Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 10:18 AM CDT

Okay, so after some extensive testing that Leilond, Gorteous, and whoever else have been doing about all the 3.0 bugs, I was inspired to do a test of my own.

GNOMES

Problem: Why do these things get to poke me in the eye? How can they possibly chop at my head with a Katar? Shouldnt I be able to throw them with as much effort as this 50 stone log that I just foraged up?

Testing:
So we got together one of each race and replicated all the possible abuses of the gnome race and stature that we could come up with. So far we've come up with the following: Eye-poking, use of weapons sized for anything bigger than a 5 year old human child, and weight based mechanics (force of impact, tactical maneuvers, brawling).

Test #1: The eye-poke.
This is mechanics abuse if I've ever seen it. Someone please PLEASE tell me how a gnome listed at 2.5 feet maximum height (http://www.play.net/dr/info/races/racecharts.asp) is able to reach up and poke a Gor'tog in the eye who's listed at no less than 8 feet tall? This seems completely out of line with any of the common-sense mechanics that have been introduced lately and I think it warrants some real, honest GM assessment.

Test #2: Their stubby little hands and weapons not designed for them to use.
Again, more mechanical abuse by a race of people designed to be the size of a small family pet. They wield greatswords and war mattocks and again are able to defy the common-sense laws of realism that non-gnome races have been forced to adhere to for nearly the entire existence of DR. Combined with the eye-poke levitation tricks, gnomes also manage to it things in the head when its not even gnomely possible. They continue to break the boundaries of what is acceptable in DR and again I urge for GM assessments.

Test #3: Weight based mechanics.
Third, and final for this testing round, is weight based mechanics. I've got swords that weight more than a gnome. My Kanton's pouch can carry 37 gnomes without putting me over Somewhat Burdened encumberance, yet somehow a gnome brawling with me can shove me clear across a room? Cmon, really? Lets add SOME sort of realism into this game, this is just pure and utter non-sense! FOI (force of impact for all you non-Kodius fans) has been implemented in some facets of the game and somehow I think Gnomes have broken it. They use their tiny little bodies and wierdly shaped appendages to do things that are mechanically impossible and, once again, I think this needs a much deeper GM assessment.

In closing, I think the Gnome race as a whole has been a thorn in the side of good, true, honest development in Dragonrealms for years now and its time to put it to a stop. They're good for nothing but throwing in Taverns and making snacks out of for demented Prydaens. Also, the bunny one, someone kill it and mount it to a wall somewhere. That thing is just disturbing.

As always, I look forward to your honest input and discussion.

-O
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 02:07 PM CDT
I believe it's called "suspension of disbelief" and I probably don't need to point out that this is a game with races that don't actually exist in real life, etc, etc, etc. You just happened to choose one of thousands of things that don't make any "sense" but really? Nothing in DR makes sense which is why we must suspend our disbelief in order to enjoy the game. I love to play gnomes as a race, especially once you can get the strength/stamina above 30. Did you ever watch the Star Wars episode where Yoda (a gnome if I ever saw one) takes on Count Dokku? There's your explanation of the eye poke. Oh, and when Yoda lifts the x-wing fighter out of the swamp on Degobah using nothing but his mind? There's how gnomes can wield war mattocks and twohanded weapons. There are so many comparisons between DR and Star Wars it's amazing, and if gnomes can do that stuff in Star Wars, then they should be able to do them in DR, so stop being so racist and hug a gnome today. It will make you feel better. ;)

"EMPATHS RULE ELANTHIA -- ALL SHALL LOVE US AND DESPAAAAAIR" ~GM Melete
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 02:32 PM CDT

>> bluesuedeshoes

Whoooooooooooooooooossssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 02:56 PM CDT
LMFAO!

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 02:58 PM CDT
Prydaen should have MASSIVE debuff to fire damage as they are covered in fur!

You see where people can take this Osus. Its a game mech vs. game lore situation that is the way it is for balance. If this isn't a troll attempt and you can't see this, you need help.

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 05:10 PM CDT
LOL

Great post Osus.

Just the way it starts out is great in its declaration of the problem.

just LOL.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 07:08 PM CDT
http://imgur.com/t7fKeYQ

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 10:20 PM CDT

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/6471/osus.jpg
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 10:22 PM CDT

I think Uthgaar summed it up best.
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 03/31/2013 10:25 PM CDT
>I think Uthgaar summed it up best.

- Erixx
Re: Sense Check: Gnomes 04/02/2013 01:53 PM CDT