Learning other languages 03/11/2008 05:31 PM CDT
It was requested years ago that we have the ability to learn other languages. Is this something that DR intends to implement?
Re: Learning other languages 03/13/2008 03:44 PM CDT
I don't see why not. Something like:

300 scholarship to learn a second language of your choosing.

600 scholarship to learn a third.

900 etc..

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Learning other languages 03/13/2008 05:03 PM CDT
I don't think there should be a hard scholarship requirement. People of many varying degrees of higher education and academic familiarity are able to learn new languages in real life. I think learning a language should involve either tdps or long 'instruct' type classes or both. With the cost in tdps and/or time reduced by the student's scholarship and the teacher's teaching ability. High mental stats should also reduce the costs.
Re: Learning other languages 04/07/2008 12:35 PM CDT
Would be sort of interesting to be able to send ourselves to the Academy for a language class. Gorbesh I, Gorbesh II. Maybe as you progress through the classes, you start picking out certain words when spoken. Though, it's difficult with the current system to be able to make that work. We currently see "Lucerella says something in Ilithic" instead of the Ilithic words themselves. If there were a way to make that work, it'd be pretty nifty.

~L.S.~
Re: Learning other languages 04/07/2008 01:46 PM CDT
Not really - just give each word a % chance of being understood based on how far you are in your language training, and auto replace the others with ...

So it would look like this: ""Lucerella says something in Ilithic. You catch part of it: ... goblin boxes ... ... ... picked?"
Re: Learning other languages 04/14/2008 05:13 PM CDT
I think a good system for implementing the learning of languages with minimal effort on the part of the designers (or so I think, but I don't fully understand the process by which the game mechanics are designed) would be to make learning it a one-on-one process (to prevent it from being too easy), kind of like learning empathy minus the linking, and just make each new language a skill + skillset in your list, with a top cap (for example let's say 200).

Let's say you're a native speaker then you automatically start out with 200 in a skill, and you want to teach it to your friend of another species. You sit in an area outside of combat (blah, etc) and start teaching this ONE person your language, and they learn based on your skill in teaching and their skill in scholarship. It's goes through the stages of learning just like anything else, eventually mind locking and blah. As for speaking, you start understanding words of a certain number of letters, say at 10 you can understand one or two letter words like "I" or "an", at 20 you can understand 3~5 leter words, so on and so forth, and at 100 you understand everything in a language. From there it would be the same thing for being able to speak it, and at 200 you'd have the whole language mastered. The logic for this is that in a language you typically have to learn to understand it fluently before you can REALLY start speaking it, though IRL you need to speak it a little to understand it completely because you need to do that to start associating words and sentence structure and blah, so maybe adjust like 10 for understanding 1~3 letter words, 20 for being able to speak 1~3 letter words, and whatnot.

As for what it would look like say a person with these ranks it would be like:

>
Blah says in Rakash, "Blah in blah, but blah blahbittyblah blahsa a blah."

And to you with 10 ranks in Rakash it would say:

>
You hear Blah say something in Rakash, but you only catch "in", "but", and "a" and the rest is gibberish.

Then at 20 ranks in Rakash you'd say:

>You say in Rakash, "Blah in blah, but blah blahbittyblah blahsa a blah."

And they see:

>
You hear Blah say something in Rakash, but you only catch "in", "but", and "a" and the rest is gibberish.

(Alternatively, I like the way DracosIII put understanding text)

Also, to help it become more of an RP-based decision instead of everyone learning every language for the points I'd make Languages its own skillset with no TDPs, and set it to a learning rate standard for everyone. Also, the idea of using TDPs to learn it is a bit impractical. In a real life situation you don't necessarily have to sacrifice doing anything for your body or your mind or you likeability to learn a new language (in fact IRL some people lear languages on the job, especially construction or electric work), and to suggest that you sacrifice points that help you build up these things for your character isn't right. I don't particularly like the idea of a % of being understood based on training either, unless it's sort of like a crit chance of saying something beyond your skill level based on your skill level x scholarship + (wisdom x intellect)/blah or however those equations work.

I was just talking last week with someone about suggesting this, and it's kind of fun to see it was recently mentioned in the forums. This is just my two-cents on the matter o_o Forgive me if it seems a bit jumbly and contradictory at times, I wrote it inbetween working and doing stuff in game.

Yar!
Re: Learning other languages 04/14/2008 06:04 PM CDT
>> While I would very much like to see my Elven character be able to speak fluent Gerenshuge (as he was raised by an Elothean), I would rather not see dozens of people speaking every language fluently six weeks after the ability to learn them goes live. Seeing as how good players are at breaking games, you should be able to imagine how difficult it would be to come up with a system that would allow for cross-cultural curiosity without making the whole concept of different languages a joke since so many people would speak so many of them.

