Why did you... 06/25/2015 12:53 PM CDT
The recent thread on race/guild numbers got me wondering how many of selected the Prydaen race with mechanical, roleplay or a mix of both in consideration.

I certainly chose it for RP myself. The TDP costs for discipline were a massive detractor, I waffled between making a Dwarf for pure mechanical reasons and doing what I wanted, which was to play a Prydaen. This was of course in respect to being a Cleric.

So came about Shaidval! How about yours?

Usually when I observe people PvPing it is a problem with their stat assignment being much less than their opponent, and more often than not their opponent has higher skills than they were expecting. - Kodius

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time. - Sun Tzu
Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 05:24 PM CDT
I've been debating a Prydaen for a while, but haven't yet. My oldest character was a Rakash, right after they were released, and I was torn at the time between the two. I was rolling up a Bard and I actually thought from the existing Lore (IIRC) that the Rakash came across as more of storytellers at the time. Ironically the Prydaen have appeared to make more of a plash on the Guild than the Rakash ... Hindsight.
Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 08:22 PM CDT
Prydaen thrive on storytellers as well, that being a main form of teaching and historical record keeping, something the Prydaen share in common with the Rakash. We could truly use someone who had the creative urge and drive to create stories for the Pryaden community. As a society, we would typically gather once a month in our hub and take that time to feast, tell stories and seek mates. I could very easily see us adopting that custom for the adventuring population. Gather together at the end of every calendar month and do our thing!

Usually when I observe people PvPing it is a problem with their stat assignment being much less than their opponent, and more often than not their opponent has higher skills than they were expecting. - Kodius

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time. - Sun Tzu
Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 09:02 PM CDT
I chose it for roleplaying reasons and figured that I would have to train some skills I probably had no use for to gain a bunch of extra TDPs to make up for the discipline TDP penalty being that I wanted to play a Warrior Mage.

I am all for gathering in our hub and telling stories and socializing. We could share any songs/poems/performances that have been inspired by our history. I would even be up for doing most of my magic training when I'm not hunting at the hub so that I can run classes or listen to classes. My only issue with that is our hub has snakes running around in every room and I'm wondering if that would cause issues for very young players if not just be annoying to deal with.

Xionara, Prydaen Warrior Mage, Follower of the Three
Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 09:05 PM CDT
The room in the center of Sunfall (with the food) is a safe room, though I don't think that stops the snakes from going in and out and it can be rather scrolly.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 09:08 PM CDT
Yeah, both races had some lore early on, but since then I think it's been far more fleshed out with the Prydaen. Bardic Knots have been incorporated from the Prydaen, there are enchantes/spells in the Guild from the Prydaen, etc. I've actually really started to wish that if the Bard Guild ever gets a new Guild Hall that the new Guildleader is Prydaen.
Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 09:40 PM CDT
Hmm, if the room is just a little scrolly that's not terrible. I'm going to start parking myself up there then. Maybe we can spread the word.

Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 10:15 PM CDT
Seems like there's no issue with snakes in the center room, is that new? For some reason I seem to remember vipers wandering in and out of the central room, but now I get this messaging:

With feigned expressions of placidity, Prydaen warriors prowl the edges of the Hub's central area, easily skewering any of the snakes that make their way into the area and either consuming them live, or tossing them into the bonfire.

I dig it.

Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 10:43 PM CDT
Ear and tail verbs... is why I can't go with another one now. Being able to express yourself physically in so many neat ways...

Before that, it was for their backstory stuff. I knew my character was gonna be from a tribe of sorts, some unknown little group of nobodies that could safely come and go in the grand scheme of things. Pouring over lore before getting into a game is too difficult, so the Prydaens being all homeless and spread out was perfect. Being a cute little fuzzball is just the icing.

I started with a Rakash a year or two back, but I was too distracted to learn how to play. I keep wanting to make another, but I don't like being stuck as a boring old human-shape for so long, and likely sleep through the full moon.
Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 11:09 PM CDT
As a player, I loved and played S'Kra Mur mostly, but I always had an alt that was Prydaen, because I LOVED all of the lore available for them.

As a staff member, I wanted to help correct some of the (in my private opinion) nonsense that had happened to the Prydaen race in the past and give them some more development and release some major racial projects.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Why did you... 06/25/2015 11:34 PM CDT
>> As a staff member, I wanted to help correct some of the (in my private opinion) nonsense that had happened to the Prydaen race in the past and give them some more development and release some major racial projects.

coughsee-through wedding dresses

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Why did you... 06/26/2015 08:40 AM CDT
I like the Sunhall Hub in theory, but I like the Tree out by Wolf Clan more. Mmmmm, fresh food. I truly endorse the idea of us gathering together regularly AND on a monthly basis for mentioned ideas.

Sadly, I live in Shard and work for Ilithi so my ability to gather near Crossing will be limited to the monthly gathering.

Re: Why did you... 06/26/2015 12:08 PM CDT
>>I like the Sunhall Hub in theory,

I hated the idea of wasted space.. so I gave the Hub two purposes. It also just sort of made sense that there'd be creatures around. Easy food, yo. That said.. there will be other Prydaen areas that are not overrun with creatures.

