History 07/04/2005 02:07 AM CDT
Hey Ardun maybe you can help us out with this. Are we ever going to get a history book for Gor'Togs? I mean we're sidenotes in a lot of books (many of which don't agree with each other at all) but we don't seem to have one ourselves.

Are we going to have to wait for P5 to find out more?

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: History 07/04/2005 02:40 AM CDT
Not sure if its in a non-premium library, but the library in the Strand Communal Center has: Aunt Olma's Tog Story, which is a Gor'Tog history book.
Re: History 07/04/2005 03:12 AM CDT
I believe that there are some in the works, but I don't know for certain. I'll have to check with some people and find out. If not, I'll see what I can do. History books require a lot, because it is VERY often taken as gospel word for word.

History is something I certainly hope to help flesh out for Togs, but it may not always take book form. ::hums::

~GameMaster Aurdun Smashfoot
Creature Development
Gor'Tog Development Assistant Guy

"Math bad, Ogre SMASH!"

"Remember, just because your bones are broken, doesn't mean they won't stop bullets from hitting me." ~Sarge
Re: History 07/04/2005 03:47 PM CDT
>>Aunt Olma's Tog Story, which is a Gor'Tog history book.

I know and have read that one, but its kind of jumbled and confusing. Doesn't always match what is in other books.

>>History books require a lot, because it is VERY often taken as gospel word for word.

Heh, probably cause a) the character would or b) cause history is often hard to come by in other forms.

Caraamon Majerye,
History Chant 06/08/2006 07:11 PM CDT
I was thinking about how Gor'Togs have no written language of their own, which led me to thinking about how they probably kept their history orally with chants and songs. Which naturally led my obesssiveness to writing one. Here's what came out of that, a chant that I plan to submit to the library and maybe the bard guild. What do you folks think?

We lived in our caves,
in our towns and our tribes.
Unknowing of metal,
the stone was our friend.
Gor'tog we were,
when scale and tail came.

We were chained into slaves,
making cities and food.
Bred like farm animals,
killed, beaten, and whipped.
Gor'tog we were,
when scale and tail ruled.

We were thrown out to die,
to be hungry and cold.
Told freedom we had,
we were needed no more.
Gor'tog we were,
when scale and tail starved.

Again we dug holes,
but freedom was ours.
Traded coins for our work,
we gained praise for our strength.
Gor'tog we were,
when the bearded folk came.

We followed our friends,
to fight for the humans.
The s'kra fell before us,
revenge for past crimes.
Gor'tog we were,
when the bearded folk fought.

The lands were united,
Gor'Togs could be kings.
Crafting rock of an Empire,
again we build roads.
Gor'tog we were,
when peace ruled the land.

The elves renewed war,
and shattered the Empire.
Uthmor was freed,
to lead us to battle.
Gor'tog we were,
when the Empire fell.

Lanival had won,
with oceans of blood.
The realms were split up,
Forfedhdar called home.
Gor'tog we were,
when the Lanival left.

Giants we are,
in the lands of small folk.
Too large and too loud,
our strength is our heart.
Gor'tog we are,
and forever will be.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: History Chant 06/10/2006 03:43 AM CDT
That's pretty cool Caraamon. You have my vote.

-Eeeeeeeeary
Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/15/2006 05:32 PM CDT
I obviously didn't look hard enough but where can I find in-game library books on Gor'Tog history and culture? I can't seem to find any in Asemath and to its detriment I can't find any in the Observatory outside the east gate. I found the language and grammar books, but I want history and culture, too! Any and all locations would be much appreciated.
Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/15/2006 06:40 PM CDT
I'll let the others point you in the right direction of the existing ones, but I should mention that it is a very big priority of mine to have more books about culure and history out as soon as I am able.

http://gmaurdun.livejournal.com/
Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/15/2006 08:57 PM CDT
I just visited Caraamon's sight which was very entertaining and informative. I imagine his books section covers most if not all of what is out there. It'll be fun to find those books he listed in game. For some reason I remember Aunt Olga's being in the Crossing...maybe it moved?
Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/16/2006 02:07 AM CDT
u think aunt olgas is still in the premie library, but it should really be moved to one accessible to all.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/16/2006 02:57 AM CDT
>>I just visited Caraamon's sight which was very entertaining and informative. I imagine his books section covers most if not all of what is out there. It'll be fun to find those books he listed in game. For some reason I remember Aunt Olga's being in the Crossing...maybe it moved?

