Common 09/17/2014 07:06 PM CDT
What's the IG lore for common? Where does it come from? Presumably if the Seven Star Empire had an official language, it was common. Was it widespread before the empire?
Re: Common 09/17/2014 10:44 PM CDT
>>What's the IG lore for common? Where does it come from? Presumably if the Seven Star Empire had an official language, it was common.

An Imperial commission was created by the Seven Star Empire. Their sole purpose was to create what became known as Common in order to provide mutual understanding and economic benefits.

The name of "Common" presumably comes from "common tongue." I know nothing about if it was ever an official Imperial language.

>>Was it widespread before the empire?
Since it was an Imperial commission that created the language, I'd say no.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Common 09/18/2014 04:31 AM CDT
So it's artificial. Interesting. Presumably it's drifted from the original version, though.

Thanks.
Re: Common 09/18/2014 09:08 AM CDT
Except for the word "snert". That's from the old tongue.
Re: Common 09/18/2014 10:27 AM CDT
>Except for the word "snert". That's from the old tongue.

And fog. The realms used to be besieged by crippling fog, at times so bad you couldn't see your own hands.
Re: Common 09/18/2014 01:03 PM CDT
Speaking of words in Common.. Amusingly enough, there are random notes about Common including untranslated words from the various racial languages, especially Haakish (darn stubborn Dwarves.) These all became "Common" in an effort to placate people into learning and using the language.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Common 09/18/2014 06:11 PM CDT
>>DR-Naohhi: The name of "Common" presumably comes from "common tongue." I know nothing about if it was ever an official Imperial language.

Gamgweth was the official court language of the Empire of the Seven Pointed Star. You can see this legacy in the names of places, items, titles, and spells.

It's not IG lore, but I've always assumed that the term "Common" may have been influenced by The Lord of the Rings, which also uses the term "Common Speech" for the language that is spoken throughout Middle Earth. (This language evolved from Adûnaic, the language of the Men of Númenor. Gamgweth, the court language of the Empire, is the language of humans.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Common 09/19/2014 12:21 PM CDT
Nerd.

(I mean this with total love/joking/etc.)
---
NaOH+HI