Bunch of Elven RP question 01/26/2011 12:16 PM CST
Hello, all Elves out there. Noticed there haven't been any posts in here for quite awhile. *listens to the echoes of the crickets chirping*

Anyway, I've been playing DR off and on as a heavy RPer since right before the Sorrow War. I'm looking to get involved with some Elven RP of a perhaps darker nature. When I say Elven RP I mean hardcore according to the books and seriously following traditions and such. Three Elven Clans jump out at me. Mountain (of course for darker devious stuff), Snow, and Sand. While they look fun enough not too interested in Forest, Wind, Celestial, or River right now. And Bone Elf is a BIT too extreme.

Anyway, looking for some hardcore traditional RPers of those clans. I'd like to find a family/apprentice type situation since I AM pretty new to Elven RP - especially of this nature - and I'd like to learn the culture inside out and do it justice. Hard to do when you just read the books cause there are subtle nuances and all that. I love plots, I'm not a powertrainer, and I can quite happily sit and RP for hours. I have a character for the sweetness and light fun good guy stuff. I'm looking for something a hell of a lot more complex for when I can't stand any more cotton candy sweetness. When I find the right people and RP situation I'll roll up the character and jump right in. I'm just trying to do my homework first!

I also noticed that a lot of the Elven marriage traditions involve arranged marriages. That is actually something I'm quite interested in. Wondering if folks actually have tried RPing through one of those relationships where both Elves were hardcore RPers and gave it the time and effort to see that sort of thing bear fruit. Seems like it could be a blast with the right people involved. There's certainly plenty of Elven marriage material to go off of!

Now, how to get ahold of me...

AIM Varalis if you don't have AIM well... elainevbarrett@gmail.com
Re: Bunch of Elven RP question 01/26/2011 05:10 PM CST
No cave elves?

"like POWERHAUS said"
- GM Solomon
Re: Bunch of Elven RP question 01/26/2011 07:59 PM CST
Closest thing to a cave elf is a Mountain Elf. But you knew that already.

Re: Bunch of Elven RP question 01/28/2011 06:03 PM CST
We're over-saturated with Mountain Elves, which could be good or bad depending on your angle. There are a few Sand Elves and almost no Snow Elves, so don't expect to find more than a couple of these honestly. Those clans are so relatively underdeveloped it's difficult for most people to take them very far. The two places where Snow Elves are even mentioned are the Elven marriage series and the book The Elven Folk, and these two sources paint an almost contradictory image of that clan.

e.g.:
"They surround themselves in the colors of spring and abundant texture, celebrating the joys of life and the arts."
"Snow Elf life is often short and cruel; dwelling in the wastes of the wind-torn snowfields, they have little room for art or love, instead living an existence that is wildly passionate in the knowledge that each moment could be the last."

As much as I hate to be the one to encourage yet another Mountain Elf player, you're really going to be blazing your own trail with the other two choices.

~ Pansophist Kougen
Re: Bunch of Elven RP question 01/30/2011 04:01 PM CST
There are plenty of Mountain Elves doing various things, and more than a few cliques among them. http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Category:Player_Mountain_Elf gives a list of just a few of the characters who are presented as Mountain Elves. Some are more active than others.

- Xelten's player

You owe 666 Dokoras to the Domain of Ilithi.

>climb chasm
Your sugar cookie makes the climb more difficult.
Re: Bunch of Elven RP question 01/30/2011 05:03 PM CST
Wow, I never knew those categories for players existed.

There should be a player page template like for weapons that has a bunch of them categories to choose from.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Bunch of Elven RP question 01/30/2011 06:48 PM CST
There's a bunch of Mountain Elves down in Shard, too many to name really. The RP isn't so much dark as taking themselves way too seriously and screaming GOD SAVE THE QUEEN all the time. Disclaimer: Some exaggerations may have been made.

Sand Elves are pretty few and far between. Terra (she's not a sand elf, but pretty much a permanent fixture in Muspar'i), Kirr, Synyster (spelling?). I'd always thought Sand Elves would be more popular due to Muspar'i and the number of Sand GMPCs.

I haven't heard of a Snow Elf PC in years. Veldehar was the last I know of. They win the 'needs good players' prize.
Re: Bunch of Elven RP question 01/30/2011 10:35 PM CST
I did consider Sand and Snow but the lore on them is just too little to really go off of right now. Sad but true. I agree with you on how you'd think they'd be more popular with Muspar'i and the Outcasts.

BTW.... Keep an eye out for Eizerion.

You are Eizerion, an Elven Warrior Mage.
You have pointed ears and mismatched eyes, one gold and the other silver. Your red hair is very long and curly, and is worn in a simple, pulled-back style held in place by a strand of large black idopun pearls. You have pale skin.
You are young.

Yeah I know the red hair is a BIT out of form and the eyes but I have RP reasons behind em. If you want to find out you'll just have to RP with her. She's currently doing her baby training in Haven but I'll be taking her to Shard once she can handle kobolds.

AIM for her is Eizerion. I wasn't too worried about that SN being taken. And, yes, I'm going Mountain Elf. Trying to take her RP as hardcore as I can with a darker twist - not snert but let's say she worships one of the Dark Aspects.
Re: Bunch of Elven RP question 01/31/2011 01:28 AM CST
>>Sand Elves are pretty few and far between. Terra (she's not a sand elf, but pretty much a permanent fixture in Muspar'i)

Thank you for recognizing that Terra is indeed, not a Sand Elf. She's a Forest Elf, but often gets mistaken for either a Sand Elf or Outcast based on her geographical location.

WTB more Forest Elf RP

- Terra