Gorbesh and the curious case of the missing "x" 05/21/2016 11:29 AM CDT
While doing my regular reading and research, I came across the strange fact that not a single word in the Gorbesh dictionaries has the letter "x" in it. At first I considered the possibility that the letter just doesn't really exist and they use other sound strings to make the sound as a few modern languages do, but then I realized that at least 3 major Gorbesh names have an "x" in their name (Xosiurion, Xin'Alaudas, and Sraxaec). Is this intentional or just someone forgetting to throw a few "x"s into words?
Re: Gorbesh and the curious case of the missing "x" 05/21/2016 01:29 PM CDT
It's not just those three major names. There are X names throughout the Albarian Timeline, e.g. Xesior, Ixas. (See the timeline on elanthipedia -- it's a good read.)

The best explanation is that whoever wrote the original Gorbesh lore and timeline (GM Cadaya I believe) was not the same person who later wrote the Gorbesh language.

As far as a possible IC explanation, I've gone with the idea that maybe X is special and reserved for names, possibly even for names of emperors/generals/gods, who may take on a new name upon ascending.

- Navesi
Re: Gorbesh and the curious case of the missing "x" 05/21/2016 02:59 PM CDT
I really like that honorific X notion. That's a nice idea.
Re: Gorbesh and the curious case of the missing "x" 05/21/2016 03:16 PM CDT
Considering the Gorbesh moved in on the Luethra empire, it may be modern Gorbesh is heavily influenced by Luethran (Endian?) and 'x' names are from older pre-contact Gorbesh.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Gorbesh and the curious case of the missing "x" 05/21/2016 06:56 PM CDT
<<As far as a possible IC explanation, I've gone with the idea that maybe X is special and reserved for names, possibly even for names of emperors/generals/gods, who may take on a new name upon ascending.

<<I really like that honorific X notion. That's a nice idea.

You are Unraveler of Truth Xyngleburt Pfeffernusse, Blademaster of the Prophets, a Gnome.

;D

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators