Prev_page Previous 1 3
Magic and Grandfathering 03/02/2010 07:59 AM CST
While I feel bad for Barbs and Thieves that their many years without magic will come to a grinding halt "soon"(tm), is anyone else bothered by the fact that they will have their skills grandfathered and granted the appropriate number of TDPs while we were denied grandfathering when TM was given to us?
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/02/2010 08:09 AM CST
No
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/02/2010 08:26 AM CST
It's a very different situation.

The Ranger/Paladin case may have been unfair - I can see either side of that argument - but the overwhelming majority of a Barbarian's effectiveness (beyond raw ranks) comes from the very systems being tied to these new skills. You can't really compare that to losing a few stat-based ways to kill a target (which were replaced by disablers to help make other methods easier IIRC).

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/02/2010 08:50 AM CST
Rangers got screwed, but the answer isn't to screw barbarians as well.

Does anyone else remember Bards getting to convert instrument ranks to a secondary weapon skill? I know that was talked about back when bard reqs changed, but I can't remember if it actually happened.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/02/2010 05:51 PM CST
>Rangers got screwed, but the answer isn't to screw barbarians as well.

This.

Who knows... Maybe beseeches will get converted over and we'll get some sweet, sweet freebie TDPs too.

-pete
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/03/2010 07:41 AM CST
>Rangers got screwed, but the answer isn't to screw barbarians as well.

Agreed. All I'm suggesting is consistency. Grandfathering for all or grandfathering for none. picking and choosing, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it sets a bad precedent and creates the perception of favoritism
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/03/2010 07:46 AM CST
>>Agreed. All I'm suggesting is consistency.

... huh?

The Moose
"My advice? Run to a safe room, then re-roll. It's guaranteed awesome."
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/03/2010 07:54 AM CST
>>Agreed. All I'm suggesting is consistency. Grandfathering for all or grandfathering for none. picking and choosing, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it sets a bad precedent and creates the perception of favoritism

It will be consistant. Everyone's getting Warding grandfathered.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/03/2010 09:18 PM CST
As is usual, I'm going to agree with Coper.

While I think an argument could have been made for some TM grandfathering, only a couple Ranger spells dealt damage. Magic - especially killing with magical power (TM) in particular - has always been well outside of the Ranger guild's focus.

Conversely, magical resistance and abstinence from magical devices is one of the premier themes of the Barbarian guild, and all of their primary abilities interact with magic resistance in some way.

Losing the ability to deal damage with Branch Break isn't really analogous to having all your abilities suddenly becoming gimped.

"Limited in nature yet infinite in desire - men are like fallen gods."
- Alphonse de Lamartine
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/04/2010 05:27 AM CST
>While I think an argument could have been made for some TM grandfathering, only a couple Ranger spells dealt damage. Magic - especially killing with magical power (TM) in particular - has always been well outside of the Ranger guild's focus.

Actually four out of the twelve or so available at the time were damaging spells. So.... Damage was a major focus of ranger magic.

Personally I prefer the spells the way they are now, even if I wish swarm wasn't useless to me and HB lasted longer / didn't have so many ways for everyone or everything to break it.

Regardless, what's done is done. This time around I am very glad that the GMs see the wisdom in grandfathering after our experience to the contrary.

I still wouldn't mind getting grandfathered in the other new mystical skill to drive our beseeches. Since those are circle based, it would be fairly easy to figure out what skill is needed and what skill a character should have. That would kind of make up for the loss of TDPs from TM not being grandfathered.

-pete
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/04/2010 01:38 PM CST
>>This time around I am very glad that the GMs see the wisdom in grandfathering after our experience to the contrary.

The man I am today would do exactly the same thing the man I was a few years ago did, given the circumstances I had to navigate. The only significant difference between now and then is that today I wouldn't have bothered talking about it as much.

I would rather you think of me as a callous jerk, if that helps you enjoy the game, than fall into the belief that hysteria and vitriol moved me toward anything other than annoyance.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/04/2010 06:38 PM CST
I would love to care that you are annoyed by us but the fact is that, based on the board post I've read, I find you to be full of yourself to the point that you rarely take into full account the opinions of others. I in turn, find this annoying. You of course will not care that I am annoyed, proving that it's a waste of my time to care that you are don't like us telling you that you are wrong.

Mod, before you pull this, please forward it to armifier.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/04/2010 06:57 PM CST
>>Mod, before you pull this, please forward it to armifier.

Why not just write him? DR-Armifer@play.net
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/04/2010 07:07 PM CST
>>Mod, before you pull this, please forward it to armifier.

I've requested the board monitors let this thread stay up. I make no guarantee that this will remain the case, but I'm happy to fulfill my role.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/04/2010 08:41 PM CST
>>I would love to care that you are annoyed by us but the fact is that, based on the board post I've read, I find you to be full of yourself to the point that you rarely take into full account the opinions of others. I in turn, find this annoying. You of course will not care that I am annoyed, proving that it's a waste of my time to care that you are don't like us telling you that you are wrong.

To be honest, I used to think that it was a mistake not to grandfather for Paladins and Rangers. But now that I see the whole picture, I agree with how it was handled. I don't believe Paladins and Rangers were screwed at all (not with the lethal stat based spell changes). In fact, magic primaries were being screwed since they had to sacrifice skillset yet didn't have the most devastating killing magic when compared to Smite Foe and Break Branch.

There is a fundamental difference between the new upcoming skills and TM back then. TM does not fuel a Ranger or Paladin's buff spells, it does not fuel their abilities. It was not and is not central to maintaining effectiveness from a Ranger or a Paladin. That is being accounted for and it is the reason why they are planning on grandfathering in the future.

If anything, I'd say Rangers and Paladins were screwed when they weren't allowed effective ways to train TM from the beginning. At this point, you just have to understand that it's a new direction and sometimes it gets worse before it gets good. Just like rebuilding a football franchise, heh.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:05 AM CST
>There is a fundamental difference between the new upcoming skills and TM back then. TM does not fuel a Ranger or Paladin's buff spells, it does not fuel their abilities. It was not and is not central to maintaining effectiveness from a Ranger or a Paladin. That is being accounted for and it is the reason why they are planning on grandfathering in the future.

Except for some Rangers and Paladins, lethal spells were a central part of how they played their character. And by not even allowing a skill trading style grandfathering they made it so that TM could not be effective at level for any high level Ranger or Paladin. If TM had realistically been trainable before for these guilds, I would agree. But they were told they'd never need the skill, and classes were the only viable way to learn.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:37 AM CST
I'd agree with you Vee if rangers had be given a little TLC in the magic department... I'll even go as far as to say I like the new BB since it fits in the model they have and the new model is an honest fix to a bad problem. The game as a whole IS better because of the change. What I don't agree with is that 1. Rangers have more advanced TM spells and 2. While rangers were using TM "type" spells for a very long time before the change, nothing was done to compensate them for that effort.

This along with the fact that we keep getting strung along with what's "going" to happen makes it hard for me to believe that any of the GMs other than Audacia could give a rodents rectum about the ranger guild.

We have a few "ok" things but it makes me sad that most of the older rangers I've talked to have the attitude "The only good thing about rangers is that we've learned to deal with lots of crap"

Don't confuse this with not appreciating the effort it's taken to do what's been done so far. I've done just enough coding to realize that 1. it's a LOT of work and 2. I suck at it. As a result, I really appreciate the work our GM staff puts in. As a whole, the game is improving... but as a guild, rangers are no longer recognized IG to be of much if any value.

Armifier - Thanks for sticking my foot in my mouth by leaving the critical post and responding to it. I honestly figured my observations, flawed or not, would fall on deaf ears. I don't expect anything would or could be done about the grandfathering of TM that should have happened. What I would like to know is, will rangers have anything to look forward to in the future other than more things in our sphere of influence being handed out to other guilds while we sit on our hands. My fear is that eventually this batch of gms is going to get burnt out and it will be about 3 days before it's time to look at the ranger guild... wouldn't be the first time that's happened to us.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 03:45 AM CST
>>Armifier - Thanks for sticking my foot in my mouth by leaving the critical post and responding to it. I honestly figured my observations, flawed or not, would fall on deaf ears.

A flaw I've picked up over the past few years is that I am not as patient or personable as I used to be; I try to not to take it personally when people justly point this out.

>>What I would like to know is, will rangers have anything to look forward to in the future other than more things in our sphere of influence being handed out to other guilds while we sit on our hands

Looking at my current projects, the only thing I can personally offer you at this moment with reasonable certainty is schadenfreude. I'll have something more concrete to talk about in the coming months as the Magic 3.0 stuff moves from system-level issues to guild-specific plans.

-Armifer
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 08:07 AM CST
Main Entry: scha·den·freu·de
Pronunciation: \ˈshä-dən-ˌfrȯi-də\
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: German, from Schaden damage + Freude joy
Date: 1895
: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

Well, I don't take join in harm done to others, but I do honestly appreciate your candidness. Keep us in mind when you get past system level. The ranger guild has a lot to offer in the way of potential for unique stuff in our sphere of influence if there are people to help us get it done. If I was better at coding I'd have been begging to help long ago.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 12:30 PM CST
>>Except for some Rangers and Paladins, lethal spells were a central part of how they played their character.

I disagree with that. Lethal spells were used excessively because they were insane.

Just because millions of WMs used old CL (when it was insanely OP) does not make it a central part of how they played their characters. As a Barb, I tend to use Dragon dance a TON. That does not excuse it from being fixed in regards to future design concepts.

Lethal spells were used by Rangers and Paladins because they were pretty imbalanced in favor of those respective guilds. Whether the people that used them knew this or not is irrelevant.

>>But they were told they'd never need the skill, and classes were the only viable way to learn.

IIRC, that was told to them by previous GMs. I'm pretty sure if they let stuff that old GMs did hinder them they wouldn't really get anywhere now.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 12:39 PM CST
>>Keep us in mind when you get past system level.

All right, going to caveat this with "no promises, things outside my control change, may disagree with you, etc."

What do you want out of the Ranger spellbook right now? Assume that Magic 3.0 will take care of TM issues by itself, where do you want the spellbook to grow past that?

-Armifer
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 12:40 PM CST
>>Except for some Rangers and Paladins, lethal spells were a central part of how they played their character.

>I disagree with that. Lethal spells were used excessively because they were insane.

You're missing the point I'm making. Some rangers and paladins focused a lot more on magic than others. If the TM skill had been learnable, they would have been training it all along.

>Just because millions of WMs used old CL (when it was insanely OP) does not make it a central part of how they played their characters. As a Barb, I tend to use Dragon dance a TON. That does not excuse it from being fixed in regards to future design concepts.

Ah, but if CL were changed to require a different skill (AOE Magic, for instance) I'd be in support of grandfathering of some kind. Talking about how OP the ability is is completely irrelevant.

Or, what if Dragon Dance were changed to use a new skill. OPness aside, I'd support grandfathering it as well. Oh wait, that's already happening.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 12:47 PM CST
<<Or, what if Dragon Dance were changed to use a new skill. OPness aside, I'd support grandfathering it as well. Oh wait, that's already happening. >>

Difference between primary and secondary abilities. I don't think there was talk of grandfathering vocals for the possible roar change that may include them in the calcs, for example. Losing their stat-based attack spells did not destroy the effectiveness of any well-trained ranger character, especially since BB (and probably other spells, I didn't pay attention) became decent disablers independent of TM. Now if the character was completely reliant on one OP attack to compete...

Zrxa says, "Vashir is a bad man."
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 12:57 PM CST
>Difference between primary and secondary abilities.

Irrelevant. Also, Rangers and Paladins are magic tertiary.

>I don't think there was talk of grandfathering vocals for the possible roar change that may include them in the calcs, for example.

Somewhat valid, except that you can easily lock vocals at will and have been able to for many years, and they're already used in voice recovery. It's purely optional for you to train, the benefit is just minor right now.

>Losing their stat-based attack spells did not destroy the effectiveness of any well-trained ranger character,

And losing x ability wouldn't destroy any well-trained y character. That's irrelevant.

>Now if the character was completely reliant on one OP attack to compete...

Irrelevant. The previous OPness of spells like break branch have nothing to do with the skill grandfathering decision.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 01:08 PM CST
<<Irrelevant. Also, Rangers and Paladins are magic tertiary.>>

I wasn't talking about skillsets, I was talking about how important the abilities are to the guild's performance.

<<except that you can easily lock vocals at will and have been able to for many years>>

Rangers and paladins not having a way to train TM was a mistake. That doesn't mean every ranger should have been given free TM ranks because of it.

<<And losing x ability wouldn't destroy any well-trained y character. That's irrelevant.>>

Actually losing buffs does a great job of destroying characters. I found this out twice over at the past two Northern Watch spar nights.

<<Irrelevant. The previous OPness of spells like break branch have nothing to do with the skill grandfathering decision. >>

Okay, I'll put it another way: relying on a single method of attack is a bad way to go. If I lost every rank in HX that I've earned I would be able to recover without much of an issue.

Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 01:12 PM CST
Didn't rangers and paladins have over a year's warning on the change? Didn't they have access to the two AP TM spells to back train with?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 01:27 PM CST
>>Didn't rangers and paladins have over a year's warning on the change? Didn't they have access to the two AP TM spells to back train with?

I don't care one way or another but saying that they had a years notice and two AP spells doesn't really mean anything when they didn't have any way to train other than classes for the previous 10 years.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:02 PM CST
>>I don't care one way or another but saying that they had a years notice and two AP spells doesn't really mean anything when they didn't have any way to train other than classes for the previous 10 years.<<

Sure it does. If you had wanted to, you could have put 400+ ranks of TM on your character in that time. Maybe more.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:03 PM CST
>That doesn't mean every ranger should have been given free TM ranks because of it.

I never said they should get free ranks. Ever.

Also, this:

I don't care one way or another but saying that they had a years notice and two AP spells doesn't really mean anything when they didn't have any way to train other than classes for the previous 10 years.

The bottom line is, mech changes shouldn't require years of backtraining.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:06 PM CST
>Sure it does. If you had wanted to, you could have put 400+ ranks of TM on your character in that time. Maybe more.

