Gnomic Theology 02/09/2012 06:48 AM CST
So I just started playing a gnome, and have been doing all sorts of research. This included delving into the race folders that I never read. Well, while digging through the Kaldar folder in search of the Gorbesh connection, I came across Raesh's post regarding the Kaldaran take on The Thirteen.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Races%20of%20DragonRealms/Kaldar%20-%20The%20Korner/view/1177

Followed by the wonderful question:
>>One question though, how does all this relate to Gnomes? Gnomes converted from their various belief systems to the Gorbesh pantheon and now live in the lands of the Thirteen like the Kaldar. Having their culture be so intertwined with the Gorbesh/Kaldar through the years, would their views on the Thirteen be more similar to the Kaldaran view or the Kermorian view?

I was just hoping to get the gnomic champion to weigh in on this. Please?

- A new gnome and loving it -
Re: Gnomic Theology 02/09/2012 07:56 AM CST
pretty much you can go with whatever your character feels comfortable with.

Game mechanics dictate that gnomes can only gain favor with the 39. <although both Rakash and Prydaen have a choice of their own gods or the 39>. Whether a gnome accepts the Kaldar "version" of the 13 <I didn't see writeups on all 39, only the major 13> -- or the traditional Kermorian viewpoint would probably have to do with how much and who that particular gnome has interacted with, their own family, etc.

However, my gnome still will occasionally make an oath involving Spangklud! Particularly when trying to figure out a new gadget!

<Gizzbolf-the rabbit, Spangklud, the gremlin, and Krigglin - the beaver were revered by the gnomes pre-gorbesh. but little beyond that has been added to game lore.>

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Gnomic Theology 02/09/2012 08:57 AM CST
>>I didn't see writeups on all 39, only the major 13>

Many of the Kaldar adopted worship of the 13, but they put their own spin on it. You don't see a write-up because the Kaldar traditionally only acknowledge the primary (neutral) God, with no positive or negative aspects present. They also bias heavily on deity worship according to Kaldaran cultural values.

I would be very interested in getting some info on the Gnome take on it too, though. The Kaldar followed a Gnome prophet, and Kaldaran and Gnome society has some thematic links. I imagine the Gnomes have a more traditional take on the 39.
Re: Gnomic Theology 02/09/2012 09:43 AM CST
>>I would be very interested in getting some info on the Gnome take on it too, though. The Kaldar followed a Gnome prophet, and Kaldaran and Gnome society has some thematic links. I imagine the Gnomes have a more traditional take on the 39.

I'm glad I'm not the only one interested at least. I imagine Gnomes would have a more traditional take too. I'd still be very interested in seeing what the guru has to say. Or if it hasn't really been considered, now is the perfect time.

p.s.: >>although both Rakash and Prydaen have a choice of their own gods or the 39
I know. vvvvv ;)
~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Gnomic Theology 02/09/2012 10:32 AM CST
>>Game mechanics dictate that gnomes can only gain favor with the 39.

As far as Kaldar are concerned, it ain't just game mechanics stopping you. I cannot, however, speak for the Gnomes in this case.

Also, as correctly noted, the Kaldar version only recognizes 13 Gods, not 39. Having the majority of your teachings come from one missionary out to convert a society, plus several hundred years of unguided divergence will do that to a religion.

It is safe to assume that some gnomes would have gone along with that method of worship much as they went along with worship of the Ten.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Gnomic Theology 02/09/2012 10:42 AM CST
>>It is safe to assume that some gnomes would have gone along with that method of worship much as they went along with worship of the Ten.

Thank you for a timely reply, Raesh. I'd love to have Dart's take on this too, but I think I actually prefer him busily finishing up combat. Gnomic lore will wait that long.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Gnomic Theology 02/13/2012 07:24 PM CST
Who cares about the 13 or the 10, we want info on Gizzbolf the Gnomish god of slaughter and his blood drenched rabbit!

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"