how to translate 06/17/2013 01:58 PM CDT
So, occasionally I wonder how Danoryiel's last name would be in Elvish that would then translate to common as it appears. I've tried searching for the component parts of his name but can only find one in the dictionaries available.

His last name is Shadowsboon (yes, not really all that imaginative, but hey, I made him over 10 years ago :P) and breaking it down to Shadow(s) and boon, the only word I can find is n. emanto - gift.

The closest words I can find for shadow(s) is maybe Gau - night or possibly n. Ce - smoke as the word shadow isn't in the dictionary available.

Now the next part is how would it be phrased in elvish? Would it be something like Gift of Night/Smoke/Shadow or would it follow a more direct route i.e. Night/Smoke/Shadow Gift.

just curious mostly, if the language guru's could chime in how it might appear that'd be great.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: how to translate 06/18/2013 05:10 PM CDT
Currently, the language guru (Bartlebee) is out on LOA. I'll ask around with our current staff and see if someone else has a firm grasp on how Ilithic works. :)

---
NaOH+HI
Re: how to translate 06/19/2013 11:03 AM CDT
At this time, there doesn't seem to be anyone on staff comfortable enough with Ilithic to provide a solid translation. I'm sorry!

---
NaOH+HI
Re: how to translate 06/19/2013 03:28 PM CDT
That's alright, thanks for looking into it though. It was just an occasional curiosity anyways. I'll ask again in a couple years maybe, if I remember. :)

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: how to translate 07/03/2013 04:56 PM CDT
I know this is almost a month old, but I know you haven't gotten an answer, so I figured I'd take a stab at it.

I would translate Shadowsboon as "gift from shadows," "gift from darkness," or "gift from night." The genitive case, which covers origination/agency as well as posession, is defined in the Ilithic language by adding -en for a signular word, or -eni for a plural word, modifying the word for shadows.

emanto undoen (Darkness' Gift)
emanto gauen (Night's Gift)
emanto dumanen (Fog's Gift)
emonto dosten (Gloom's Gift)

Then again, "Shadow" is just the middle-english plural of the word shade. You might ask those "Shade and Water" folks how they say it in Elven, and add -eni.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Re: how to translate 07/03/2013 07:45 PM CDT
>You might ask those "Shade and Water" folks how they say it in Elven, and add -eni.

You'd be asking the wrong people. The Outcasts are not quite an Elven group, not quite a Human group, and still... not quite a S'Kra group.

The people who were uprooted from their land by "Morgane and Corik Inc." and forced to relocate? Yeah, they might have been some random Elven Clan.

What they are now? Nah. One is lead to beleive that the Elven blood they carry now is through unions made amongst desert tribes.

Aww, but it's so cute. You don't really want to bother it, do you?
Re: how to translate 07/03/2013 07:53 PM CDT
>my prior post.

Forgot to add:

That was all from the viewpoint of a Rakash and former Outcast. I might be wrong about the content of Elven-blood amongst the Velakan inhabitants.

Aww, but it's so cute. You don't really want to bother it, do you?
Re: how to translate 07/03/2013 09:07 PM CDT
>I would translate Shadowsboon as "gift from shadows," "gift from darkness," or "gift from night." The genitive case, which covers origination/agency as well as posession, is defined in the Ilithic language by adding -en for a signular word, or -eni for a plural word, modifying the word for shadows.

Thanks for the stab at it. Short of GM (SGM?) Bartlebee coming off his LOA and stumbling upon this thread and giving his interpretation of it, your translation is good enough for me :)

Also, since I really don't know any of the lore behind DR elves, your translation is at the very least a good starting point.

Part of my curiosity and what I wonder, is if there would be a slight breakdown in the translation between the two languages (Ilithic and Common) where the ideas being expressed don't quite match up.

as a quick example, in English, we don't exactly have a single word that expresses the idea of the German word Schadenfreude.

Thanks again though.

Blackguard Danoryiel

Re: how to translate 07/03/2013 11:58 PM CDT
>Part of my curiosity and what I wonder, is if there would be a slight breakdown in the translation between the two languages (Ilithic and Common) where the ideas being expressed don't quite match up.

>as a quick example, in English, we don't exactly have a single word that expresses the idea of the German word Schadenfreude.

>Thanks again though.

Absolutely! Glad to help.

Interestingly enough, in this particular instance, there is an intricacy -- word order determines emphasis. In this particular case, the "normal" word order, it states that this is a boon from the shadows, but if you reverse the words, if I'm reading the grammar document correctly, it changes the context to clarify that this is a gift from the shadows when specifically comparing specifically with something else the shadows happen to give and could just as easily have given instead. In this particular instance, I assume it would imply stabbings.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Re: how to translate 07/04/2013 01:20 AM CDT
>Interestingly enough, in this particular instance, there is an intricacy -- word order determines emphasis. In this particular case, the "normal" word order, it states that this is a boon from the shadows, but if you reverse the words, if I'm reading the grammar document correctly, it changes the context to clarify that this is a gift from the shadows when specifically comparing specifically with something else the shadows happen to give and could just as easily have given instead. In this particular instance, I assume it would imply stabbings.

I'm open to ideas and different variations from all aspects really. It doesn't necessarily have to be the case that because he's a thief the name implies that sort of thing. The family/house name could be something more along the lines of, this family was known for their prowess doing things at night, but not necessarily thief related, therefore they have a gift of shadows, shade, night or what not. Maybe it's something as simple as Dano was born at night time and so he was the 'gift' from the night. Any and all interpretations on the translation are interesting to me.

Blackguard Danoryiel

Re: how to translate 07/05/2013 08:53 PM CDT
Herald42 is smart