Fading 07/10/2010 06:34 PM CDT
I know there are references to River Elves saying this type of thing, not seriously, but in a dramatic extreme way. (ie my mother would "fade" if she could see me now.)

I only know of one in game account of this situation, which was in a book regarding an ancient account that related to the Elven creation times.

Are there more recent examples of this happening? Also how do various players view this situation in character or out of character?

This is what Elanthipedia says, there are at least this many ways of viewing this circumstance.

Fading refers to the Elven practice of ritualistically entering a place of nature and dying. The term is most commonly used by and associated with Forest Elves, who believe that Celestidhl Faded from grief at the death of her husband. River Elves hold similar beliefs regarding the Ocean.
Whether Fading is meant to be literal or metaphorical is debated. Some believe that an Elf will literally fade out of existence and join the natural elements around them. Others believe it is a poetic way of referring to ritualistic suicide, or a sort of "last hunt."

-Armifer says consequences are how we honor evil roleplaying.
-Abasha says, "Personally, I love supporting evil characters, but not if they can't take their lumps too.
-Quarel says, "Not me I hit you because I like to hit."
Re: Fading 07/10/2010 06:40 PM CDT
My characters grand parents went off to the forest to fade together as they were rarely apart. The characters were Aviana and Cinead both rangers. When they took me aside and spoke with me it was from the point that whilst their bodies will die thier spirts would fade to where they did not tell me.

OOC they both left the realms shortly after the web move and this was thier explanation to me.

My character believes that it is both physical and metaphysical though I would love for it to be a bit more fleshed out.

Good question Celitha I will have to ponder this further as I have not given it much thought honestly.

Miv

I will paper cut you to death with my awesome ranger TM!
Re: Fading 07/10/2010 06:49 PM CDT
From AGE INFO 2:

Elves have the same lifespan as Dwarves, but appear much younger. By the end of an Elf's life, he appears no older than a Human in his mid-50s. While Elves develop in most ways at step with Humans, they are not sexually viable until their 40s. Ancient stories claim Elves "fade away" with old age, but this is an echo of old social conventions rather than biological fact; an Elf who dies of complications of age leaves a corpse.

-Raesh
Re: Fading 07/10/2010 07:02 PM CDT
Physical and spirtual beliefs are often at odds with eachother. Fading may be an echo of the past, but there is lore established behind it.

So though we elves leave a physical body behind only the Immortals know what happens to our spirit or even if we have one, perhaps the ancient elves knew nothing better to call it. When one looks into a dead mans eyes the light from them has faded, this could be where the tale comes from, or not.

There are many tales within the races that are hard to comprehend to other races, for example Prydaens and thier return to this fabled wheel.

Miv

Re: Fading 07/10/2010 07:13 PM CDT
I view fading as wandering off to die with dignity, where the family simply does not witness it.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
Re: Fading 07/10/2010 07:24 PM CDT
>>I view fading as wandering off to die with dignity, where the family simply does not witness it.

Ding ding ding.

It's a play on the old barbaric "going out for a last hunt" tradition.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Fading 07/10/2010 07:34 PM CDT
My character views it as a pathetic way to die, typically as the result of some sort of obsession. Dignity could be construed as an obsession.

Because why should any strong willed person have to die at all?

P.S. Said character is young and not necessarily the most mature person, as well as a degree of hypocrite, having obsessions of his own.
Re: Fading 07/10/2010 08:07 PM CDT
>Are there more recent examples of this happening? Also how do various players view this situation in character or out of character?

It's a poetic euphemism. Every culture on Earth has several ways of saying "they died" without actually saying "they died" in order to soften the emotional blow and show sensitivity to their friends and family.

~ Kougen

Vorasus says, "There will be blood."

Vorasus drinks your milkshake.
Re: Fading 07/10/2010 08:10 PM CDT
<<only the Immortals know what happens to our spirit or even if we have one>>

Interestingly enough this question recently came up for my cleric character. Having recently completed her resurrection quest, she came upon something she hadn't been able to access before...

