Prev_page Previous 1
Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 09:13 AM CDT
Hey guys,

I'm very happy to be helping to take care of Elves. I have a lot of love for the race, and a lot of ideas floating around.

Like Persida, though I'm not quite ready to tip my hand on the ideas I've got floating around in my head, but I would adore to hear your feedback on things you'd like to see for Elves.

We've got a fairly fleshed out lore and history going on, but there may be things you'd like to see. What are they?

And you know what I would like to see? Even though we don't have a support system for it, I'd like to see more Elves take up clans for themselves. When I do see players aligning themselves with an Elven Clan, it's generally Mountain Elf. And that's totally cool -- but we have a handful of clans that it seems no one likes or wants to belong to. Any thoughts on why this is?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Basim.

~Evike
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 09:44 AM CDT
Everyone wants to be Mountain because they're the best clan, obviously. =P

I think they have the most developed lore out of the clans and they definitely have the most active and well known GMPCs attached to that clan. That's not to say that those of us who do play Mountain Elves don't want more (I would LOVE for Elamiri to be a real place to be able to visit one day, for example), but while I've had a couple of encounters with Forest and Sand Elf GMPCs, by far the Mountain ones seem more active and present.

Aside from Elamiri being a real place to go, I've always wanted to be able to truly align my characters with a clan (ie., You see Soandso, a Forest Elf Ranger, or Soandso of the Forest Clan, an Elven Ranger). Also merchants and shops, please! I liked the traditional Elven clothing, but it was all so plain.

Anyways, good luck and get to work =)

~Sendithu's player
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 10:46 AM CDT
Wind elves seem to be fairly well represented. Having a place like horse clan and NPCs and events will always attract players to one affiliation over another. Post titles would be great so fellow players can find like minded RPers or just as conversation starter.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 11:20 AM CDT
Having played most of the clans, I'd say that Snow was one that felt especially underrepresented. Offhand, I can only think of maybe two I met while playing one. I would agree that Mountain and Wind feel to be the best represented. It would also be nice to see affiliation titles, like such and such of ____ Clan.

As for characters not being affiliated, the lack of actual (even vague) information on where all the clans are probably isn't helping. While Celestial/city is something of a clan as well, I suspect many players just don't know about it. On top of this, information in the character manager about subraces would help, let alone the actual ability to pick one and have appearance dictated by that. By the time people start looking at the various races' subgroups, they often look nothing like the group they want to RP. While shifting is available, I don't think it's the best option and it's less available to people truly new to DR.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 12:09 PM CDT
I would think Forest Elves are fairly represented as well. Since Leth Der'iel is near Crossing, but I don't see the fortess as a clan per se.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 12:22 PM CDT
So far, most of what I've seen kind of jives with my own thoughts.

>On top of this, information in the character manager about subraces would help, let alone the actual ability to pick one and have appearance dictated by that. By the time people start looking at the various races' subgroups, they often look nothing like the group they want to RP. While shifting is available, I don't think it's the best option and it's less available to people truly new to DR.

Are you familiar at all with Gemstone's character manager? They do have something similar to this, but I'm not sure how feasible it is to add it in to ours as they have a different set up with the visual character manager and we don't. Adding more information though is totally something I can look in to, because I can see it being useful not just for Elves, but for all races with clans/sub-sects.

~Evike
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 12:46 PM CDT
I'm not familiar with the GS CM but, even if the options themselves can't be added, maybe optional information could be added instead?

It might also be interesting to see more developed for Celestial/city Elves since, whether by default or by choice, I'd guess the majority of the game's Elves fall into that group. My current main character wouldn't really consider herself one, but as an Elf from the islands there's not much else she could be.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 12:47 PM CDT
I have yet to meet any other River Elves -- but I find it to be an incredibly interesting background and lends an almost literal "fish out of water" type background to draw on.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 12:54 PM CDT
PUNS!
What do elves have to learn before they can read? The elfabet.

I suspect people tend to like mountain elves because they're the most unique of the Clans. In a world where the PCs are the unique adventurers that walk among the peasants, you're not drawn in by community and conformity. If you're looking to place an identify on your character, you want to be that cunning, devious, all-powerful being that wins at all costs; not some nomadic clan or one that hides off in the trees.

