Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 07:32 AM CST
The only reason I'm posting this question here is because I know the question I'm about to ask is going to irk a few players. Let me assure you I'm not asking to do that. I'm asking because there is still alot to this game I don't know and understand and I'm trying to learn.

What abilities do Rangers have that other guilds do not? What sets us apart from other guilds?

This question was asked while I was in Crossing yesterday and I couldn't answer it aside from saying our spells are different. I did say we could take shortcuts to places by using trails but that one got quashed when he beat me in a race to crocs. I was going to mention "arrange" but everyone is going to get that. And from a completely IRL standpoint I have no selling points when I talk about this game to my friends, which is possibly why they are all playing WoW now.

Can you help a Ranger out? And before someone asks the question. Yes I'm serious.

Thanks in advance,
Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
You say, "I thought Banshee's scream"
The toy Banshee says, "Have you ever been a Banshee? Our voices get sore"
You say, "No, but I married one once"
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 08:10 AM CST
Your spells are unique.
Beseeches
Trails
Ranger bonus <--- This one is Awesome
Arrange, for now. I'm sure rangers will get something that's boss in the new skinning, too.
Ranger cache
Horse wrangling
Companions

That's my list after ten seconds of thinking about it.

- Mazrian
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 08:21 AM CST
>>Mazrian's list

Ranger bonus is the only good one on there, besides some of the spells. Could make a whole post (and have on a few occasions) about what needs to be done with spells.

Companion rewrite was supposed to be finished a couple years ago. It got scrapped, apparently.

Horses have been broken forever and no GM is willing to tackle them as far as I know.

Trails are busted and should have been fixed by now. Still waiting for those updates to happen. I think they're going the way of the companion rewrite.

Arrange is a pain anyway. It's a bad bandaid more than an ability. In Ssra we trust, though.

Ranger cache only has one decent use, and it's not the intended one. I won't say more here.

Beseeches seem to be going the way of the companion rewrite as well. Waiting for these to be fixed. The best one is the 90th circle (though it could use some work), others are very rarely used.

Not trying to be negative, but this is how things stand at the moment. I'd love to be given a reason to expect improvement. I'll certainly enjoy being able to change my opinion.

Our best ability is snipe which is shared with Thieves. Honestly though, I don't mind sharing things like that as long as we get them. There are some other things that I think should be shared with us currently.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 08:43 AM CST
With all the sunshine and optimism around here it's no wonder people are lining up to develop things for you guys.

- Mazrian
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 10:29 AM CST
I agree that Rangers definitely have the whiniest board posters, but it always comes from a select handful of people who are negative about everything. Most "regular" rangers just stopped posting, complaining about the same things is so passe. It's a lose-lose situation for dev GMs because we complain when something new comes out, and we complain when nothing has come out for a while. We also complain when we don't hear from GMs, or when they do and we inevitably dislike what they say. It's basically a board full of Marvin the Paranoid Androids.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 11:04 AM CST
Trails are pretty cool. The ability to send a wolf to someone then track right to them is pretty cool. CAIS and spider climb are pretty cool. Skillset is real real cool. EM SOTT and the ability to use runes like Shadows gives rangers the best stealth boost around. WS and CV rune is one of the top perc boosts. I think web and BB are really neat spells, and I have faith they'll end up pretty slick after the rewrite too. Rangers are definitely due for some work but personally I think they still have some really fun stuff.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 11:07 AM CST
Two or three small changes could once more see Rangers in the top tier of combat guilds again.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 11:14 AM CST
I agree, Rangers are great, it fits my playing style perfectly. I think flaming arrows would be pretty sweet though.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 11:17 AM CST
>>I agree, Rangers are great, it fits my playing style perfectly. I think flaming arrows would be pretty sweet though.<<

You can dye your arrows irridescent pink already. =)

- Mazrian
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 12:01 PM CST
>>You can dye your arrows irridescent pink already. =)

Oh Teeklin, you are missed.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 01:38 PM CST
>With all the sunshine and optimism around here it's no wonder people are lining up to develop things for you guys.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Honestly, rangers are the easiest to develop new things for because if you throw them a breadcrumb they will act like they haven't eaten in months.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 01:57 PM CST
>I think web and BB are really neat spells, and I have faith they'll end up pretty slick after the rewrite too.

My feeling is, break branch is going to get nerfed badly. The spell has been unusable in TF for quite some time already.

For reference:
You are certain that the granite gargoyle is healthy.
You are certain that it is quite a bit less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely weaker than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with no weapon and wearing a target shield emblazoned with a jester's jovial face, you are certain that the granite gargoyle is a simple opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with no weapon, you are certain that the granite gargoyle is well beneath your abilities.

Full prep BB (caster has 43 agility, 35 reflex) against a gargoyle:

10 mana:
You stare intently at a granite gargoyle.
Small globes of blue and orange light appear and dart upward like fireflies.
With a loud CRACK a large limb breaks free and falls from above!
The limb lands a glancing strike to its head!
It is knocked flat!
Roundtime: 2 seconds

20 mana:
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
With a loud CRACK a large limb breaks free and falls from above!
The limb lands a good hit to its chest!
Roundtime: 4 seconds

You see a granite gargoyle.
The granite gargoyle has faint scuffing to the chest.
The granite gargoyle is in good shape.
(worthless)

30 mana:
With a loud CRACK a massive tree breaks free and falls from above!
The tree lands a strong hit to its neck!
It is knocked flat!
Roundtime: 3 seconds

40 mana:
The tree lands a strong hit to its abdomen!
It is knocked flat!
[S]R>
The granite gargoyle closes to pole weapon range on you!
[S]>
The granite gargoyle leaps to its feet.

And finally, whatever the mana cap is for 40 discipline and 344 PM:
You are unable to keep some of the mana from leaking out of the spell pattern.
The tree lands a heavy strike to its back!
It is knocked flat!

If I were near peccaries I could show you how sad the spell is at level. Just think grazing strikes.

If it was turned into an unbalancing spell and didn't have the recover time it might be a nice spell, but it won't be anything like it is now.

>Oh Teeklin, you are missed.

I thought his were blushing pink.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 01:57 PM CST
>>Honestly, rangers are the easiest to develop new things for because if you throw them a breadcrumb they will act like they haven't eaten in months.

Can I get an "AMEN Brudda!"

~V~

___

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition."

- Henry V, William Shakespeare
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 02:53 PM CST
<<My feeling is, break branch is going to get nerfed badly. >>

I agree on the nerf it's already taken. But making it disable only, at it's tier, will make it potent on rewrite I think. As it was, even before the change, it was mostly an overkill spell. You could much easier web and shoot whatever you could straight BB. The stun-insta-death BB was slick, but ridiculous too. I think we'll see the disabling ability of web and BB jump up a notch, and that's saying something. Web is still damn nice for a lot of situations. If web's disabling ability goes up as a trade for it's damage, then BB should be pretty sweet too.

I'd lobby for a much better boost from STW, a secondary pool for scouting, and a workable correction to skinning. And TM based AoE.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 04:03 PM CST
>>And TM based AoE.

Yes. High tier, too.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 04:05 PM CST
>>What abilities do Rangers have that other guilds do not? What sets us apart from other guilds?

You can boost other people's skills just by having them join your group. Everyone else has to use magic or a mystical ability (or simply can't boost anything).

>>Companion rewrite was supposed to be finished a couple years ago. It got scrapped, apparently.

No, it's on hold while something even better (but not ranger-only) is built. The existing system will be plugged into this "something better" as-is, and then the Ranger GM will at some point decide to rewrite ranger companions to 1)do new things entirely and 2)take better advantage of the "something better"'s available options (ie, combat companions, companions that drag you away from danger, companions that can deliver things, spell-casting/magical companions, etc).

Horses...same boat as companions, just without a dedicated GM to do the rewrite.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 04:34 PM CST
<<<JMF90 Garg vs BB post>>>

I think you are doing something drastically wrong, or trained the wrong way then. I do not have exceptional magic skills, and I can kill up to and possibly past geni level with a single minimum prep BB. Bristleback at 13 mana. Basilisk at 14 mana. You mentioned the casters agility and reflex. Perhaps they need to train discipline and/or charisma?

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 05:19 PM CST
<<<Asterid's post>>>

I think you are doing something drastically wrong in your ability to read. JMF is referring to changes live in TF, not prime.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 06:19 PM CST
Ahh, yes, I did miss the part about it being in TF. Well, that is bad news then if that is what the spell is going to become.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 06:19 PM CST
Thank you for your replies. I know there will be more and I appreciate you guys helping me get a better understanding.

My opinion on magic is that it's a manipulation of nature's energies, which does indeed make it unique. Spiders doing your bidding or being able to make a tree fall are pretty impressive to me than just conjuring a fireball to hurl.

TM based AoE doesn't make sense to me though. If it's an area effect, how would a failure be handled in theory?

Trails are definately unique but not exactly awe inspiring in my mind since most people can get to the same place faster than using the trail.

I don't understand what's broken about companions and horses but I'd be interested in learning.

I also really don't understand the Ranger Bonus either.

Again, thank you guys for your input. I look forward to reading more. Even Bjornagain's hostile replies.

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 07:52 PM CST
>I don't understand what's broken about companions

They are a pain in a Ranger's butt, and I've never raised a raccoon past baby. And they serve only a RP purpose. Where as a Shadowling can do things like teach hiding to high levels and store things for you and a WM can see through his familiar. Ranger Companions are not worth it and don't teach AL for anything.

