Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 02:52 AM CDT
LANGUAGE LEARNING

Over the years, there have been many proposals to allow characters to learn additional languages. I would like to revive the discussion, since the last GM post (about learning languages) in this folder was six years ago.

Some of these ideas may not be new, but here are my thoughts on how to implement the ability to learn additional languages. (It is not really possible to simulate realistic language learning in DragonRealms, so I am just hand-waving that aspect.)

Currently, all characters are (mechanically) fluent in Common and their racial language. I propose that characters be able to learn one or more additional languages depending on skillset and scholarship ranks. This scales to 1500 ranks, giving scholarship some much needed high-rank applications. It also gives some additional benefits for being lore-primary or lore-secondary, which is largely seen as useless if you are not a crafter.

Feat Lore Primary Lore Secondary Lore Tertiary
understand 3rd language 250 375 750
speak 3rd language 500 750 1,500
understand 4th language 750 1,125
speak 4th language 1,000 1,500
understand 5th language 1,250
speak 5th language 1,500

The rank benchmarks can be adjusted, but the idea is for skillset placement to determine how many languages you can learn and how easy it is to learn them.

For each language you wish to learn, you must learn to understand it before you learn to speak it. (For example, you cannot choose to speak Gamgweth unless you have already chosen to understand Gamgweth.)

Additionally, performance ranks could determine how proficient you sound. For example, at only 100 ranks in performance, a person speaking Gamgweth as a second language might speak "in broken Gamgweth." (This would show up in the description of the language, not the actual text of the message.) With enough ranks in performance, the descriptor would disappear entirely and just be "Isharon says in Gamgweth."

Performance Proficiency
0 barely comprehensible
100 broken
200 rudimentary
500 passable
750 nearly perfect
1,000 [none] (fully proficient)

For example:
Isharon says in nearly perfect Gamgweth, "We are meeting in Crossing in two anlaen."

The rank benchmarks and descriptors may vary, and there could be separate benchmarks depending on skillset placement, but you get the idea.

Performance is almost solely used for TDPs, so it would be nice to make use of it in a way that is not just spamming the room with a flashy zill concerto.

ACCENTS

Additionally, I propose the option to speak Common with an accent. Everyone would have the option of speaking with their racial accent. For example:

Isharon says in an Ilithic accent, "Good evening."

Additionally, citizenship should confer the ability to speak with the accent of that region (and possibly some cities within that region). For example:

Isharon says in a Zoluren accent, "The Elpalzi forces are nearly at our gate."

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 03:28 AM CDT
I really like this proposal. The idea of being able to learn an additional language through study is really interesting. I feel it would change the environment in a more realistic and immersive way. Things would definitely be a bit different if people couldn't just change to their racial language and assume that 9/10 people wouldn't understand what they were saying, since they could have decided to learn the language. The chances would be low, but not impossible (without magical spells or special items).

I'm not sure I would be on board with the performance suggestion, and here's why. My trader travels around the world delivering goods or selling gems and bundles for folks when she's in an area. It makes sense that she would learn extra languages to do this, but for her to play zills in order to increase the skill with which she speaks? That doesn't make sense to me. If I don't force her to sit around playing zills all the time, she would never speak very well. :(

I do like the idea of making performance do something other than just allowing you to make a flashy bit of sound on (instrument), but I'm not sure what I would suggest to make it a more valuable skill....

Maybe if one could mimic accents with performance, that would be interesting and a little funny, and a good roleplay tool. Thieves or Necromancers could pretend to be a bard from Illithi, a trader from Muspar'i, etc...

- I hate the word paywall and everything that goes with it. -
- Please keep the discussion on topic. Posts here should pertain to suggestions for Warrior Mages only please. MOD-Aneka

Xionara Swiftstrike
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 03:51 AM CDT
>>Millerk131: I'm not sure I would be on board with the performance suggestion, and here's why. My trader travels around the world delivering goods or selling gems and bundles for folks when she's in an area. It makes sense that she would learn extra languages to do this, but for her to play zills in order to increase the skill with which she speaks? That doesn't make sense to me. If I don't force her to sit around playing zills all the time, she would never speak very well.

Performance is badly in need of a rewrite, and in the future, it may very well include a lot more than playing instruments. (I would assume, too, that other training methods will become available.) Being able to sound more like a native speaker, at least accent-wise, requires the ability to perceive and mimic sounds, which could be a fitting application of performance.

Using performance to affect a native accent was actually my first idea, but I abandoned it when I couldn't decide on a good way to implement that in the description of how you speak. My original proposal was something like thickly accented, moderately accented, minimally accented, etc.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 07:25 AM CDT

> I really like this proposal.

Add one more vote for this proposal, but I'd make it a mix of performance and scholarship. Performance to speak, scholarship to understand.
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 09:05 AM CDT
I like it.

I might turn performance part on its head though. I'd make it so a learned language had some sort of pseudo-skill behind it and the way to move from broken to accented to fluent would be to actually use the language, which would teach performance as you learned.

I would also put some matrix in there that different races have an easier or harder time mastering different languages. Dwarves might have a harder time perfecting Elven, Humans might have problems with Rakash. Everybody would have trouble learning the impenetrable S'Kra.

