Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/05/2006 12:39 AM CDT
I chose a Rakash for thier history and strong charater. I liked the ideals behind thier culture and thier way of life. I see the change as the one drawback to a perfect racial choice for me. I feel that while it is a very unique chararistic to add to a race it is somewhat childish.

My orignal post was to let the rakash have thier moonskin back. As a Rakash I want my moonskin back.

So I will learn Plague of Scavangers. Because as a player of a Rakash I want my homeland back and will use any advantage aginst the undead. So likewise I will use any advantage to get back to what i consider to be normal. wait...not just normal...our freaking birthright.

Scout Alexii.

>snugg racc
I think you've been out hunting too long if a baby raccoon is starting to look like good snuggle material.
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/05/2006 02:32 AM CDT
>wait...not just normal...our freaking birthright.

Let me first say that I'm all for an enchantment or something to help Rakash stay furry. But since the burning of Katamba happened in the Age of Legends, it's really hard to call it normal and sort of a stretch to even call it your birthright. I mean... it was thousands of years ago and Rakash have been living with the half-and-half (or rather more like 1/16-and-15/16) ever since.

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire

"Barbarians should not have a bonus to forging."
- DiminishedAngel
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/05/2006 03:31 PM CDT
>>Let me first say that I'm all for an enchantment or something to help Rakash stay furry. But since the burning of Katamba happened in the Age of Legends, it's really hard to call it normal and sort of a stretch to even call it your birthright. I mean... it was thousands of years ago and Rakash have been living with the half-and-half (or rather more like 1/16-and-15/16) ever since.

Wow...Birthright is a very touchy subject...but I must say, it was used quite WELL in context.

Traditionally speaking, a birthright is something promised to you at creation(or prophesy) but which is withheld from you.

For instance,

Abram's birthright was an heir. He didn't have a son with his wife untill he was well into his 90s. At this time he became Abraham.

Jacob's birthright was Israel. However, this never occured in his lifetime. By the time the tribes of Israel were killed and the Levites took over, Jacob had long passed, and his people were lead by Moses.

These are merely two instances. Just because it isn't there, or doesn't appear possible, doesn't mean it isn't a birthright. Abram had given up on having an heir, when he was given his birthright. Jacob was the father of nations, but never came to know the lands that God promised him.

It was still known that this was promised them by God. Mrod gave his people Moonskin - and when his strength was shattered he lacked the strength to maintain it. When his strength returns, his people will once again enjoy a full-time Moonskin.

Fateweaver Meerc
_______
And the light of a fading star
Is what you wear is what you are
Like the glow that cristens the moon
You shone too soon, you shone too soon
_______
"Don't be an Airplane." - Baelor
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/05/2006 09:29 PM CDT
>>It was still known that this was promised them by God. Mrod gave his people Moonskin - and when his strength was shattered he lacked the strength to maintain it. When his strength returns, his people will once again enjoy a full-time Moonskin.>>

I am not going to nitpick the above statement which clearly misrepresents the Rakash history.

Please be sure your facts are straight before you post theological data dealing with the Rakash and their Gods.

Thank you.

GM Anji
Rakash Race Champ
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/05/2006 11:26 PM CDT
>>>theological data

Too late, Anji. We've been arguing his slightly skewed theological bent for a while now, and still haven't made a dent in the armor surrounding his logical holes.

So whenever Meerc's player starts spouting theology, I tend to simply scroll past unless it has garnered some discussion. You know, that's pretty much what a lot of people tend to do with my WTH chart.

Amagaim; the player of,

Don't write it if you can say it.
Don't say it if you can whisper it.
Don't whisper it if you can imply it.
Don't imply it if you can nudge it.
Don't nudge it if you can wink it.
Don't wink it if you can help it.
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 05:49 AM CDT
<<GM Anji
Rakash Race Champ>>

So is there any reason in particular why the Rakash don't yet have any real benefits (or deficits) to moonskin?

I'm sure after all these years, the list of basic wants is pretty well known.
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 06:47 AM CDT
>So is there any reason in particular why the Rakash don't yet have any real benefits (or deficits) to moonskin?

Of course there is. Just things not usually considered important by most players.

>I'm sure after all these years, the list of basic wants is pretty well known.

Oh yeah.

Ilanya, devotee of Anji

Because Trading is an art, baby.
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 09:19 AM CDT
Greetings Ilanya,

>Just things not usually considered important by most players.

I think Rakash have been spoiled by some of Anji's releases. The language books, and array of Rakash weapons/armor were very well recieved.

I'd argue that the racial feats that were talked about some time ago would be considered important. The moonskin and morph were one of the top items from that original discussion. Sadly, many of those people who supported/encouraged those discussions have left the game.
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 11:30 AM CDT
>I'd argue that the racial feats that were talked about some time ago would be considered important.

Seconded. Has that system been completely scrapped, or does anyone know?

>Sadly, many of those people who supported/encouraged those discussions have left the game.

Or just given up. I know the few times I bothered making suggestions or giving ideas, I was usually quite uncerimoniously shot down, and by people who weren't even players of Rakash for the most part. Kinda draining.

-Vorgahf

The last time Mr. T went to McDonald's, Ronald McDonald greeted him. What occured next proved to be the most violent beating of a clown ever recorded in human history.
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 03:35 PM CDT
>>I am not going to nitpick the above statement which clearly misrepresents the Rakash history.

>>Please be sure your facts are straight before you post theological data dealing with the Rakash and their Gods.

>>Anji

Well, you are the one in power to do this.

If you don't like the way your races books read, perhaps you should talk to your team about getting them rewritten. All the information I use(with the exception of my heralds-theory) is based on the in-game books provided. Your race books say that Mrod grants Rakash Moonskin.

Logically, then, he has always granted it. Since the Age of Legends. And, Logically, his strength must have been broken, for him to not be able to provide Moonskin full-time.

Now, it's entirely possible that Mrod hates Rakash, and so stripped their Moonskins. I mean, it does say in the books that it's a topic of debate.

So, if you don't like how your races books read, then by all means, change the canon of the race.

Fateweaver Meerc
_______
_______
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 04:39 PM CDT
>If you don't like the way your races books read, perhaps you should talk to your team about getting them rewritten.

No need to.

>Logically, then, he has always granted it. Since the Age of Legends. And, Logically, his strength must have been broken, for him to not be able to provide Moonskin full-time

All conjecture. And if we're making conjecture, we might as well go ahead and assume that when Anji said, "Make sure your facts are straight," that she was implying that none of the above is true, be it 'logical' or not.

-Fuquois-

- Voltaire

- DiminishedAngel
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 05:09 PM CDT
Ah, the problem:

It is impossible to see any of this as fact, as they are never confirmed or denied. And only a small handfull now knows elsewise, because the only time(that I'm aware of) that it has been confirmed that Mrod does not grant Moonskin was by Anji here on the boards.

Again, the way the books read.

Fateweaver Meerc
_______
_______
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 05:15 PM CDT
>Again, the way the books read.

Books are based on culture and peope from the culture retelling their tales. Not the actual "truth".

Much like if I said "Well, obviously the sky has to stay up somehow. So logically a large man MUST be supporting it on his shoulders." That tale becomes widespread, is told all over, and for a number of years. People believe it either because it's been told for so long or because they have the inherent need to believe in something for that purpose.

It doesn't make it true.

Huldah: I heard the new Ferdahl was fat. Me: How fat? Huldah: So fat, her coronation has to take two days. One so her stomach can show up and the other two days later so the rest of her is there too! HAR HAR!
AIM: Huldahs Pal
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 05:30 PM CDT
<<It doesn't make it true.

<<Journal of Aeronautics, vol. 47, issue 30, pp. 210-215

"...preliminary archaelogical and anthropological studies have recently uncovered startling new evidence that might entirely change our perceptions of pre-Industrial and pre-Scientific peoples and their struggles with the so-called "sky-problem."

