Ilithic enquiry 03/08/2010 10:04 AM CST
Would anyone happen to know what the Ilihtic is for Shadow? I've been searching but can't seem to find it. I know there are a lot of experts out there so hoped someone might know!

Lysorla :)

p.s. if you wanted to say singing wind, or windsong would it be Haize larestun or Haizen larestu? or something completely different!
Re: Ilithic enquiry 03/08/2010 10:24 AM CST
Easiest would be "hidarin" which would literally be "lightless" and could easily be translated as "shadow" depending on your context.

Rev. Reene

"Oh, I'm not omniscient -- but I know a lot."
- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: Ilithic enquiry 03/08/2010 01:54 PM CST
>p.s. if you wanted to say singing wind, or windsong would it be Haize larestun or Haizen larestu? or something completely different!

Singing wind = Larestata haize

Windsong = Because the genitive singular and the adjective form both add the suffix -en, both "Windy song" and "Song of wind" would be written Haizen esturi

There's no reference to compound words like "windsong" in Ilithic the same way we do in English.

Lacking a word for "Shadow" in the dictionary, Reene's suggestion is your best bet unless the GM in charge of the language drops it on you.

~ Kougen

A shadowling arches through the air, trying desperately to get its wings working before it sails out the window.
Re: Ilithic enquiry 03/08/2010 02:06 PM CST
The Gamgweth word for shadow is also something like "naught light," so Ilithic may as well follow suit.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Ilithic enquiry 03/08/2010 06:39 PM CST
Thank you all :) That was very helpful.

Lys
Re: Ilithic enquiry 03/08/2010 09:50 PM CST
Ilithic words are supposedly very commonly modified with suffixes, and prefixes, thus the concept of being non-light, or without-light might be good.

Also there is the Word Darkness in Ilithic, that might be closer to the concept.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Ilithic enquiry 03/09/2010 09:59 AM CST
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=dictionary&go=Go