Dead Companion 05/07/2021 11:31 AM CDT
Lost my companion last night by pulling rotting meat from a bin instead of from my pouch and feeding it to him. Traumatized by the incident but moving forward. Is there a period of time after killing your companion before you can get a new one? I am not having luck getting a new companion.

Thanks
Re: Dead Companion 05/07/2021 07:28 PM CDT
>Lost my companion last night by pulling rotting meat from a bin instead of from my pouch and feeding it to him. Traumatized by the incident but moving forward. Is there a period of time after killing your companion before you can get a new one? I am not having luck getting a new companion.

Any luck yet?
Have you checked RECALL WARRANT to make sure you don't have any outstanding warrants?
Have you checked INFO /DEBT to make sure you don't have any outstanding debts?
Do you have any bleeding wounds?
Double check your Wilderness Bonus? (I can't remember if that's a factor or not)
Have you looked at the Ranger companion quest walkthrough on epedia to make sure you aren't mistyping something?

According to Zinaca you can replace dead wolves in the time it takes you to have a small cry and get milk from Arthe Dale.

I'd write a small script and call it .feedwolf. Have it grab the correct food for you from the correct container and build in an error correction line to reject rotting meat automatically in the event some gets slipped to you or it goes bad in between picking it up and feeding your wolf. Companions are fragile enough without inadvertently grabbing the wrong food or spoiled food.

In 2010, Barnacus recommended that the line in companion code that causes companions to GOTO starve and die be changed so that they (a wild animal) would instead wander off and GOTO hunt/forage for food and then return once they've fed. Any chance of that QoL tweak getting implemented?
Re: Dead Companion 05/08/2021 03:46 PM CDT

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have no warrant, no debt, no bleeders and my bonus...

You howl strongly, like that of a wolf calling its kin to assemble for a hunt. The sound echoes commandingly through the area.

The pack will not even come out and I get other animals coming out and running from me:

A snowshoe hare bounces into the area. When it notices your presence, it does an abrupt twist in midair and changes direction, quickly disappearing into the foliage.

The blanket of leaves covering the ground rustles, and the head and shovel-shaped front feet of a mole emerge from beneath the dirt. The grey-furred animal blinks at you and quickly disappears back into the soil.

I have fresh milk and I just can't figure out what the problem is unless the location has changed and it's not available on Wiki. I have been away for 7 years so I am sure a lot has changed.

Any how thanks for the suggestions!
Re: Dead Companion 09/17/2021 12:16 AM CDT
ugh magically I went to wake my wolf the other day and it was gone... and I was sure I sent it to sleep too. only had that wolf for 10 years

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."