Elf clan interrelations 08/14/2012 02:25 AM CDT
I'm trying to flesh out a character's backstory, and I wanted to ask a few questions to see if any of my ideas were plausible within the realm of generally accepted Elanthian elf lore:

1. What's the deal with mountain elves? Do they ever come down from the mountains? Or are they so isolated that it is practically unheard of that they would be seen recently in a place like Shard? Or Leth Deriel? Or Crossing?

2. Is it conceivable for a forest elf to marry or otherwise have relations with a mountain elf? What level of day-to-day interaction do typical, non-adventuring class elves have with members of another clan? Aside from geographical barriers, how would a union of forest-elf/mountain-elf be looked upon socially be either clan? How would a child born of such a union be looked upon?

3. Do elves have any particular birth rituals, in general or specific to the clans?

I have a thousand more questions, but that's all for now. Basically, any help with forest/mountain elf backgrounds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your thoughts!
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/14/2012 03:10 AM CDT
Hey. To try to answer some of your questions:

1) They do leave Elamiri. Queen Morganae was one of the founders of Shard and one of her children ruled in Throne City for a time. Player Mountain Elves seem to like Shard the best.

2) It's likely happened, even outside of PCs. I would expect daily interactions would not really occur, partly because of the geographical issues. Wind Elves and Mountain Elves might be the most likely to intermix, having been one clan previously. I don't know how their children would be viewed - likely the children would be expected to choose one clan and stick with it.

3) I'm not aware of any particular birth rituals. There's tons of info on marriages, but I don't recall anything on childbirth.

If you want help some time, I can try to answer some of your other questions. You can AIM me at CasserahDR.
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/14/2012 05:43 AM CDT

>1. What's the deal with mountain elves? Do they ever come down from the mountains? Or are they so isolated that it is practically unheard of that they would be seen recently in a place like Shard? Or Leth Deriel?

We don't like people.:)
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/14/2012 08:30 AM CDT

Shard is lousy with PC Mountain Elves. The GMPCs from the Mountain aren't in game all -that- regularly, but it's still a lot more often than any of the other clans, from what I've seen. Every now and then someone from Leth pops up in Zoluren to represent the Forest Elves, but seeing Mountain Elves is much more common in Shard.

As far as intermarrying, it does happen. Marriage for Elves isn't generally considered a lifelong commitment, though. I would imagine that the child would follow the mother's clan, that's how my PC played it with her daughter. Generally speaking, Mountain Elves consider themselves far superior to every other clan (though most of the other ones likely have the same prejudice for themselves, particularly Snow and Sand), so I would think that intermarriage is not a common thing for "normal" Elves who would stay closer to home. The "adventuring class" is far more exposed to different cultures and people and is a different story altogether.
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/14/2012 11:49 AM CDT
<<2. Is it conceivable for a forest elf to marry or otherwise have relations with a mountain elf? What level of day-to-day interaction do typical, non-adventuring class elves have with members of another clan? Aside from geographical barriers, how would a union of forest-elf/mountain-elf be looked upon socially be either clan? How would a child born of such a union be looked upon?>>

A) Conceivable, sure. Just not likely with the mostly recent history between the clans, notably the Queen's disdain for Ralel.
B) Little to no day-to-day interactions between Mountain and Forest (Or Mountain and anyone else, for that matter)
C) Generally speaking, only the Mountain would look down upon marriage outside the clan. And all the clans have a predisposition to keeping it Elf on Elf love. But even then, it'd only be the nobility that'd really throw a stink. But the nobility is snobbish anyway. :D

GM Jaedren
P1-P5 Events Guy
Also an Elf Guy
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/24/2012 12:10 PM CDT
This has been helpful, thanks!

So, to clarify, there's no over-arcing reason that a mountain elf woman would not be able to leave the Mountain to travel anywhere she pleases, including Shard or Leth?

How's this:
XXXX's father was a forest elf, his mother was from the mountain. Before she met XXXX's father, she grew wistful and bored with her life in the mountain, and longed to experience a new life. In her travels to the north, she met a forest elf man, and fell in love. She decided to defy her parents' arrangements they had made for her, and marry the forest elf. To avoid negative attention and perhaps social ridicule, they were married quietly with a simple ceremony, only inviting a few honored guests. When word of her elopement reached her family back on the Mountain, her father sent out a search party of her brothers to retrieve her. Newly pregnant, and fearing severe or violent retribution from her mountain elf family, her and her new husband retreated deep into the forest, taking great pains to cover their tracks and throw them off her trail. They eventually made a homestead in the Endrus where she eventually bore him two sons, one right after the other. She died delivering the second child. The children were raised in the Forest, not knowing much of their mother, or the clan she represented.

Eh?
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/24/2012 12:34 PM CDT
Nothing wrong with that backstory. It would be extremely rare for an elf to bear twins, if that is what you meant. It is probably equally as rare to become pregnant again soon after a child was born, if you meant that. Aside from that though, there are always outliers in any social group and if that story works for you and it's what you want your characters family to be, it is fine.

Additionaly, given that we have very little to no IG ability to interact with clans or associate ourselves with a particular clan outside of just making it up on our own, whatever story you choose is completely plausible.

Blackguard Danoryiel (Mountain Elf)

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/24/2012 12:53 PM CDT
<<<It would be extremely rare for an elf to bear twins, if that is what you meant. It is probably equally as rare to become pregnant again soon after a child was born, if you meant that.>>>

My wording wasn't great there. I meant the latter. XXXX would probably only be three or four years older than his brother, which I suppose would be rather statistically rare for elves, considering their notorious difficulty with conception.
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/24/2012 02:53 PM CDT
From a lore standpoint:

<<completely plausible.>>

GM Jaedren
P1-P5 Events Guy
Also Elf Guy
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/24/2012 04:58 PM CDT
I agree it sounds completely plausible. My only suggestion is backing up Danoryiel's remark about the ages. Since Elves come out of the CM at 25 or 26 at the youngest (which makes those ages probably comparable to being 16-18 in other races), you could space the children out a little more to fit the idea of difficult conception. I would guess that 10, even 15 to 20 years, apart is not uncommon for the somewhat rare families that would have more than one child.

Casserah
Re: Elf clan interrelations 08/24/2012 06:12 PM CDT
>>Since Elves come out of the CM at 25 or 26 at the youngest (which makes those ages probably comparable to being 16-18 in other races), you could space the children out a little more to fit the idea of difficult conception.

Elves defy human age categorization more than any other race. There's really no analog to the Elf's 20-60s in human development, where they are physically adults but not able to conceive yet.

>>I would guess that 10, even 15 to 20 years, apart is not uncommon for the somewhat rare families that would have more than one child.

Most families, even Elves, have multiple children throughout their lifespan. Even ignoring the perils of being born into an era before germ theory, simple divison would cause the Elf race to go extinct if each couple on average produced less than two kids.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas