Olvi racial specialty weapon idea 08/21/2008 02:03 AM CDT
Heya,

Just wanted to drop an idea for a new weapon type for the Olvi folk, somewhat along the same lines as the Dwarves with their tunneler's axes.

To state the idea in brief; I'd like to see a 'long metal pipe' type weapon (or perhaps name it in the Olvi language to distinguish it more readily from lead pipes and whatnot), swappable between a standard-functioning tobacco-using smokable pipe, and either a light blunt or short staff type weapon (hopefully with decent stats , at least while in Olvi hands).

Such sorts of pipes (generally 1.5' to 3' long, made of iron or steel, sometimes even sporting sword-like guards positioned above the mouthpiece/handle) were used, in a RL historical context, by Japanese peasants and gangs in the 16th and 17th centuries. But I think they're most fitting for the Olvi culture in DR.

Perhaps they could be an Olvi-only template/pattern under the revamped forging system after the Lore changes, if such race/guild-based templates are still being considered.

Thanks.

Putting the Romance back in Necromancer.

Necromancy: Because every man lives, not every man really dies.
Re: Olvi racial specialty weapon idea 08/21/2008 08:30 PM CDT
Olvi racial weapon from auctions was, I believe, a SS or LB weapon.

Perhaps we could aim higher this time, and go for a weapon type that someone will use more than once a century.

Make it a MB.
Re: Olvi racial specialty weapon idea 08/21/2008 08:48 PM CDT
Works for me. My only reason for suggesting the other types was in the (perhaps vain) hopes that it'd spur the GMs to actually release a worthwhile weapon of either of those types. But by all means, if the only way they could be made as viable weapons was to make them one of the 'standard' weapon types, I'd certainly vote for MB.

Putting the Romance back in Necromancer.

Necromancy: Because every man lives, not every man really dies.
Re: Olvi racial specialty weapon idea 02/07/2010 03:55 PM CST
I've always pictured Olvi with a nice long pipe that they could lean back and smoke, the bowl resting on their toes. If bothered in thie important activity, the pipe could function as a quarter staff or a staff sling, as it would have a nice strap that would let the olvi wear it when not smoking.

Any way, I have an active imagination and I like that I can now use my sling from hiding appropriately. I haven't tested the staff sling, but I hope it can also be used stealthily.

"Sometimes you guys scare me."--Annwyl
"You people worry me."--GM Abasha
"Hmm..."--Z