"Most modern scholars work under the perhaps erroneous assumption that, lacking a dynamic system of hydraulics and molecularly-reinforced carbon metals such as titanium, ancient peoples were living with the sky practically atop them at all times, able to rely only on the strength of local men to keep it permanently aloft. However, new evidence has been uncovered to suggest that, perhaps as early as the Phoenicians or Assyrians, ancient peoples had developed an advanced systems of levers and pullies toa ssuage the sky's tremendous weight. Using these, it might indeed be possible to keep the entire sky aloft with the strong arms of only a single man..."

"Decisions I regret: making staff sling my primary weapon, losing the funky chicken, and becoming a Warrior Mage."
-BRFUQUOIS

Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 05:33 PM CDT
You're right,

But to expect someone to know something thats never been laid out in the player knowledgebase is redunkulous. The player knowledgebase constitutes these boards, the website, logs of Elders(far and few between), and of course in-game literatures.

If you intentionally misrepresent something in a book, don't be annoyed and snipe when someone builds an understanding or point based on that misrepresentation that was originally presented by you. THAT is my point, Huldahs-Pal(btw, I love your sigs)

If what I have said is a misrepresentation, then the books are misrepresenting.

Fateweaver Meerc
_______
_______
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 05:37 PM CDT
I just think you're taking what the books are saying/interpreting and running off with it on a theological direction which, instead of saying.. "This is my theory" is being presented as a fact.

I think if you were saying "Ok, based on X and Y this is what I think," it would be a lot easier.

I know it can definitely be hard to distinguish what IG/IC material is actually... TRUE. GMNPCs do this all the time, and sometimes have a tendency to make events more muddled than they were before.

And this makes me sad.

Huldah: I heard the new Ferdahl was fat. Me: How fat? Huldah: So fat, her coronation has to take two days. One so her stomach can show up and the other two days later so the rest of her is there too! HAR HAR!
AIM: Huldahs Pal
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 05:58 PM CDT
Meerc, there is one slight problem with your logical procession. You are under the impression that every detail is part of the cause and effect and you have forgotten Divine Whim. You assume that Mrod tied the moonskin to Katamba for some legitimate reason. Why? The Rakash form got changed for some reason during the magical battle with the World Dragon. The now different Rakash prayed to Mrod for thier form back and he chose to grant it on a part time basis. The easiest method to do that would be to tie it into a regular event and he for whatever Divine Reason chose Katamba being full. The in game documentation is good and proper, the error is in how you choose to apply the facts presented in this particular case.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Nudging this subject Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 06:06 PM CDT
Folks,

I would like to remind you that while debate is fine, outright rudeness to the GameMasters is not allowed. If you want to post your interpretation of what you perceive, by all means do, and expect it to be debated. But when THE Rakash Race Champion, and by extension, the Guru of all things Rakash (both in front of and behind the curtain) tells you that you are wrong, a wiser man would go back and rethink his theories.

How Meerc acts in the game and espouses his personal theories is one matter, how Meerc posts on these boards (posting fallacious information as fact) in the face what the GameMaster of the Rakash Race has clearly stated, is a another. To staunchly defend something on these OOC boards, that has been outrightly defunked as myth, is just a little silly.

If the purpose of a non-Rakash player posting in these folders is to cultivate a civilised discussion and engage in a philosophical debate, its fine. If the purpose is to be annoying and upsetting, then it is an issue. Please do consider the purpose of your posts.

If you have any questions or comments, please write to DR-Cecco@play.net.

Cecco
Supervisor, DragonRealms Message Boards.
Re: Nudging this subject Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 06:09 PM CDT
I'm a bit glad the GMs didn't hop into my atheism discussion now.

Rev. Reene

Khaman says to Mandorsgar, "It would be like finding out that stars are simply great gasfires, symbolic of nothing."
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/06/2006 06:13 PM CDT
>If what I have said is a misrepresentation, then the books are misrepresenting

Not so much misrepresentation as misinterpretation. And even so, not really misinterpretation necessarily. You can read the books and get that out of it. It doesn't make it fact. I read the same books and saw nothing that would, to me, suggest such things.

-Fuquois-

- Voltaire

- DiminishedAngel
Re: Of gods, monsters, crystals, and undead 04/07/2006 02:21 PM CDT
I like Oolan...

Fateweaver Meerc
_______