And if they based CL damage off of a new magic skill called Area of Effect Magic and gave you a year to train it up via some other spell, that would be ok?
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:18 PM CST
<<I never said they should get free ranks. Ever.>>

That's what grandfathering is.

<<The bottom line is, mech changes shouldn't require years of backtraining>>

They didn't require any backtraining, unless the players chose those guilds specifically because they wanted to use spells to directly kill people, in which case I'm not really sure the fault lies with the GMs or the mechanics.

I've seen the current BB used very effectively, and coupled with their other abilities and skillset placement I don't think rangers are suffering too terribly. Paladins either - I know Glemm, Silus, and Firegard do just fine without TM attacks, at any rate.

Who was so crippled by a lack of TM ranks that they actually HAD to backtrain for years to become competitive again?

Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:19 PM CST
>>And if they based CL damage off of a new magic skill called Area of Effect Magic and gave you a year to train it up via some other spell, that would be ok? <<

1) That's not an accurate capture of what actually happened with the TM change and why.

2) Assuming they gave me a snazzy way to train it, a year would be enough time to get the skill to where I wouldn't have to backtrain.

But mostly #1. Rangers/Paladins could use the new versions of their spells at full effect with zero TM ranks. Only the new TM spells and the AP spells required TM.

The choice was never "train TM or you'll never be able to do the stuff you could do."

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:23 PM CST
>>Or, what if Dragon Dance were changed to use a new skill. OPness aside, I'd support grandfathering it as well. Oh wait, that's already happening.

The new skill that will be used will govern every last dance and berserk a Barbarian has. That means, just about every last buff a Barbarian can use.

>>And if they based CL damage off of a new magic skill called Area of Effect Magic and gave you a year to train it up via some other spell, that would be ok?

The difference is, a new magic skill called Area of Effect won't cripple WM from using every last one of their self buffs. In the case of Barbarians, a new Inner Fire skill MUST be grandfathered or every last dance and berserk will become useless for a Barbarian.

The choice to not grandfather TM did NOT cripple the entire arsenal of Paladins nor Rangers. A Ranger is still able to cast EM effectively, a Ranger is still able to cast SOTT effectively. A Paladin is still able to cast all their buffs effectively.

If you can't see the difference between the two I don't know what to say to you.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:23 PM CST
>>2) Assuming they gave me a snazzy way to train it, a year would be enough time to get the skill to where I wouldn't have to backtrain.

You're thinking as a magic primary and someone who apparently has a lot of time to train though. A year isn't enough time for a semi-casual player to get 400 ranks in any tert skill. not in prime anyway. If you still think you can, you have way too much time on your hands.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:24 PM CST
>>Sure it does. If you had wanted to, you could have put 400+ ranks of TM on your character in that time. Maybe more.

Yes, grind out a year of keeping TM locked (under old exp), neglect my at level skills, play 24/7 to make up for my previous 8 years of being unable to train TM with a standards spell. Sounds fair.

I mean, I do have years of my life to throw away.

btw. I'm over the change. The rest of you should be. Props to Taghz and a few others who were able to pound this skill.

Death Dealer Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:25 PM CST
>>If you can't see the difference between the two I don't know what to say to you.

I see the difference and I understand why they didn't grandfather but I don't agree with Mazrians statements that a year should have been enough time to get back at level when there are people that have been playing for 10 times that long with no viable way to train it other than classes.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:26 PM CST
>>You're thinking as a magic primary and someone who apparently has a lot of time to train though. A year isn't enough time for a semi-casual player to get 400 ranks in any tert skill. not in prime anyway. If you still think you can, you have way too much time on your hands.

A year is plenty enough time to train a skill that does not in any way devastate or cripple the functioning of your guild.

-GM Abasha
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:34 PM CST
>>Yes, grind out a year of keeping TM locked (under old exp), neglect my at level skills, play 24/7 to make up for my previous 8 years of being unable to train TM with a standards spell. Sounds fair.<<

Umm. New exp was live by July 2007, and the TM changes were announced in August 2007.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:35 PM CST
>>A year is plenty enough time to train a skill that does not in any way devastate or cripple the functioning of your guild.

To get it at level? No it's not. Assuming a high level anyway.

Once again, I understand why they didn't grandfather, that's not the issue that I'm arguing. The issue is Mazrian, and apparently now you, saying that a year is enough time to get a tert skill to level if you're a high level.
Re: Magic and Grandfathering 03/05/2010 02:39 PM CST
>>The issue is Mazrian, and apparently now you, saying that a year is enough time to get a tert skill to level if you're a high level. <<

It might not fit everyone's schedule or priorities, but it's possible (without training 20 hours a day). That's all I'm saying.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

Prev_page Previous 1 3