"Your soul shines brightly
Destined for the Red Spiral
Where the spirits burn in the Void
Beyond the Starry Path
Accept
All return to the Void from whence they come
All, all come to Urrem'tier."

This very closely parallels what has been "taught" to my necromancer --

"In truth, everyone is burned in the Red Spiral. Its what fuels the Immortals, you know. The deaths and purging of souls...we're nothing more than firewood to them."

<<Because why should any strong willed person have to die at all?>>

hence the "great work"...

So, while elves may speak of fading, in truth they go somewhere quiet to die. And the possiblity for an afterlife seems rather nonexistant.

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

Re: Fading 07/10/2010 08:55 PM CDT
If the question had not been answered I would have guessed something along the lines of Miv's part where she said the light in their eyes faded. And then assumed the culture recognized them as dead, their light fading, where they would go off to die alone. Well the last part probably wouldn't have made it if I hadn't just read the confirmation of what Fading is, but still.

I wish there was more going on with Elves. It seems like the only thing that's going to happen is the opening of the Mountin Elf area. As a player I am really excited for it. I can only imagine how amazing this place will be, hopefully the release will come with some additional lore, a few shops (maybe a new instrument) and an event.

- Terra
Raesh gives Terra wings. And then rips them off and beats her with them.
Re: Fading 07/12/2010 05:43 PM CDT
This is my personal take on Fading, the Elf in question, is under extreme grief, to the point, they no longer retain much if any will to live. The will the have remaining, they use to force their life processes to slow or cease. The body, ritually prepared, dies close to nature, it almost instantaneously nourishes the surrounding environment. A portion of the person's spirit, remains with the elements, flora and fauna.

This may not follow exact game lore, or be popular or accepted. My views on it,though, perhaps it will not be too negative to be pulled.

Also off subject but with regard to Lyras, although Human. It is the belief of some of my characters that some part of Lyras sought it to end. I know her soul was gone, but maybe some fraction of what was once her spirit or personality lingered in some corner.

That small portion wanted it to end, the chaos, the madness, the constant annihilation, the being a near shell-like pawn of a destructive other planar entity or demon. That she in some way aided in her own end, even if in a very minuscule way.

I am think it is likely people will say I am way off, and that I will be harshly criticized for this opinion. Perhaps ignored as someone not worth even acknowledging the absurd views of, anymore.

-Armifer says consequences are how we honor evil roleplaying.
-Abasha says, "Personally, I love supporting evil characters, but not if they can't take their lumps too.
-Quarel says, "Not me I hit you because I like to hit."
Re: Fading 07/12/2010 07:48 PM CDT
There is no reason that you cannot have that view, it seems very IC to me for you to have those views. We are all taught different dogmas in life, every church, temple, lodge, coven what have you have different views but at the core the are generally related.

Well thought out IMO. You have a good mind Celitha, never stop sharing your views. We may not always agree 100 percent but I appreciate and respect your views.

Miv

Re: Fading 07/12/2010 08:56 PM CDT
Encouraging ideas heavily borrowed from other games and found nowhere in Dragonrealms canon is how we end up with heartplugs and evermeet.
Re: Fading 08/17/2010 01:47 PM CDT
My character's parents/community (Mountain Elves) feared that she had faded into the forest because she ran away to Crossing while left alone for part of her wedding rituals.

For the purpose of my RP, I've always seen it as being private death. Whether suicide or old age would depend on the character's age and circumstances - my character's family and community believed she had committed suicide as she did not wish to be married off to her chosen fiance.

I don't believe it to be a mystical process, but as another person stated, just unseen death or a term used to soften the blow of death. In real world terminology, it's akin to "passed away" for "died".

Interesting discussion, I enjoy seeing other people's thoughts on it.

Bella
>>There are 7 levels of hell, she said, & I think one of them is reserved for people who bring jello salads to every potluck they go to.