Size Curse 03/11/2008 02:16 AM CDT
I was thinking about it the other day, and it occurred to me. Now that our carrying bonus is gone, we no longer have any advantage to being considered "large." But we do have plenty of disadvantages: Shard custom armor costs more, a number of race specific items (a couple cloaks come to mind) are more expensive and more rare since our size is only worn by Gor'Togs. I even think there are some spaces we have difficulty fitting in or cannot at all (damned if I can remember where).

So why can't we get some advantages for it (and if you say our stamina/strength bonus is that, I kill you, I kill you ded)? Either as a festival item, or as a rare prize, how about some containers, backpacks, sacks, haversacks, harnesses, etc., that can only be worn by Gor'Togs and carry significantly more (by significant, I mean more than just another pebble, an amount that's worth the effort).

I'm just kind of tired of our size only coming up when someone wants to penalize us.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Size Curse 03/11/2008 11:29 AM CDT
>>So why can't we get some advantages for it (and if you say our stamina/strength bonus is that, I kill you, I kill you ded)? Either as a festival item, or as a rare prize, how about some containers, backpacks, sacks, haversacks, harnesses, etc., that can only be worn by Gor'Togs and carry significantly more

I really like this idea, Caraamon. It would make sense to have a tog backpack (maybe only found in P5) that can carry more and only worn by a tog. [Just playing devil's advocate] Would the flip-side of the coin be that small races, like gnomes, be required to wear tiny gnome backpacks and therefore penalize them more?

I'm still heavily into the idea of special tog weapons (maybe armor?) that anyone can use but togs can use them to their full potential-- just like dwarves with their dwarven axes.

Just to add to your idea, what about the tog race being allowed to sling an extra strapped-weapon over their shoulder or wear more pouches along our massive belt line-- more body volume means more area to wear things.

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: Size Curse 03/11/2008 11:57 AM CDT
Does the ogre armor fit other races? I know its not real good, but maybe some smarter ogres will start wearing better armor that only 'Togs can wear. (And other critters may wear other race specific armor)

mfberg
Re: Size Curse 03/11/2008 02:16 PM CDT
>>Would the flip-side of the coin be that small races, like gnomes, be required to wear tiny gnome backpacks and therefore penalize them more?

Okay, without addressing the specifics, as I almost never play any of the small races and have no interest, I am pro just about anything that is logical and balanced, that takes away from the feeling that the different races are just humans with different stat modifiers.

If I had my way, and I will since some day I will rule the world, I would have almost all equipment be like the shard racial armors. You'd pay based on racial size and there would be limited cross-wearing. But most people I'm sure would hate this.

Not only would this make forging armor and weapons a LOT more interesting (nitch markets for specific sized equipment!), it would offset some of the novice problems of playing small races.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Size Curse 03/11/2008 02:29 PM CDT
I've always thought it illogical that Nobby Gnome could reach all of the same shelves that Tommy Tog could. But I didn't say anything before, due to playability issues.

Perhaps there could be shops or some other buildings with very high shelves and hooks that a tog could reach easily- but a member of one of the smaller races would have to use some kind of stepping stool or even ladder.

The mind behind...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Size Curse 03/11/2008 03:41 PM CDT
If you really wanted to go down the size road, togs would be 10 times as easy to hit with an arrow as a gnome. I agree that charging more for cloaks and armor is lame, but let's not make this worse by half-assing more size restrictions.
Re: Size Curse 03/12/2008 02:05 AM CDT
>I've always thought it illogical that Nobby Gnome could reach all of the same shelves that Tommy Tog could. But I didn't say anything before, due to playability issues.

silly, Nobby just has to work harder at it, climb up some shelves, stand on a desk, flying leap to the top shelf ;p

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Size Curse 03/12/2008 09:59 AM CDT
So Gnomes and Halflings should get some pretty crazy climbing experience while on shoplifting runs?

I'm liking this.
Re: Size Curse 03/12/2008 10:26 AM CDT
hehe. A gor'tog goes into a shop. a gor'tog says "i'm not payin for this" and glares at the shopkeeper. A shopkeeper cowers. A gor'tog walks out with a massive broadaxe.

::hums::

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>