Creol 02/14/2009 03:31 AM CST
Now, I doubt this is very easy coding wise. Hell, I doubt this is even very popular....

How about adding in a way to mix languages?

For example:

You say, "Hey your momma's a," and then finish in Toggish, "crazy lady."

Caraamon says, "Hey, your momma's a," and then says something in Toggish.

See? Pointless AND unpopular. The best kind of update.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Creole 02/14/2009 08:37 AM CST
Sorry - had to fix that.

--Vyraka--
Re: Creole 02/15/2009 12:32 AM CST
With most of the Tog characters I've played, at least, I try to keep a few Toggish phrases around to throw into conversation from time to time. My present primary character, Darukamo, is more this way than many of my others, particularly when he gets anxious/angry/etc. He also tends to slip into a Toggish/Haakish/Common pidgin, from time to time, having been raised in Forfedhdar.

It's an interesting little exercise for me to come up with the stuff I can toss out there. The fun thing about using creole/pidgin speaking patterns is that eventually they may start adding more vocabulary to other players in a rather viral fashion.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Darukamo Takarim
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"It's not about making money, it's about taking money; destroying the status quo because the status is not quo." - Dr. Horrible
Re: Creol 02/15/2009 12:32 AM CST
>>How about adding in a way to mix languages?

Sure.

>'}Cara Your mother is a smozh.

Inauri
Re: Creol 02/15/2009 10:32 PM CST
But see, it's the same problem as when people include other languages in alterations: if you don't have a dictionary handy, you're just kinda outta luck.

I'd like to see ways to add autoconverted languages, as if you switched via the LANG verb.

Re: Creol 02/16/2009 02:29 PM CST
>>But see, it's the same problem as when people include other languages in alterations: if you don't have a dictionary handy, you're just kinda outta luck.

Not really. When someone says something in another language, it's not OOC for your character to ask, "Huh? What does 'waai Dabru' mean?"... nor is my character's response "Oh, that's brother Dwarf. Waai is Toggish, Dabru is Haakish." Or if they want they can just whisper/OOC the question to me.

When my family moved to Hawaii for a year (coincided with my freshman year of high school), I found myself asking those sorts of questions all the time at first. "Dees da kine! You pau, brah? Geev'um!"

It's really not the same as having to ask someone "What's that hunthsleg thing you're holding?" because you would be able to tell at a glance that it's just a spear by another name.

Darukamo Takarim
"It's not about making money, it's about taking money; destroying the status quo because the status is not quo." - Dr. Horrible
Re: Creol 02/19/2009 06:41 PM CST
Ya, but what if it's Hawkish and you're playing a dwarf? Or a Bard with the whatchamacallit song.

Would be nice to have autotranslations.

Plus, it would let you use words not in the dictionaries.

Re: Creol 02/19/2009 09:43 PM CST
>>Ya, but what if it's Hawkish and you're playing a dwarf? Or a Bard with the whatchamacallit song.

That's when OOC whispers come in handy.

>>Would be nice to have autotranslations.

I do agree with this, though. Just so I'm perfectly clear: I'm not at all trying to poo-poo the idea, I think it's a good one.

>>Plus, it would let you use words not in the dictionaries.

This is a good point, too, though personally I enjoy trying to come up with compound-word alternatives to things I can't pull straight from the dictionaries. Sort of like Tarupamkis aren't horses, but their name is a Toggish compound for 'cheese horse.' But of course, one must accept on some level that any decisions made like that are, by nature, non-canonical.

Darukamo Takarim
Re: Creol 02/28/2009 10:09 AM CST
>But see, it's the same problem as when people include other languages in alterations
So you're saying you don't like my tattoo...

>It's really not the same as having to ask someone "What's that hunthsleg thing you're holding?" because you would be able to tell at a glance that it's just a spear by another name.
Or my weapons...

>Or a Bard with the whatchamacallit song.
Or the songs I sing...

BTW, I'm a Cleric, not a Bard!

>I've always found it irritatingly interesting that so many (of every single race) claim to be orphans in Elanthia. ~ Bambina