Claws? 06/18/2013 05:12 PM CDT
Could we have our claws added to the brawling system?
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 07:16 PM CDT
I think DR is actively avoiding racial bonuses aside from the stats issue, for now. It's a nasty mess, where some races get useful things, some get stuns that suck, and some get nothing.

I'm a troll, I be trollin'
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 07:59 PM CDT
>>I think DR is actively avoiding racial bonuses aside from the stats issue, for now. It's a nasty mess, where some races get useful things, some get stuns that suck, and some get nothing.

Ah, my mistake then; I could have sworn I saw a prydaen still using theirs post 3.0.
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 08:02 PM CDT
I think the cats still can use em, but they are cat people and poop in a litter box.

- Buuwl
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 08:03 PM CDT
>>I think the cats still can use em, but they are cat people and poop in a litter box.

If they're still using them then it was converted for 3.0. If that's the case could we get ours added to the same thing?
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 08:42 PM CDT
From what I recall, S'Kra Mur claws are supposed to be unsuitable for brawling. They're brittle and break easily, and there's also a very strong cultural taboo against it.

Melete

I see and I hear and I speak no evil;

I carry no malice within my breast;

Yet quite without wishing a man to the Devil,

One may be permitted to hope for the best.
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 08:46 PM CDT
>>From what I recall, S'Kra Mur claws are supposed to be unsuitable for brawling. They're brittle and break easily, and there's also a very strong cultural taboo against it.

From what I've found the taboo seems to have come about as a player made thing in reaction to not being able to brawl with them.

From: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:S%27kra_tail_sweep_-_1/19/2011_-_1:40:48

Specifically:
>>Now, I'm going to concede the claw thing. Honestly, the claw brawling bonus should have been added ages ago. There's been some accepted practice among many S'Kra that using the claws is also vulgar, but I actually believe this originated with the fact that there was no brawling bonus, so the impropriety of using claws became the rationale behind the lack of a racial perk. Then Prydaen came along, with their brawling bonus, and now we're left out in the cold? No, S'Kra Mur should get the claw bonus too. I also discussed this with "one of the bosses" and he agreed entirely that S'Kra Mur should get a claw bonus to brawling. He also agreed that with Combat being worked on, it's very likely completely impossible to do right now, so sorry about that. I'll keep you posted if anything changes. DR-BASILISC
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 08:53 PM CDT
We can look into it, but the way things are these days, I think it's more likely that we would simply remove the other bonii than add new ones. A lot has changed since that post was written.

Melete

Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 09:00 PM CDT
See that Cats, the Snakes just nerfed you. fight.

- Buuwl
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 09:20 PM CDT
No nerfing is incoming, pls to put down the pitchforks. It is just that our design philosophy re: racial bonuses has shifted, so I think adding more is unlikely. Even if I was mistaken about the origin of the taboo/brittle stuff (which is totally possible, since I trust Basilisc's take on the matter), I still don't think it is likely that we would add more racial bonuses when the general shift has been toward removing them.

Melete

Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 09:33 PM CDT
>>No nerfing is incoming, pls to put down the pitchforks. It is just that our design philosophy re: racial bonuses has shifted, so I think adding more is unlikely.

I guess I don't follow why it was converted to combat 3.0 for prydaen then. It seems like it's either the time to add it for s'kra or remove it from them; converting it and perpetuating the discrepancy seems like a strange choice.
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 10:06 PM CDT
Just because something made it through the transition doesn't mean it was intentionally converted to work with the new system. Many things ported over without having to go in and do updates to it specifically.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 10:27 PM CDT
>>I guess I don't follow why it was converted to combat 3.0 for prydaen then.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Claws? 06/18/2013 11:04 PM CDT
While anecdotal, it seems like the "Prydaen Claw bonus" does a lot less that in used to. I wasn't even sure it was included in 3.0, other than using "my claws" instead of "my fingertips".

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Claws? 06/19/2013 07:21 AM CDT
>>Just because something made it through the transition doesn't mean it was intentionally converted to work with the new system. Many things ported over without having to go in and do updates to it specifically.

My mistake in assuming then.

>>While anecdotal, it seems like the "Prydaen Claw bonus" does a lot less that in used to. I wasn't even sure it was included in 3.0, other than using "my claws" instead of "my fingertips".

Let's forget about the bonus for a moment. Would it be possible to have the "my claws" messaging added for S'Kra? The fingertips bit is what's really bugging me.