I feel so warm and special!

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/16/2006 03:18 AM CDT
I'll take a peek at Aunt Olga's location when I've got some sleep under my belt.

Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/16/2006 04:42 AM CDT
Is there a list of Gor'Tog books that are housed exclusively in premie libraries? I don't want to spend time looking for books I can never gain access to.

Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/16/2006 03:20 PM CDT
Aunt Olga's is only housed in the Premium library in the Crossing clubhouse, unless it also is found somewhere on the islands. I hit every mainland library for my site, and it was the only one I found it at.

C'est la vie. At least for now......

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/16/2006 06:46 PM CDT
I confirmed its location this morning, yeah. I'm working on moving it back.

Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/18/2006 04:07 AM CDT
Righteous, thank you. =)
Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/19/2006 12:18 AM CDT
Good and bad news on Olma's.

Bad News - Its not moving from the Premie Club to Aesmeth
Good News - It can now be found in 4 locations
Evil News - I'm not telling you the other 3 :-)

Re: Gor'Tog Culture and History 09/19/2006 01:48 AM CDT
I now the other, neener neener neener, at least I think. Nice roomy library you Tog's gotcha yaself!

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Gor'Tog History 01/16/2010 10:58 AM CST
I was reading the paper the other day and saw a bit on the Maori people, and how they kept their history until a written language was brought in by the English.

How did we keep our histories before these little people showed us how to write? Pictographs? Tales? Tattoos?

I like the last one, I can see a little toggler being brought into the tribes cave and being shown the preserved tattooed and scarred skins of the Gor'Tog Chiefs from ages ago.

mfberg
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/16/2010 02:17 PM CST
Humm....

Being that the Togs were orcs, I would think there would have been some sort of shaman or medicine man who would be the source of most the historical tales. Orc's IIRC are roughly organized into clans and tribes, so it stands to reason there would be a caste in that clan who's job it was to remember the past deeds or events of the clan.

But one might also wonder if the pre-toggish orcs even cared about keeping track of history before they were civilized by the S'Kra and Dwarves.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/16/2010 04:10 PM CST
<<Being that the Togs were orcs>>

No, no. That was trolls. Or was it trees?

GM Jaedren
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/16/2010 04:12 PM CST
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/aboutus.html

Is caraamon page on Tog and that best i have seen.
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/17/2010 10:33 AM CST
>>Being that the Togs were orcs

>>No, no. That was trolls. Or was it trees?

Damn, Jaedren you caught me on that one. My bad, its been forever since I read "The History of Muspar'i" so I re-read on the wiki. Grabbed a quote for Tog players who might not have read it.

"In the forests surrounding their new home (its name lost to the dust of time), the S'Kra Mur found a type of Troll wandering about. Taking the Troll people in, they gave them rudimentary teachings and trained them in manual tasks. Calling them the Gor'togs, the S'Kra Mur bred them into workers. Though one could toss zh'al'hhm at the S'Kra for our supposed evil here, the truth is that we took the Gor'Tog and turned them from unintelligent beasts into a noble race of builders and workers, with devotion to the tasks they set themselves to. We taught them communication and writing, building and storytelling. It was due to those efforts that what was merely a group of Trolls became one of the Seven Races."

So yeah , I dont think there was much in the way of communication and writing. Maybe grunts and symbols?