I want my PC to be exciting and edgy. That's the kind of image of my PC that I want in my head.

Clans as a collective help to create a large atmosphere within the game, even if people do exactly align themselves with them. Without having all these other clans, there's no base to work your ideals. There's no setting. So any further development that you can place into the other clans I think would be beneficial to the entire race, and I'd like to encourage that..

Scanning through Elanthipedia, sand, snow, and celestial elves seem rather non-descript. Sand and snow live in their particular biomes. Those biomes are harsh. That somewhat fails to create a rich atmosphere. And tbqh, I'm really unsure what a celestial elf is. I'm no racial expert (I can name three off the top of my head who are far more versed than me), but I do think this kind of lore really adds to the value of the game.

Nikpack

MOAR PUNS! If you owned 11 elves, and another one came along, what would he be? A twelf.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 01:24 PM CDT
The only Elf I've ever played was a Sand Elf, but I killed him.

It was for the greater good, trust me.

* Zadraes was just swallowed out of existence by Elanthia.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 01:40 PM CDT
The only player I ever encountered that identified her elf as a Snow elf, was Jenealle. I dunno about an NPC's but she was/is the only one I ever knew.

as a suggestion, perhaps something could be thrown in the treasure system or something, wherein short snippets of lore could be introduced (maybe a paragraph or two at most in length). perhaps you find a small book or a note that tells you a bit about X elf clan, or a particular person within X elf clan, or whatever the case might be, but outside of what can currently be found in the books of the libraries. Small lore flavorings I suppose. Perhaps these could be put in the loot of non-combat stuff as well, like perhaps, maybe when foraging you have a chance to find these snippets along with whatever you foraged for. Maybe while mining, you knock an artifact out of the wall that has some lore attached to it.

I think before we start talking about adding options in to the CM, we should at least better define what some of those options are, and why someone would want to choose it. From the start of this thread so far though, it seems like we're heading that way already, which is great. I hope it shapes up nicely.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 01:56 PM CDT
Nikpack, Celestial Elves probably refer mostly to Ilithian Elves that don't have a clan. More generally, they'd be any Elf that doesn't have a real clan, but they do have some of their own traditions and clothing, etc.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 01:57 PM CDT
>as a suggestion, perhaps something could be thrown in the treasure system or something, wherein short snippets of lore could be introduced (maybe a paragraph or two at most in length). perhaps you find a small book or a note that tells you a bit about X elf clan, or a particular person within X elf clan, or whatever the case might be, but outside of what can currently be found in the books of the libraries. Small lore flavorings I suppose. Perhaps these could be put in the loot of non-combat stuff as well, like perhaps, maybe when foraging you have a chance to find these snippets along with whatever you foraged for. Maybe while mining, you knock an artifact out of the wall that has some lore attached to it.

Okay, in this vein of thought what kind of things would you like to see about the clans that don't exist already? I feel we already have a decent base to work from, so I want to hear from you guys what you think could be built upon.

~Evike
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 02:22 PM CDT
I'd really like the ability to officially join a clan (the way Elotheans can join Elothean houses).

I would like to have more lore for the clans, especially the locations where the clans have traditionally been active. I'd like to see more information about the customs and beliefs of Elves in general and the clans in particular.

Lastly, I would like to see more clan-themed items that aren't for weddings (ideally not with Ilithic taps).

>>DR-Evike: When I do see players aligning themselves with an Elven Clan, it's generally Mountain Elf. And that's totally cool -- but we have a handful of clans that it seems no one likes or wants to belong to. Any thoughts on why this is?

My character is a Celestial Elf of Snow Elf descent. I once rolled a Sand Elf Trader, but I lost interest in the guild. I think it's a neat and very underrepresented clan, however.

As Nikpack said, I think most of the people who play Mountain Elves chose that clan because it is edgy and intriguing.

It also has the most known history, which makes it easier for role-players who want to work clan affiliation into their back-stories. If you wanted to be a Snow Elf, for example, you don't even have a clear source about where your clan is from.

>>Nikpack: And tbqh, I'm really unsure what a celestial elf is. I'm no racial expert (I can name three off the top of my head who are far more versed than me), but I do think this kind of lore really adds to the value of the game.