I'm a circle 36 Ranger and my AL is 22, just ten or so ranks higher then the preq to get a raccoon. I doubt any ranger has a great deal of ranks in AL...

>Trails are definately unique but not exactly awe inspiring in my mind since most people can get to the same place faster than using the trail.

You said it. A thing that would make trails worthwile is interprovincial travel. Say being able to go from Ilithi to Therengia and skip Zoluren altogether. A better option altogether is getting rid of the current system and rewrite it totally; such as being able to get to run a trail but not having to find a trailmarker. Such as being infront of the Cursing's NE GAte and type Scout Trollkin and arriving in the Brambles (probably a resource hog but worth a thought). The most drastic thing to do is put a RT on all room to room movement. Make a trail actually be a shortcut, instead of a 'short cut' that gets you where you want to go in longer time...

>TM based AoE doesn't make sense to me though. If it's an area effect, how would a failure be handled in theory?

Perhaps nature turns on you (Mother Nature is fickle mistress in real life and should be in game) and an AoE TM spell targets only you (for a hard failure) or includes you (for a soft failure). Perhaps a failure tanks the Ranger's Bonus.

>Ranger Bonus

Akin to a Barbarian's IF. Not sure how it works other then having a good bonus aids you and a trashed bonus is a big penalty. Penalty is lost by hanging out in cities and gained by being where a Ranger belongs, away from civilization and in the wilds.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 07:56 PM CST
>>Ranger Companions are not worth it and don't teach AL for anything.

Actually, teaching AL is all companions do. Of course, AL is not actually useful for anything.

The moment a GM said it is not mechanics abuse to spam signal wolf to get xxx/signal wolf to drop xxx, training AL became easy. I have close to 300 ranks, and I rarely train it. Others have a lot more than me.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/05/2007 08:15 PM CST
I use the spam signal method as well. I only have around 100 right now. mostly because way back when I didn't train it. The only issue I find is there aren't many critters around to carve up for food. Just seems strange things like leucros can't be carved for wolf food.

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
Re: Ranger abilities 12/06/2007 08:00 AM CST
DAMN IT IM IRKED!

:oP Ragran
Re: Ranger abilities 12/06/2007 09:00 AM CST
Ha...you guys...things don't change. Sylviir here...back from a long hiatus.

There's some cool stuff now, and some that still haven't happened.

Its just so funny to see how things are now...not much different.

At least P5 is open now. Oh, and what is that thunder bull?...storm bull? Ouch.

All I have to say.

Nice to see ya all havin' discussions...brings back memories. Though I try to stay out of this folder mostly.

I am...
not you.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/12/2007 10:33 AM CST
Heh... this all sounds so familiar...

NO COMMENT
Re: Ranger abilities 12/15/2007 08:04 PM CST
raccoons didn't teach AL that good. I have a wolf now and i've trained 200 ranks in AL without a problem with it. When it turns into a young one i lose it on purpose, and go get another baby to train AL so all i need is milk from arthe dale. not using it for any rp purposes, just for ranks/titles.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/17/2007 09:33 PM CST
I've had a baby wolf for a year now that I use just for training AL, I started probably at around 60 ranks and I'm now at 233. The baby wolf hasn't grown at all.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/30/2007 09:04 PM CST
If you have a wolf and get a debt like from being a citizen and owning a house, does your wolf run away?
Re: Ranger abilities 12/30/2007 11:50 PM CST
No! LOL!

~Dulcinia

[Mvorn] "Dulcinia is the only woman I would allow myself to cheat on my wife with, she's dreamy"

Jrendel will always love you! He told me so once at a pizza place. No kidding.
-Ssra
Re: Ranger abilities 12/31/2007 10:38 AM CST
>No! LOL!

While that was a ridiculous question, it is no more ridiculous than the requirement to be debt free in the first place.
Re: Ranger abilities 12/31/2007 10:58 AM CST
<<it is no more ridiculous than the requirement to be debt free in the first place.

Wolfs are like women...always lookin' for da money. ;)

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"

"Why don't you roleplay a character who is NOT retarded? ~Maje
Re: Ranger abilities 12/31/2007 06:05 PM CST
Can never tell with the game.
Re: Ranger abilities 01/07/2008 09:05 AM CST
<<While that was a ridiculous question, it is no more ridiculous than the requirement to be debt free in the first place.>>

The most ridiculous thing of all is when a thief "thinks better of stealing anything else, before clearing up current debt."

That's just ludicrous. I don't think there is anything better for a thief to think of than stealing while in debt.

:oP Ragran
Re: Ranger abilities 01/12/2008 09:12 PM CST
Totally, broham. Manhug anyone? Bros4life dude ferreal.

-mvorn