Prydaen Dictionary 04/13/2007 09:30 AM CDT
I am just starting to look at the dictionaries for other languages and noticed that the Prydaen Dictionary on the Claw and Fang site... does not seem to have a word for fang. Did I just miss it, or is there not a word for fang yet? Or is the dictionary on that site not complete? That strikes me as a fairly important word for Prydaens. Thanks in advance for clearing it up.

On Sereena's center table you see a hole-riddled village idiot's pie sack.
What would YOU keep in the sack?

Why in the world would you want to nibble a vicious warcat?
Re: Prydaen Dictionary 04/15/2007 03:24 PM CDT
>I am just starting to look at the dictionaries for other languages and noticed that the Prydaen Dictionary on the Claw and Fang site... does not seem to have a word for fang.

tooth, fang [n] choth

http://www.clawandfang.com
Re: Prydaen Dictionary 04/18/2007 08:19 AM CDT
Just be careful in pronunciation of the word. :)

chuth [n]: land

Interesting implications there if you read between the lines, like the land or territory a hub or pryde would call their own would be the area ruled by their hunters via claw and fang, though the concept of ownership is a bit different because you can't really own Eu and, as I understand it, hubs moved and prydes were loose family groups that were even more mobile.

I would love to know if I'm off base in what I'm seeing between the lines there though.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Prydaen Dictionary 04/30/2007 04:00 PM CDT
Ah, ok, bundled with tooth, that makes sense. Thank you.
I also could not find shadow anywhere in there, even bundled with a word like black or darkness. No word for this yet?

Re: Prydaen Dictionary 05/04/2007 01:26 AM CDT
darkness [n] dish
black [adj] ruguro
midnight [n] chukea
night [n] rakenge

I am thinking that they did not combine all types of shadow and shade under one term. So one might speak of the darkness under a pine or the darkenss of a cave, etc being black as midnight. Of course we have just a few words to work with, so who knows.

If you want shadowtooth. I would probably go with blacktooth or nighttooth. Unfortunately, I think blacktooth might remind certain uneducated furless of dishcloth. so you should probably pick nighttooth if you are thinking of a name. :)

On the side, I've found a few things I wonder about.
This is an interestingly close pair:
danger [n] rifabi
comet [n] rafeki

I'm guessing this pair comes from shards that fell and flooded the west, destroying the civilization out there.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Prydaen Dictionary 05/08/2007 07:41 PM CDT
Actually I was originally thinking of Shadowfang, but I've come up with plenty to choose between since