I see Celestial Elves as the Elves of no clan, so there is no typical appearance or location. Most of the Elven adventurers are probably Celestial even if their players aren't familiar with the term. However, The Elven Folk says that they have a leader, which implies that they have some political structure. I would like to know more about that.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 03:29 PM CDT
It would be nice to have clear-cut descriptions of the appearances of the various clans as well. Some are very well laid out and others are much more vague.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/27/2013 08:29 PM CDT
As mentioned else where, I'd like to be able to part of a sub-race, and it would be so much COOLER if I'd also be able to have it in that first line of info and corresponding look.

Not that I think that latter part should just be handed out mind you, I think it should be earned and probably not just mechanically (go through a quest or join the... after doing a few deeds (tasks) or what not).

While I have meet many different PCs of various groups, sometimes I think the GM game world hasn't been very well pushed besides from the Mountain Elf side of things.

The other thing is, I'm more into some (or more) some small less huge picture in meaning, but still common day outings and story pushing.

Whenever Mountain Elf stuff seems involved you have someone like Morganae or her Captain or her Son and or Uwresari. While all of those things were interesting, and I was glad to be involved, even been given an insultory pet name (it was very cute). For me it these things tend to have an well they are GMPCs and then you all are PCs, and there needs to be separation (maybe that was just my feel, others may disagree).

Also while we have a lot of history, some of it feels like oh, well this game has been around for 16 years, and ALOT of it has been around for just as long. It smells old.

Finally this:
>Elves are aloof and mysterious, much like the natural forces they consider themselves to be the living extensions of. Quick-witted and light on their toes, there are very few Elves who don't have a trace of mischief -- whether benign or otherwise -- sparkling behind their eyes. Many older Elves genuinely dislike Humans for their past tendencies to upset the schemes of the Elven peoples and, indeed, the Human race's shorter lifespan no doubt adds friction to the relationship between the races. Where Elves can lay down plans that span decades, Humans rarely have the patience for such gradual progress. Their frustration is both amusing and annoying to the Elves.

Note: emphasizes added by this author.

To me it doesn't really describe an elf, Elves to me are just as varied as any other race. Far more important to an elf is patience, and elegance, taking the time and care to make sure they have a presence and prestige in how they carry themselves, what they carry, and those they care for.

Finally what about a mission to find that River Elf a Boat, to shut him up. Come on already, and then he can ferry everyone around for our good deed of giving him a boat. For a price, come on.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/28/2013 12:31 AM CDT
My wishes are similar to those of others, but I'm going to list them here anyway so you have an idea of what is popular. This is in order of importance to me.

- Appearance. More info in the CG about what elves of the clans look like. Ideally options for choosing clan in the CG itself.

- Naming guide. Have I mentioned I always wanted one of these in the CG too? As much as I love to look at the random options now just for giggles.

- Clan Affiliation. Particularly: Soandso of Zoluren, a Forest Elf. Though I'd accept Soandso of the Forest Elves, an Elf. The latter is just clunkier.

- Clan Locations. More lore on the locations of the clans. If you're an elf from X place, what clan are you likely to be?

- Celestial Elves. More about what the heck these really are.

Finally, for what it's worth, I think people would play more of the non-Mountain clan if there were more events that weren't centered around, well, cities. I first mean that Muspar'i and Horse Clan are just not hotbeds of activity. But also, ALL events I can think of are "let's meet in X city". There are no tribal meetings, dances, musical performances, etc.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/28/2013 12:40 AM CDT
I was always basically under the impression that Celestial elves were basically elves of any clan who basically don't follow the clan's traditions anymore and just kind of live in mixed-race, non-elven cities or towns like everyone else.

- Starlear -
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/28/2013 02:06 AM CDT
<I was always basically under the impression that Celestial elves were basically elves of any clan who basically don't follow the clan's traditions anymore and just kind of live in mixed-race, non-elven cities or towns like everyone else.>

It would seem that way, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, this idea jives a little oddly with the fact that Celestial Elves supposedly have a leader (why? what are his duties and responsibilities, exactly?) not to mention quite specific and elaborate marriage rituals (how did a diffuse, non-centralized catch-all elven group spontaneously adopt these practices universally?)

