Fabric frustration 01/06/2009 03:39 PM CST
A while ago, I purchased two pieces of marblesilk, with the intent to use them as alteration material. When I requested this, offering them up to be destroyed in the process, I was told that it was not possible, as it was a Prydaen fabric only.

I would like to know how a fabric can be relegated to only one race. The items themselves go on my Halfling's body.
Re: Fabric frustration 01/06/2009 03:52 PM CST
I think it might have to do with the see through nature of the fabric. Yet I might be wrong.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: Fabric frustration 01/06/2009 07:05 PM CST
>> I think it might have to do with the see through nature of the fabric. Yet I might be wrong.

I see people in diaphanous, gossamer, <insert-purple-phrase-that-means-transparent> crap all the time. Showing off their hoosits never mattered for any other kind of alteration, especially since according to Solomon our characters are never ever ever without some kind of undergarment on.

Rev. Reene

"I tell you in truth: all men are Prophets or else God does not exist." - Sartre
Re: Fabric frustration 01/06/2009 07:26 PM CST
Marble silk was created by Prydaen craftrs and only a Prydaen alterer is approved to make use of it in this manner. You'll have to find and deal with such a person to see if they are willing to make you the item you desire.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Re: Fabric frustration 01/07/2009 01:27 PM CST
Thank you. Wasn't the answer I wanted, but it's an answer.
Re: Fabric frustration 01/07/2009 02:23 PM CST
Is this an OOC restriction or is there an IC reason for Mister Master Artisan Joebob that doesn't really give a whiff about Prydaen culture to refuse to work with a particular fabric?

Rev. Reene

"I tell you in truth: all men are Prophets or else God does not exist." - Sartre
Re: Fabric frustration 01/07/2009 02:55 PM CST
Joebob obviously doesn't approve of the showing off of hoosits ;)

"Rock is fine! No structural damage to rock." -Dimitri Martin, Person.
Re: Fabric frustration 01/07/2009 04:03 PM CST
I'm going to guess it's an OOC restriction. A tunic turned into a cloak doesn't show off all the fun hoosits. Was trying to use an LTB scroll for it, so couldn't really ask when I had put in for it the first time.
Re: Fabric frustration 01/07/2009 07:17 PM CST
It is a combo of OOC and the decision that a non-Prydaen crafter won't know how to properly handle such a new and different fabric properly. Whichever answer sits better with you.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Re: Fabric frustration 01/07/2009 07:25 PM CST
Okay. I was just curious if there was some special property of marblesilk that hasn't been mentioned or something. Thanks for the clarification.

Rev. Reene

Re: Fabric frustration 01/07/2009 07:55 PM CST
Marblesilk is a specialization of a specific Prydaen family whom perfected the making of it and crafting with it. It is made in a full item when created, they dont just make bolts of Marblesilk.

To cut it into smaller pieces destroys the fabric, that is why you do not see any small pieces of Marblesilk. The Prydaen family that creates it and turns it into items worn by Prydaen only do so for formal wear, and not embroidery threads.

For an alteration using marblesilk, you would have to speak to that specific Prydaen Family. But again, they only deal in full use of the silk, not edgings.

Can try to use Marbled Silk, but you would not get the same quality and design as the marblesilk.

Shakahn

"You say to Alvy, "You, madam, are a peevish, rude-growing jolthead!"
>
Alvy says to you, "You, sir, are a lewd gnome-cruncher!"
>
Alvy laughs!