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/17/2010 11:25 AM CST
keep in mind though, that the viewpoint presented in Muspar'i is going to be the S'Kra viewpoint. There is an entirely different viewpoint presented by the Dwarves where they view the togs as being created by kertigen sort of as a "tree" to shield the dwarves.

I suppose one of these days the togs are going to have to come up with their own creation story.

One of the problems here is that none of the gods are specifically called the "patron" of the Togs <the way hav'roth is for s'kra , truffenyi for humans, glythtide for olvi, kertigen for dwarves, meraud for elotheans>. So... its sort of a dilemna.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/24/2010 08:38 PM CST
>Is caraamon page on Tog and that best i have seen.

Awwww... I feel warm an fuzzy..... uh, doctor?

The history of Gor'Togs is pretty much non-existant, unfortunately, and what we have is almost always told from other race's perspective. For many years I've been working on a book (I'm lazy, so sue me) that fits MY perspective of Gor'Togs, that I plan to toss at the GMs.

Doubly unfortunately, I'm not even sure we have a Gor'Tog GM, now that Aurdun is gone, and Rodrigo hasn't been seen in ... a while.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/25/2010 10:21 AM CST
Roderigo still lives. As well as others that carry a tog torch.

GM Jaedren
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/25/2010 10:29 AM CST
The two togs working for housing still around? Those guys were funny.

* SPLAT! * You destroy the annoying thing!
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/31/2010 11:44 PM CST
I know this is the Gor'Tog area. However in response to the suggestion that different races had different Gods you didn't seem to list them all. What of Elves?

I know that the Rakash and the Prydaen each have their own Gods system separate from the Thirteen.

However what about the Gnomes and Kaldar (Gorbesh), I am guessing that they have Albarian Gods.

In another area:
What is up with the Gor'Tog dismantle, anyone can do it with a enough strength. I am somewhat annoyed.

Of course I am also annoyed I don't think the S'Kra Mur have one. I know the Elves and the Halflings (Olvi) have none.

Alright, be strong Gor'Togs!

- GM Dartenian
Re: Gor'Tog History 01/31/2010 11:53 PM CST
<<However what about the Gnomes and Kaldar (Gorbesh), I am guessing that they have Albarian Gods.>>

there is a book in the base of the tower of shard <library> having to do with the gorbesh religion. good reading.

as for Togs, there is need for a patron god among the 13. the rest of the original 7 each have a patron, well, with the exception of Elves, but some of the 13 seem rather Elven in patronage.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Gor'Tog History 02/01/2010 12:28 AM CST
I believe Faenella is technically the patron god of Elves, but the Elven creation stories are not god-oriented at all, so it's a bit moot.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
Re: Gor'Tog History 02/01/2010 01:57 AM CST
Goddess of the inland (fresh) waters, Lemicus is also the protector of lost sailors and the creator of the lodestone. Lemicus is patron of libraries and the life of the ocean. She is an excellent dancer, and her laughter is what causes the winds to turn favorable for sea-bound merchants. Lemicus is often attended by several merfolk -- half fish, half human -- who spend hours combing her long hair and creating sea foam. She is the patron of dancers, librarians, Elves, and the wives of sailors.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Re: Gor'Tog History 02/01/2010 01:58 AM CST
I swear Faenella is referenced the same way somewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was both though.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
Re: Gor'Tog History 02/03/2010 05:26 PM CST
Thank you for replying to the somewhat elvish swing this Gor'Tog folder has gone. However to rerail it (or keep it on the course).

Does any of the Gor'Tog players have a feel for what they'd like to see for the Gor'Togs. I was somewhat disappointed, perhaps I am wrong but I didn't really see anything Gor'Togish (is that the correct way of something related to the Gor'Togs) as a goal for the 2010 year.

As a related note:

IC: Happy New Year,

It has been 397 years, 0 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
It is the 1st month of Akroeg the Ram in the year of the Emerald Dolphin.
(:= =:)

- GM Dartenian