>>The Tree/The Grove

This was originally GM Shakahn's office. I recreated it minus the parts that were distinctly his office, but the tree itself will be moving in the future to a permanent home that makes sense for it. Currently, sitting in brambles next to some cliffs is not really.. believable.

I'll have more information its new home when that area is closer to release.

>>see through wedding dresses
Sheer/transparent/translucent/gossamer/whatever clothing as "traditional" is just inane and I refuse to believe a race that lives so similarly to RL Native Americans would wear something like that. Also.. it always seemed like an excuse to sexualize the race and give them "lingerie" with the excuse of making it "appropriate." Note: These are my private opinions and the stance I've taken as the race guru.

You can consider this retconned and now only something "a small sect of Eastern Prydaen" do.
---
NaOH+HI
Re: Why did you... 06/26/2015 01:37 PM CDT
>but the tree itself will be moving in the future to a permanent home that makes sense for it. Currently, sitting in brambles next to some cliffs is not really.. believable.

Is this part of the Trader guild magic event where the Prydaen contract the Trader's guild to pay the Moon mage guild to move the tree telekinetically; Yoda style? And the resulting cosmic disturbance causes the Enigma of Tenemlor's Shariza to manifest, cursing Traders worldwide with starlight auras and fuzzy tails.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Why did you... 06/26/2015 01:45 PM CDT

You just wish you had an awesome fuzzy tail, Skaen.
Re: Why did you... 06/26/2015 03:05 PM CDT
>>see through wedding dresses
Sheer/transparent/translucent/gossamer/whatever clothing as "traditional" is just inane and I refuse to believe a race that lives so similarly to RL Native Americans would wear something like that. Also.. it always seemed like an excuse to sexualize the race and give them "lingerie" with the excuse of making it "appropriate." Note: These are my private opinions and the stance I've taken as the race guru.

^My private opinion -- I concur.

I have to say, personally, I was disappointed and even dismayed when I discovered this particular piece of information. Not that it wasn't interesting to have it available, but I definitely did not picture something like that as what a race of hunting-gathering focused cat people would be wearing to go out into the wilds. It's been said that certain Prydaen tend to want to use every bit of an animal, for practical reasons, and I can't see the "traditional" clothing leaning so far in this direction.

The Prydaen race came across to me as ... aloof, dignified, haughty, proud. The reference to Native American tribes hits the nail right on the head for me. A race that demands and compels respect. I was really excited and jumped at the chance to role-play one of these amazing creatures. I loved the idea of having the freedom to roam where I wanted but to have a community that would welcome you back with open arms when you returned, however often that might be.

When I originally created the character I was hoping to have the opportunity to roleplay in a Prydaen community of sorts. It seems like we are all scattered about Elanthia from the experience that I've had in game. Maybe I'm out of the loop or something? I don't know, but that's been my experience from playing on and off. I was surprised with that since Prydaen can't reproduce with anyone except their own race. I would have thought to see more Prydaen meeting regularly at some spot or spots in the realms, following the lore, teaching classes and practicing skills, sharing stories about the hunt around a bonfire. Trying to connect with each other and recapture some sense of community. Trying to rebuild what they had had in the west. I always imagined that Prydaen might quite enjoy a bit of comfortable silence gathered around a bonfire with others of their kind.

Xionara Swiftstrike
Re: Why did you... 06/27/2015 09:30 PM CDT
>Sheer/transparent/translucent/gossamer/whatever clothing as "traditional" is just inane and I refuse to believe a race that lives so similarly to RL Native Americans would wear something like that. Also.. it always seemed like an excuse to sexualize the race and give them "lingerie" with the excuse of making it "appropriate." Note: These are my private opinions and the stance I've taken as the race guru.

I have a mistsilk shirt that I'd love for the material to be retconned into almost anything else.
Re: Why did you... 07/02/2015 02:01 PM CDT

I love re-using my mistsilk and marblesilk pieces in alterations, though - the marblesilk can be difficult due to the fabric rules. Arguing about whether a pattern counts as a nature-inspired pattern can be frustrating. It's fun tying in Prydaen materials into my not quite traditional dress. I blame all those years I spent in the bard guild when it was busy, clearly they were a bad influence.

My alternate character whose a Prydaen is definitely heavily native american inspired. She wears a loincloth and is a huge fan of leather/suede, feathers, and bone accents. I was really happy when the lengths of fabrics were released as I could start wearing a bandeau top, which is all I wanted on her.
Re: Why did you... 07/03/2015 01:48 PM CDT
>>though - the marblesilk can be difficult due to the fabric rules

Trust me, you would hate the prior rules.

1. Material may not be cut or it will completely unravel. This means you cannot use fodder to make something else, it has to remain the original base item.
2. Design must be one of the 4 approved ones and MUST have the same look as whichever of those 4.
3. Any alteration or marblesilk creation required approval from Team Prydaen.

Welcome to why marblesilk disappeared for so long, and why I changed those rules to something much easier to attain.

---
NaOH+HI