It seems to me that a rising TDP cost and growing rank requirement (such as scholarship) on top of some kind of stat requirement (intelligence?) for each language learned would be a fine way to address this.

Rev. Reene

You turn the gaharzen a few ways, trying to activate it. You hear an unsettling metallic click, and the gaharzen vibrates slightly in your hand.
The gaharzen pulses a moment then shatters in majestic beauty, sending slivers flying.
Re: Learning other languages 04/14/2008 06:20 PM CDT
>> You'd think, but you say you want to take away their coveted TDPs so they can speak Gorbesh and they whine, and whine, and whine...

Clearly they didn't want to speak Gorbesh that badly then.

I'd sacrifice a good chunk of TDPs for my character to understand and speak Gamgweth and Gerenshuge. If it cost too much, I'd settle for just Gamgweth.

Could also put it on a Throne-style system where you would have to wait, oh, say, 4 IG years before you can go learn another new language or else the TDP cost is several orders of magnitude higher.

Rev. Reene

You turn the gaharzen a few ways, trying to activate it. You hear an unsettling metallic click, and the gaharzen vibrates slightly in your hand.
The gaharzen pulses a moment then shatters in majestic beauty, sending slivers flying.
Re: Learning other languages 04/14/2008 10:00 PM CDT
I like that idea, actually. People would still learn every one, though, so you might need to put a practical cap on just how many you can learn. Personally, only two of my chars would even WANT to learn other languages, and no more than two. Same ones, too, because of who they're around. Anything more seems terribly impractical and would ruin the RPing experience, unless say you had a bard or something, and they have a spell for that.

Yar!
Re: Learning other languages 04/14/2008 10:32 PM CDT
I can see my character knowing (in addition to Ilithic): Gerenshuge, S'Kra Mur, and Gamgweth. I imagine priority would be in that order.
Re: Learning other languages 04/15/2008 12:02 AM CDT
i think learning other languages would be easier/harder depending on your language.

for instance, prydaen and rakash might learn each others language easier.

togs and s'kra.

the others might pair up like this:

elves and elotheans possibly

gnomes and dwarves

halflings and humans or kaldar and humans

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Learning other languages 05/23/2008 01:06 AM CDT
None of the languages in DR seem to bear any genetic resemblance to one another that I can see (genetic in the sense it's used in in linguistics) so I'm not sure how that would play out, Gonif.

The red-bellied turtle hisses, "slander and hunt me if ye will but good prevails in the end your evil ways shall not be tolerated in these realms for long and ye heart is faint compared to the righteousness that dwells within mine" - Argotheo's turtle
Re: Learning other languages 05/23/2008 01:08 AM CDT
>> None of the languages in DR seem to bear any genetic resemblance to one another that I can see

Gor'tog and S'kra.

Rev. Reene

"Humani nil alienum a me puto."
- Terentius Afer
Re: Learning other languages 05/23/2008 03:56 PM CDT
>>Gor'tog and S'kra.

Good point. However, these two languages have radically different morphology (how they form words), as evidenced by their respective grammars (there is a grammar of sorts floating around out there for S'Kra, but it's unofficial), so the words these two languages share (for instance, 'smolgi') are loan words.

An awesome example of this would be Yiddish. At its base, Yiddish is a Germanic language, its grammar is virtually identical to standard High German (with the exception of Yiddish dropping German's genitive case, and probably a few other things I can't think of right now), but Yiddish is full of loan words from other languages, particularly Hebrew, a Semetic language (because it was employed as a lingua franca by European Jews).

Does Yiddish have a ton of Hebrew loan words? Yes. Is it genetically related to Hebrew by a common ancestor language? No.

The red-bellied turtle hisses, "slander and hunt me if ye will but good prevails in the end your evil ways shall not be tolerated in these realms for long and ye heart is faint compared to the righteousness that dwells within mine" - Argotheo's turtle
Re: Learning other languages 06/04/2008 07:16 AM CDT
I know a lot of people that would cheer if a system for this came out.

And being able to learn other languages easier than others is a decent concept. Even though some of them aren't similar in structure, they might be more common to someone who lives in the same geographic area, like Prydaen and Rakash, for example.

Now, as for what you can actually pick out.. It could go by character count. Maybe first level is four letters or less, next is six letters or less, and so on so forth. Something like that might be easier handled (and easier to code) by the system. Counting characters in a word has to be much easier on it than recognizing actual words.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
Badtooth slips an ice pick in his spidersilk garter, tightening the ribbons securely below his knee.
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Learning other languages 06/04/2008 10:20 AM CDT
>>And being able to learn other languages easier than others is a decent concept. Even though some of them aren't similar in structure, they might be more common to someone who lives in the same geographic area, like Prydaen and Rakash, for example.<<

While I can agree that learning languages be made easier based on the geographical location of a race might be a good idea, I don't think it's very realistic. For instance, I'm a Forest Elf who spent early years near Leth Deriel but was schooled in Muspar'i. Would that make it easier for me to learn S'Kra Mur because of the time spent in Muspar'i or Gamgweth or Gerenshuge due to my time between Zoluren and Ilithi? And how would that even be coded, unless it was added into the proposed Clan system?

I think learning languages should only be made easier for those whose dialect sounds similar, if that theory is even fleshed out. And I very much like the idea which was posted on one of the Lore boards I believe about needing a base amount of scholarship and vocals to even understand one language (200 in each), and 300 of each to actually speak the language.

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Learning other languages 07/21/2008 03:53 AM CDT
What I've always wanted was the option to choose a different racial language tahn your own instead. The reason for this is, say you were a Rakash raised by Elves from birth (races chosen at randon). I would like to be able to speak inithic instead of Rakash.

--Player of many, master of none--
Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 12:24 AM CDT
This is a very good idea. Allow people to choose a second language during character creation; let them know which goes with which race, etc. and then have them make a choice on their own.

I had a good idea for a signature... but I forgot what it was...
Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 01:09 AM CDT
I predict a surge of Ilithic-speaking Humans with slightly pointed ears.

Rev. Reene

Idon: Why are we taunting the happy fun Y'shai, again?
Me: Idon know.
Idon: You disgust me.
Me: At least I'm not trying to Phelim up.
Idon: Makes me wonder what she's doing to the World Dragon.
Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 07:54 AM CDT
>>I predict a surge of Ilithic-speaking Humans with slightly pointed ears.

Even that could open up RP opertunities. Such as a "true" elf's disdain for these half-breeds.

Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 04:59 PM CDT
>> Even that could open up RP opertunities. Such as a "true" elf's disdain for these half-breeds.

There are no actual half-elves. :\

Rev. Reene

Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 05:16 PM CDT
>>There are no actual half-elves.

Incorrect. In DR is simply a matter of upbringing rather than biology. The world just isn't big enough to hide from all the bullies all the time, and inevitably we all learn that Mommy and Daddy did some very naughty things allowing you to reach this point in your life.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 05:28 PM CDT
J'lo, please stop posting.

Half-elves don't exist in dragonland. A human and and elf breeding do not make a different species, it's one or the other. We've been told this repeatedly.

Rev. Reene

Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 07:59 PM CDT
>>Half-elves don't exist in dragonland. A human and and elf breeding do not make a different species, it's one or the other. We've been told this repeatedly.

True enough, but I'm sure ther eare pleanty of folks out there who would still RP bias against eitehr a Human or an Elf who was known to have an interracial coupling. No matter what race the ofspring ended up being.

Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 08:15 PM CDT
>> True enough, but I'm sure ther eare pleanty of folks out there who would still RP bias against eitehr a Human or an Elf who was known to have an interracial coupling. No matter what race the ofspring ended up being.

Yes, but that's not what I was alluding to in my post.

Rev. Reene

Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 10:22 PM CDT
>>Yes, but that's not what I was alluding to in my post.

Actually, you left it open-ended. It was mostly obvious that the post you were responding to was referring to biological half-breeds, and you corrected him in your response. His use of quotes around the word true, however, places what could be an unnecessary spin on the subject and you did not in fact address this possibility. Ergo, the entirety of your point was not only that there are no biological half-elves but that nobody pokes fun, harasses, or discriminates against full elves or full humans with parents from both races. To my knowledge, nobody has yet come forth to say one way or the other so I said so and brought the topic right back to the original poster's comment.

If you've got proof or a good reference that this is in fact the case, your brevity was a rather poor choice to make as a proclaimed knowledgeable player of the game (to put it bluntly, it is the exact sort of thing I would do).

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 10:35 PM CDT
<<J'lo, please stop posting.>>

Someone should start counting how many times this is said.

I had a good idea for a signature... but I forgot what it was...
Re: Learning other languages 07/23/2008 10:48 PM CDT
>>His use of quotes around the word true,however...
Thank you for noticing.

>>Yes, but that's not what I was alluding to in my post.
Just so as to be clear, I meant acknowledge your point also. If this wasn't clear, I appologize.

>>J'lo, please stop posting
This one is a bit off topic, but here goes anyhow: I doubt you really care by now, but for the record, I've no problem with you on these boards, either here or on the Plat side. I swear folks make it out as though you are the only person ever wrong... and how often does anyone say "huh, he's right this time"?

:Nudge: Learning other languages 07/25/2008 12:08 AM CDT
Keep the conflicts to the appropriate folders, please.

Questions and/or comments can be sent to MOD-Hagbar@play.net, Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@play.net.