Rakash and Lifespans 12/27/2015 11:47 AM CST
So the Rakash are the race with the on average shortest lifespan, less than even Humans. Fantasy in general and DR in particular has fleshed out a lot of what a race with a longer lifespan has to deal with (Elves and Fading as one example). While an individual character has options for how long they live, has anyone thought about how the shorter lifespans impacts the culture and society of the Rakash and how a character may act?

I feel like this interacts well with the Rakash pack mentality. An individual Rakash is short lived and fleeting, it is the pack that lives on and sustains the group.
Re: Rakash and Lifespans 12/27/2015 03:16 PM CST
Their lifespans aren't hugely shorter, so I'm not sure how appreciable the cultural implications would be. There's a bigger difference in lifespans of men and women and hardly anyone comments on that!

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Rakash and Lifespans 12/27/2015 10:25 PM CST
>>Their lifespans aren't hugely shorter, so I'm not sure how appreciable the cultural implications would be. There's a bigger difference in lifespans of men and women and hardly anyone comments on that!

Good point on male versus femafe lifespans, but AFAIK there are no Amazon societies in Elanthia so the cultural implications are muted.

Although Rakash are not hugely shorter than Humans, Humans are "on average" shorter than everyone else, it's just used as a common yardstick because it is something players can understand.

Lifespans (Roughly)

Dwarves- 500
Elves- 500
Elothean- 350
Gnomes- 300
Kaldar- 135
Gor'Togs- 115
Halfling- 100
Humans- 100
S'Kra Mur- 100
Prydaen- 100
Rakash- 90

Yeah, Rakash aren't that different from Humans, but when you look and realize that Humans are already below average, it adds up to being a big difference.