Also, I'd like to echo all of THIS:

<- Appearance. More info in the CG about what elves of the clans look like. Ideally options for choosing clan in the CG itself.

It might be overwhelming or cumbersome for a new player, but yes. I think it should be an option, but not a requirement to choose a clan. Maybe an option to choose later, as well?

<- Naming guide. Have I mentioned I always wanted one of these in the CG too? As much as I love to look at the random options now just for giggles.

This would be helpful. It was only after creating my character and playing for years did I stumble across some lore that the th sound in my character's name doesn't actually occur in Ilithic. Like, at all. Whoops.

<- Clan Affiliation. Particularly: Soandso of Zoluren, a Forest Elf. Though I'd accept Soandso of the Forest Elves, an Elf. The latter is just clunkier.

This would be neat, though concerning the first example, someone who is not as familiar with elves, such as members of other races, might not to be able to tell the difference between a forest elf and a wind elf just by looking at them. (Honestly, titles have always kind of confused me for this reason - which is why they should remain optional; in other words, I'd like to be able to APPEAR to be just "an Elf," and not be forced to choose "forest" or "snow", etc.) In terms of the second option, it could be something like: Soandso of the Forest Clan, an Elf.

<- Clan Locations. More lore on the locations of the clans. If you're an elf from X place, what clan are you likely to be?

<- Celestial Elves. More about what the heck these really are.

Also, it would be cool to have:

- Clan specific racial titles, denoting societal role, occupation, marriage status, parental status, etc.

- More detailed information about clan locations, politics, and interactions. My character plays an elf from near Leth Deriel who is of mixed parentage - his mother was a defector from Mountain Clan but his father is a Forest Elf. He considers himself to be more Forest Elf then anything because he spent almost his entire life in the Endrus. Plausible? I don't really know, but I'm running with it.

- Is Ilithic a common language for all clans? If so, is that plausible, given the geographic history of all the clans? Why is it called Ilithic, anyway?

- What is the forest-elf community and habitat like, OUTSIDE of Leth Deriel? I know they're just supposed to kind of blend into the trees...but really, what goes on out there? Are there villages, towns, communities? Or just thousands of solitary tree-houses all over the place? Obviously other clans need more detail on community structures, too.

- Official, language-specific clan names, perhaps? Like, do forest elves call themselves "Forest Elves"? Would a guy from northern Alaska call himself a "Snow Human"? Maybe he would in his native language? I don't know. Just a thought.

Anyway, I'm psyched to see elves getting some more attention and that GM's are thinking about them. As they are such a popular choice for characters and are so numerous in the realms, they need some extra-robust lore as a platform for RP.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/28/2013 03:02 AM CDT
< Clan Affiliation. Particularly: Soandso of Zoluren, a Forest Elf.

I prefer this over an affiliation title. The other seems redundant and unnecessary.

Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/28/2013 11:27 AM CDT
>>Is Ilithic a common language for all clans? If so, is that plausible, given the geographic history of all the clans? Why is it called Ilithic, anyway?

1- Clearly it is, since all Elves speak it.

2- Yes. Keep in mind Elves live a very long time and Elanthia has the capacity for magical long-distance communication instantly. There's no reason the language would have a great geographic divergence, the same as English is actually becoming more standardized across the world as communication has gotten more efficient. Also consider a language like Chinese, where the same written symbols are used to communicate the same messages by people whose spoken version of the language might be heavily influenced by geography.

3- Probably a bastardization of the Haakish (Dwarven) word for Elf: Liitha. Given that most names for things tend to have been given by humans, and dwarves were closer to humans than elves were in the past, humans most likely borrowed that word and it got mangled over time into Ilithi since it was easier on their tongue or some such.

Edit: Reposted because grammar nazis.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/28/2013 01:03 PM CDT
>>Aleph-One: Naming guide. Have I mentioned I always wanted one of these in the CG too? As much as I love to look at the random options now just for giggles.

This would be great. In the meantime, I have been using the Ilithic dictionary ("Isharon" is Ilithic for "hope") and the racial name generator, which generates random names based on rules from the racial dictionaries.

http://www.gridaksma.com/tsarenzi/words.html

>>Nebula656: Clan specific racial titles, denoting societal role, occupation, marriage status, parental status, etc.

While I would like to see clan-based affiliation titles, but for playability reasons I would avoid using the Ilithic language in them. I know that we already have some racial-language titles, and I am not going to rehash that discussion, but a lot of players find them immersion-breaking.

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/28/2013 02:23 PM CDT

I would really love to have more clan information out there, as I have always been hesitant to call myself anything other than an Elf without having a more complete back story. I even made sure to buy some clothing and items from the various clans to wear once I figured out exactly where my Elf came from. :)

The idea about having it in our look would also be wonderful.

I haven't looked at our dictionary since my last alteration, but I remember at the time it seemed a bit lacking and really old. Is there anything we can do to update it?
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/28/2013 04:42 PM CDT
Think some ilithic pre-titles would be possible as well? Not sure i would use it (dern Master Title) but i cringe every time i type TITLE PRE LIST RACIAL and see nothin.

Thanks!

Rehlyn
Silent Guardian
Sand Elf

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/30/2013 04:32 PM CDT
I would like to see some kind of development for Bone Elves... Aside from a shamans rattle. :p At least there are other clans/cities out there to travel to.

Beast Elec Drister

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
―Jayne Cobb

MM1-USN 1999-present
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/30/2013 05:18 PM CDT
There are still plenty of other clans out there without cities/villages. That said, I'd think having a lot of visibly Bone Elf items and/or a city that could be visited somewhat defeats the purpose of them 'looking like any other Elf' and not wanting to stand out.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/30/2013 06:07 PM CDT
I wasn't sure how to address this. Because I wasn't sure if ... well anyway.

Bone Elves. Are they real? Eh. They are real in the sense that if you believe in something hard enough it will exist.

Bone Elf stuff (clothing, books on rituals) are really more either in the line of propaganda or just "Well, they are kind of a dark clan so let's just make some stuff up and throw it in a book/shop." (I mean really, the stuff in A Cultured Attire in the HE Spider, if I was a self-respecting sorcery-y Bone Elf would I wear ripped tights and stuff from Hot Topic?)

~Evike
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/30/2013 06:28 PM CDT

>They are real in the sense that if you believe in something hard enough it will exist.

Should I click my heels three times first?
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/30/2013 06:29 PM CDT
>Should I click my heels three times first?

Let me know after you've killed a witch.

~Evike
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 08/31/2013 01:44 AM CDT
Go after Keishalae, I dare you.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/02/2013 12:37 PM CDT
I wasn't asking for more Bone Elf fluff... That would be a bit counterproductive to the whole blending in thing. I would just like some kind of development. We have necros now... that's part of their storyline right there. It was a simple request. That's all.

Shadow's Hand Elec Drister

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
―Jayne Cobb

MM1-USN 1999-present
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/03/2013 10:49 PM CDT
I know this has come up before. I've talked to others with the same issue.

Sometimes a player might be attracted to a certain clan for lore reasons, but that clan's physical or mental attributes don't fit what the player has in mind for their character.

As an example, it's reasonable for a Snow Elf from the frozen north to be pale skinned and blonde. And a certain player might like the idea of the whole arctic, snowy tundra thing. But they wanted (and chose) their elf to have green eyes or red hair or tanned skin or maybe all those things. Their character doesn't really look anything like a Snow Elf, so that clan doesn't seem like a good match even if the player likes that clan best. Same thing with temperament. Snow Elves aren't supposed to speak much with foreigners and will have disdain for other elf clans. That might have a few RP possibilities, but it might just get in the way a lot of the time. The more detailed a clan is about how its members look and think and act, the more restrictive that clan becomes.

I suppose one could always say the character is an unusual example of their clan, not looking or acting anything like how the clan is defined. But how far can one stray from the established game lore yet still claim to be a part of it? I suppose if none of the clans fit your character ideas, you could even claim your elf is from some long forgotten or previously unknown clan, maybe Cloud Elves or something. No one could argue with your hair or eye color or temperament choices then. But now you're way out on your own, and nothing in game will ever support your choice.

Maybe have a looser focus on the physical and personality traits of the various clans and a tighter focus on general things like location, origin, history, customs, leaders, enemies, alliances, myths, etc?