Anabasis
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 11:49 AM CDT
That accent idea is amazing!

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 12:19 PM CDT
>> I would also put some matrix in there that different races have an easier or harder time mastering different languages. Dwarves might have a harder time perfecting Elven, Humans might have problems with Rakash. Everybody would have trouble learning the impenetrable S'Kra.

I'd rather see racial languages die completely and become regional languages than this happen, TBH. I know that's a pipe dream, but I hate racial languages. They don't make sense.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 01:05 PM CDT
>>racial languages. They don't make sense.
I disagree on the merit that they are differing races with different origins, different cultures, and largely developed independently of other races. To add onto this, several races have very different biological makeup, meaning they likely make some sounds more easily than others. It's already written into lore that Prydaen have weird lips and S'Kra Mur do not have lips, and have long, slender tongues. And who even knows what kind of weird biological nonsense is going on with Rakash.

While the more human-like races probably make quite similar noises, there's still the argument of some learning to make certain sounds the others do not. A great example of this is Mandarin Chinese in comparison to say, English, or, as I'm personally discovering, some German sounds are not very easy to mimic.

>>racial languages die completely and become regional languages
Funny you should say that, because we have regional languages AND racial, and for different reasons. If, say for example, Elves and Dwarves existed, developed, and evolved together, they would likely both speak either Ilithic, Haakish, or maybe a third language that encompassed both of their peoples.

The existing regional language would be Gorbesh. Gnomes and Gorbesh/Kaldar evolved together in a region for a long, long time, and both speak the same language. Gnomes have a history of having their own racial language once upon a time, but it's buried, it's untranslatable, it was never expanded on, and likely never will be. It's le ancient.

And then we have a pseudo regional language -- but also not really? Gor'Togs have no written language, only spoken. When writing, Gor'Togs are using Gamgweth, but not really the same way Humans use it, so there's no shared language knowledge. This is more of an adoption of an alphabet than anything.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 04:23 PM CDT
>> I disagree on the merit that they are differing races with different origins, different cultures, and largely developed independently of other races.

Okay, but that's also true of many real-life cultures, and obviously not all Humans in real life speak the same language. In DR, take Ilithic for example. Why does the several thousand year old isolated desert culture speak the same language and dialect as the several thousand year old isolated mountain culture thousands of miles away? It's flat-out not how languages work. They'd probably continue to be mutually intelligible after a few generations but they would become dramatically different languages.

When you have languages like S'Kra which were developed in part due to physiological differences, you'd still see regional drift into dialects and eventually those differences would make them become different languages. S'Kra from Muspar'i should speak a different language than S'Kra from Reshalia (especially since they actually have different physiology too in the form of snouts vs flat faces) because they're physically separated and have distinct and unique cultures, which are both the biggest major driving forces behind language development.

Gorbesh is how language should be done -- you have two distinct races, but which share the same region and have enough cultural overlap where it's likely they would all be speaking the same language. I would also frankly expect Prydaen and Rakash to either speak the same language or have their own cultural languages along with a third "pidgin" language that incorporates elements of both.

So that's why I don't like racial languages. It fails to take into account both physical separation and the fact that dramatically different cultures exist even within the same racial groups. We know how languages develop among and between distinct cultural and racial groups in real life; we've got an entire field dedicated to studying it. Physiology throws a little wrench into it, but not enough of one to justify my Musparan-raised Human speaking fluent Gamgweth but not a lick of S'Kra or Ilithic.

Sadly, I realize these ships have all sailed. It's just a minor frustration I have with fantasy games in general, because they almost all handle language like this.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 06:29 PM CDT
In general, I suspect there's a larger xenophobic factor that would lead to races retaining individual languages than there would be between two human cultures, fwiw. Particularly in certain cases such as between elves and humans. Geographical and isolation differences aside, of course.

There's also the comexity factor. Do we really want a functional language system so complex as to have regional dialects or multiple differing languages across a single race when people would barely even use it? Realism is nice sometimes, but too much of it isn't when there isn't much of a return on it. A more robust version of what we have now would serve just as well and would require far less effort to implement for essentially the same return.
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 08:57 PM CDT
Yes please, and instead of using your hobby or career for crafting, be able to use it to bump up your language ability.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Vic
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/26/2016 10:51 PM CDT
> Particularly in certain cases such as between elves and humans. Geographical and isolation differences aside, of course.

Keep in mind, also, that language tends to shift between generations. Your great-grandparents may very well have spoken english, but they spoke it differently than you did. Could you understand them? Sure, mostly... when the dentures were in... But there were all sorts of colloquialisms that made it difficult to understand the previous generations without putting effort into it. Not just phrases that aren't commonly used anymore, either - there are words we use today that even my mother doesn't understand, and my great-grandmother often sent people to do her shopping for her, because she just didn't understand half of the options being presented. And that's just the difference of a few generations, in a 150 year span. What happens when the average lifespan for a race is 500 years?

~Aislynn
Re: Learning Languages and Using Accents 04/28/2016 10:55 PM CDT
Personally, I think the whole crafting tech system should be scrapped as it is in favour of "lore slots" that are earned based on circle, like spell slots. You could only put a certain number of lore slots into a skill (perhaps with the limit being determined the same way that the current crafting techs are awarded).