Lethargic Rangers 09/07/2007 11:54 AM CDT
Why aren't there rangers posting about things that matter to the guild?

thx,

Soulburner
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/07/2007 11:59 AM CDT
Because posting only gets you so far, and after a point there is NOT a thing to do but wait for our GM's to finish projects so there can be progress on other fronts.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/07/2007 04:24 PM CDT
>>Why aren't there rangers posting about things that matter to the guild?

We got tired.
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/07/2007 07:30 PM CDT
>>Why aren't there rangers posting about things that matter to the guild?<<

Perhaps this will explain.

A guy goes to prison, and is assigned to a cell with the biggest, ugliest, and scariest looking fellow he'd evern seen in his life. As night approaches, he is scared to death of what awaits him.

Lights out. The guard cuts the power and all the lamps go out. The guy starts sweating in fear, which is surprising because his mouth is so dry.

Suddenly, the cell next door screams out "121!" and the entire cell block suddenly roars with laughter. Our new guy's scream of terror was drowned out. He notices that his cell mate is doubled over and in tears from laughing so hard.

The laughing and giggles die out, until someone further down the call block shouts out "1068!" The laughter erupts again.

After a few minutes of this, our new guys is left bewildered and confused. He musters up his courage and asks his cell mate "What's up with the numbers?"

The brute sharing the cell with him asks 'First time in prison?"

Our new guy meekly nods his head. The brute replies with a short lecture:

"Since it's your first night I'll cut you some slack. It's like this. Most of us are in here for life or very long sentences. We used to tell jokes the old way, but it took too long. So some of the lifers put together a joke book, cataloging each joke and assigning it a number. It's in the prison library. Now, to save time, you don't have to tell the entire joke. You can just shout out the number and it's done. Trust me, you'll have that book memorized in a couple of years."

"You're joking!" said our astonished new guy. "Watch this" said the brute, "it's my favorite one. 789!"

The cell block immediately roars in laughter.

"Try it." said the brute.

Our new guys waits a few moments till there is a lull in the banter, and then screws up his courage and yell out "300!"

Dead silence. Not even a giggle.

The new guy turns toward the brute and whispers "What went wrong? Why aren't they laughing?"

The brute shrugs his shoulders, rolls back over on his side and dispenses his sage wisdom:

"Some people just can't tell a joke like others."

-=Dirge. Come for the ossuary. Stay for the ash.=-
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/07/2007 07:35 PM CDT
OOC:
Hey don't get me wrong, I have been away from the game for a handful of years. I am long time player, about a dozen years since I started. I have also coded for a small time MUD during this time and experienced it from the back side.

Trust me, the GM's want to bring good change to us all. They are doing their best. Do you think they are actively trying to NOT do advance and make progress for the entire community as a whole?

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been around and I don't know the whole back story recently. What I do know is that I read the few posts above me, and I puked in my mouth a little.

As I see it, if you want to be a cry baby, go to the Warmie guild or what ever. Take a breather. Learn an instrument or practice your First Aid. Give it time.

Everything in life is cyclical. Downs lead to ups. And anyway you are Rangers...we should always rise to the occasion and keep our cool.

--Meragin O'Malamus

The muddy, tobac smellin, kneebiter (tm)
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/08/2007 02:46 PM CDT
>Why aren't there rangers posting about things that matter to the guild?

I won't speak for all Rangers but I've decided not to post anymore because I don't feel anything constructive comes out of it. Same thing with the Ranger meetings & Simucon, it's a lot of talk with very little to no execution.

It's been at the very least 3 years since we've had talks about beseeches, trapping, companions, skinning rewrites, etc. None of that has been done. So what's the point when everything falls on deaf ears?
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/08/2007 07:16 PM CDT
I've pretty much given up too. I'm at the point where I'll believe stuff once I see it. Before it happens I really don't pay much attention, because I don't like looking forward to thinks that aren't going to happen for whatever reason.

~Dulcinia

[Mvorn] "Dulcinia is the only woman I would allow myself to cheat on my wife with, she's dreamy"
[Mvorn] "Sometimes I dress Yuki up like you and have her yell at me, it's so hot"
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/08/2007 10:02 PM CDT
I get billed around the 20th of the month and I've been reading here silently just hoping that something might come of it. As it is, however, they seem determined to go on with their ridiculous TM plan and have decided that doing that trumps doing things for our guild that we've asked for since Phii knows when.

I remember talking with one of our GMs about skinning FIVE YEARS ago and not one tiny lick of work has been done on it. Most broken skill in the entire game and it's been utterly ignored in favor of some TM whim which will, in all honesty, not even be worth messing with and/or be changed the second that GM leaves.

I would rather they take away BB/PLS/Swarm/Griz today and just stop their work on the whole crazy TM project and instead spend their time changing those spells around to be non-damaging. It would be 1000x more effective for them to simply say, "You can't do direct damage without using a TM spell and TM is a magic prime perk" and just give us some new spells rather than spending countless hours revising our current spells to do the same thing that they do now (only now you need 500 tert ranks for them to work).

Anyway, it's frustrating and fruitless to post about Ranger stuff at this point. I've been so pro-Ranger for so long it feels weird not to be fighting to make our guild better...but it's just time for me to step away. I pay to play a game that doesn't exist anymore, and I just don't think it's worth the money.

-Teeklin

"Instead of killing and dying in order to produce the being that we are not, we have to live and let live in order to create what we are." -Albert Camus
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/09/2007 11:09 AM CDT
>>I would rather they take away BB/PLS/Swarm/Griz today and just stop their work on the whole crazy TM project and instead spend their time changing those spells around to be non-damaging.

You need to pay more attention, Teek. This is pretty much exactly what they are doing, based on current thinking. If the TM change happened right now, anyone without a guild-only TM spell currently will have no need to backtrain TM at all until their guild GMs start releasing new spells (at which point you might kick yourself for not training TM, since they aren't going to seriously entertain notions of grandfathering at that point).

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/09/2007 11:24 AM CDT
<<Teek. This is pretty much exactly what they are doing, based on current thinking. If the TM change happened right now, anyone without a guild-only TM spell currently will have no need to backtrain TM at all until their guild GMs start releasing new spells (at which point you might kick yourself for not training TM, since they aren't going to seriously entertain notions of grandfathering at that point).

Whether our spells are changed or not for this TM garbage, it still means the things that really need to be fixed are being put aside YET AGAIN... and this time for something that should probably not even be bothered with ever, much less before these real problems are addressed.

"...you do not deserve Ability X just because another guild received it." -Armifer

"Sabbra Caddabra" your skill/title/ability is now mine.
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/09/2007 01:09 PM CDT
<<You need to pay more attention, Teek. This is pretty much exactly what they are doing, based on current thinking. If the TM change happened right now, anyone without a guild-only TM spell currently will have no need to backtrain TM at all until their guild GMs start releasing new spells (at which point you might kick yourself for not training TM, since they aren't going to seriously entertain notions of grandfathering at that point).

I think your wrong. Reference other thread I responded to you.
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/09/2007 08:33 PM CDT
Teeklin,

Im feeling your pain. The bards were told we would never, ever, need TM, and for the most part no one except a few trained it because they love those spell scrolls. Then we get a fun enchante, that cause some minor damage, and wham, we gotta bring up TM to level. Now, if everyone in the bard guild complained, thats what? 40-50 folks? But throw in a protest that is led and organized by the rangers, probaly the largest guild in the realms? Who knows, test the waters. I also know the clerics and pallies arent real chipper about this. This has a complete feel of having one simple core system, and slaping different descripts. Like Chrysler, change the sheetmetal a tiny bit, keep everything else identicle, and you have Dodge chrysler and formerly plymouth.

I want bard magic to be different from ranger, cleric, and pally magic. Thats what made the guilds fun.

Robo

The internet? Is that thing still around?

-Homer Simpson
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/09/2007 09:50 PM CDT
Teeklin -

I agree, it is frustrating and obviously has been fruitless to post anything about the Ranger's Guild for the last three years, if not longer. It's not worth fighting for when the other side (Simu) isn't even going to bother to
listen and when it seems our Ranger GMs are totally powerless to do anything for our guild and/or prevent anything that is further damaging to the guild. I really don't play any other characters in the game but my Ranger. So switching to another guild/character is not an option for me.

I'm with you -- I pay to play a game that doesn't exist anymore and it's not worth the money. What's worse, I have
absolutely no hope it will ever be worth it again. I'm thinking of leaving too. Why prolong the inevitable?
Re: Lethargic Rangers 09/10/2007 09:31 AM CDT
Damn, it's said the hear of another Old Ranga thinking of leaving. Damn this TM change.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"