:53 AM CDT
>>KROONERMANREVENGE

http://tinyurl.com/n77paqg
Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/24/2014 10:13 AM CDT
While she's very pretty, I don't really get the point there. Are you telling me I need to exercise? Or calling me a toddler.

I can't conflict with you when I don't understand your insults!

Re: BADGOPHER AKA Moron 06/24/2014 11:58 AM CDT
Krooner ain't birthin no babbies.