>>Clan Affiliation. Particularly: Soandso of Zoluren, a Forest Elf.

This title approach looks like a very elegant solution.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/04/2013 12:20 AM CDT
If anything, I feel the opposite and would prefer to see more specific information on how clans look. I can see allowance for overlap, particularly since many characters seem to have parents of different clans. That said, I think it's more interesting for the clans to have real differences in appearances, culture, personality traits, and so on.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/04/2013 12:32 AM CDT
Here's the thing, I can say "X clan has Y hair and B eyes, generally." as much as I want, but it's only ever going to be a guideline because I am absolutely not going to dictate that much in depth role play to people. Its personalization of your character. Can I say "Ok, well -- Snow Elves are predominantly blonde with light colored eyes and fair to pale skin." but I am 100% ok if someone without those traits wants to identify as that clan. Why? I imagine (with Mountain Elves being a larger percentage of the exception to this) that Elves who marry other Elves intermarry within clans and I'd expect this from the families of adventurers (you guys) and the adventurers themselves, because you're out there in the world slaying rats and talking to dragons and whatever. Also it should be noted that sometimes books are biased in favor of the author. A good example of this is the book Elothean Studies. It says right at the top "[The following accounting was entirely written by the great Dragon Priest Scholar Miele. This accounting is neither sanctioned nor acknowledged by Elotheans, but is the closest to a history that anyone has ever extracted from the clandestine race.] "

So, tl;dr - guidelines are fine as far as looks and what not, but they aren't ever going to ever be a hard rule.*

~Evike
* I reserve the right to make small exceptions to this rule.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/04/2013 12:49 AM CDT
I'm not advocating for every clan to have only one look ever. I would like to see less of "they look like any other Elf. I do think that having a general idea of "this is how X clan typically looks" is useful.

At the same time, I think it could be interesting to see why a character doesn't look like the rest of his or her clan and how it affected the character.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/04/2013 03:41 AM CDT
Personally, I don't see how "Elves are mysterious, insular, and close-mouthed" differ between clans in this game, and Elven mythos in general in fantasy settings in general. That's pretty much universal.

>interesting to see why a character doesn't look like the rest of his or her clan and how it affected the character.

Rule #1. We're adventurers. By definition practically, we're not "normal" representatives of the background culture, let alone a particular sub-culture of the background culture. Otherwise, we'd be back home on the farm, village, or what-not.

That gives a lot of space to handwave physical differences.

Unless of course, you're being a Prydaen claiming to be a Moon Elf/Half-dragon vampire thing. :)

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/04/2013 04:01 AM CDT
On the flipside, it could also be argued that leaving the home village to become a world-renown adventurer won't change one's hair, eye, skin and other physical features so that they no longer resemble the clan back home. But it's not a big deal. As Evike pointed out, the emphasis is on playability instead of rigid guidelines.

I do completely agree that the different looks make the clans more interesting. I've just known of some people in the past who avoided some clans because they didn't feel their character fit a certain look very well. I'm sure it's not a huge reason some clans aren't as popular, but it does happen. I just thought I'd toss it out there since Evike was asking for some possible reasons for it in the OP.

>>Clan Affiliation. Particularly: Soandso of Zoluren, a Forest Elf.

I thought this title idea idea was excellent. Did it seem like the above approach might be a possibility? It looks like that is the best way to do it to avoid something contorted like:

>>Soandso of the Forest Elves, an Elf.
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/04/2013 01:46 PM CDT
I prefer more development on textiles and cultural items than the clans themselves. Because the clans can evolve over time.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 09/05/2013 07:14 PM CDT
>>Nikpack: And tbqh, I'm really unsure what a celestial elf is. I'm no racial expert (I can name three off the top of my head who are far more versed than me), but I do think this kind of lore really adds to the value of the game.

There is some additional description of the Celestial Elves in Marriage Among the Elves. Its primary focus is, of course, the marriage rituals, but it does give some insight into their outlook on the world.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Marriage_Among_the_Elves,_Volume_9_(book)

Re: Elves - no clever pun title because we're better than that. 10/31/2015 07:25 AM CDT
Post 1125, evike saying they are not. :(

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Prev_page Previous 1