of gods and monsters 03/13/2006 07:09 AM CST
kay, so lots of talk on here about what people think is right and what people are being told is right.

The lore does explain the three Rakash deities as 3 sides of a single coin (if thats possiable)

I think the explantions hold much merit that the east gods and the west gods didnt really have much use for one and another, nor much use for influencing the cultures that sprug up on the other side of thier areas. I mean could you see and egypt god sitting down with a norse god and having a drink and decideding to trade spots for awhile? or even one giving the other adivce on how to influence their respective followings.

But the talk of gods and such have not changed the fact that with all these divine powers nobody can seem to heal the black moon? maybe even just turn it around so its white again? :) Or even give one of the guilds the the power to influence the change more directly.

Not that im ungrateful for mrod allowing us to grasp our true forms even for that one fated night of the full katamba, but id much rather wear my true form all the time for all to see.

Alexii Scout of the Order of the Black Fox
Re: of gods and monsters 03/13/2006 12:01 PM CST
Okay honestly. Religious dogma aside. Why do you assume moonskin to be the Rakash's "true form"?

Seems to me that the human form would be the "true form," since the moonskin only occurs because of Katamba/Liabo. If you've got one form in a vacuum, and a second form that's brought out due to an outside force, why would you assume the second form to be the "true" one?

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

[pi]
Re: of gods and monsters 03/13/2006 12:17 PM CST
I realize what you're trying to say, Ahmir, but look at it this way:

If you've got one form in a vacuum > Rakash of ancient times, always in moonskin.

and a second form that's brought out due to an outside force > Rakash human form, which came to be by an outside force (World Dragon) scorching Katamba black.

Then you have your answer. The religious dogma comes from the tale of the Rakash of the time begging Mrod for mercy at the loss of their moonskin, and him granting it back to us when Katamba phases full in the sky. I suppose you could argue that even in ancient times, Katamba was an acting outside force, but it was constant and unchanging (until forceably changed), thereby being the "vacuum" state that you'd consider present day's circumstances to be.

Just depends on how you look at it, and as far as Rakash go, the Rakash way to look at it is the only way that matters :p

-Vorgahf

The last time Mr. T went to McDonald's, Ronald McDonald greeted him. What occured next proved to be the most violent beating of a clown ever recorded in human history.
Re: of gods and monsters 03/13/2006 06:03 PM CST
"The lore does explain the three Rakash deities as 3 sides of a single coin (if thats possiable)"

All coins have 3 sides unless you live in a 2 dimensional world.

As to the true form, when Katamba was changed the Rakash changed. As far as my Rakash is concerned, Katamba's true form was the form it had prior to the World Dragon and the Rakash's true form is the form we had prior to the World Dragon.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: of gods and monsters 03/13/2006 11:49 PM CST
I don't specifically recall the exact IG lore about the loss of moonskin, but if this is true:

>Then you have your answer. The religious dogma comes from the tale of the Rakash of the time begging Mrod for mercy at the loss of their moonskin, and him granting it back to us when Katamba phases full in the sky.

Then moonskin may or may not have had anything to do with Katamba before it was scorched.

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire
Re: of gods and monsters 03/31/2006 10:30 PM CST
According to the Rakash book 'Whispers on the Winds of Time' in the Ancient Tower Library:

"...All I do know is that Grazhir was pearlescent and lit up the sky, and Katamba shone gold as the sun. Until the time of the darkness, that is. Grazhir was destroyed, and Katamba was charred and lost her glow. As she cooled, we began to change in the darkness. We lost our moonskins and came to slightly resemble something called humans, according to those Rakash who had traveled far and returned.

It is no surprise that, to a pack, there was a great cry. The elders met. An entire nation began praying to their God, seeking answers. We are told that Mrod listened, and at the next fullness of Katamba he granted us our moonskins for a short time. We have changed with Katamba since those long-ago days, and so it has been since time has been recorded."

Lengthy, but pertinent. According to legend Rakash were originally in moonskin by default. Hope that helps.
Re: of gods and monsters 04/03/2006 10:27 AM CDT
So than our one viable option is to restore the gahzir crystal. and perhaps the strength of gahzir could make katamba glow again?

which means all you moonies better get used to not having gahzir shards around.

Scout Alexii.

>snugg racc
I think you've been out hunting too long if a baby raccoon is starting to look like good snuggle material.
Re: of gods and monsters 04/03/2006 10:34 AM CDT
O.o? Nani?

How exactly would restoring the "Grazhir crystal" (what is that, btw?) somehow restore Katamba? Grazhir was a moon, and functionally the egg of the World Dragon. World Dragon burned Katamba black. How is fiddling with the remnants of it's egg going to 'fix' Katamba?

Am I the only Rakash primary player that enjoys the Rakash because of the changes, culture, and uniqueness within the game they provide?

-Vorgahf

The last time Mr. T went to McDonald's, Ronald McDonald greeted him. What occured next proved to be the most violent beating of a clown ever recorded in human history.
Re: of gods and monsters 04/04/2006 11:23 AM CDT
Well to be compelety honest...Rakash are nothing but werewolves. And I simply woudl find more enjoyment playing a human-like wolf than playing a human that turns into one.

Scout Alexii.

>snugg racc
I think you've been out hunting too long if a baby raccoon is starting to look like good snuggle material.
Re: of gods and monsters 04/04/2006 12:32 PM CDT
It depends on how you look at it really. I have no problem with characters sharing wishes of a restored Katamba, and being in moonskin full time, I think that if it were to happen naturally or at the hands of Mrod or some other god, almost all (there are always those outside the norm) Rakash would rejoice.

It's when players start saying they want an enchantment or something equally cheesy to give them moonskin full time, or that they wish Rakash were this way or the other, that I just have to wonder, why make a Rakash PC in the first place? Prydaens came from the Hinterlands as well, and they're furry all the time, you know. So there's always another choice if you don't like what you're playing now, but want a loosely similar backstory for yourself.

-Vorgahf

Re: of gods and monsters 04/04/2006 02:51 PM CDT
>Rakash are nothing but werewolves

Heh... the following crosspost is from a thread on the Plat boards about Humans and their lack of abilities. What can I say? I was feeling my oats:

Humans should have the lycanthrope power, where the light of the full moon changes them into the form of a half-man half-wolf (or werewolf). Wait...

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire

"Barbarians should not have a bonus to forging."
- DiminishedAngel