rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 11:00 AM CST
Okay I have a complaint.
im complaing about the transformation from human form to moonskin on rakash. I think rakash shoul be able to have moonskin all the time. I think to only be bale to have moonskin every so often isnt cool. i mean the purpose of the new rance was for it to be new not half new half normal.
according to story rakash used to be in moonskin all the time.
just my opinion

Alexii Scout of the Order of the Black Fox
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 11:04 AM CST
<<, i mean the purpose of the new rance was for it to be new not half new half normal.

Personally I like the transformation. Gives Rakash a sense of uniqueness IMHO. They're wicked cool, but they have really, really weird stat allocations which makes it hard for them to be naturally 'good' at anything except maybe Barbarians. I wish one set of modifiers +/- would be dropped. They're the only race with six of the eight stats weighted.

Drop one of the modifier sets and make moonskin more often (twice as often, if not triple). being a wolfie every tenth day RL was not enough to make me keep my Rakash and his weirdness and the stuns and crap. I really wanted to be a puppy too :(.

Malkien the Barbarian has already been to the moon: that's why there are no signs of life there.
Apis the Cleric's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 11:41 AM CST
Thank the World Dragon (according to legend). Rakash were in moonskin all the time until Grazhir shattered and the World Dragon spewed flame at Katamba, forever blackening it. Because of the diminished light of Katamba, it now only grants moonskin to the Rakash when it is in the sky and is full.

Fuquois
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 11:52 AM CST
Make this a moonie enchant, create a shard with the pure light of katamba that will let the rakash who holds it remain in moonskin.
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 12:17 PM CST
>I really wanted to be a puppy too :(.

Thank god that Rakash are set up the way they are, just to keep people like that out.

Oh and just for the record, Rakash are one of 3 races with 6 modified stats.

-V

An annoying fly keeps buzzing by your nose. It's driving you crazy! You should WAVE it away.
R>
[script paused, Esc to continue]
R>
Whoops, wrong person. Feel free to ignore that!
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 12:41 PM CST
>>Make this a moonie enchant, create a shard with the pure light of katamba that will let the rakash who holds it remain in moonskin.

I love this idea...but where are you getting the pure light of Katamba?

Here's what I can see, and you guys can run it past your GMs and they past Armifer...

a renessada akren

Scribe Katamba, charge with Shadows, THEN with Dazzle to turn it to a solid gold color. It can be eaten to shift into Moonskin. Moonskin will last for 12 hours from that point.

materials usable:
moonstone
onyx
opal
other black gemstones possibly...or whatever, really.

Fateweaver Meerc
_______
Must it take a life for hateful eyes
To glisten once again
Cause we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
______
Lost? Questions? Don't Panic!
http://www.fateweaver.net
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 12:47 PM CST
<<I love this idea...but where are you getting the pure light of Katamba?>>
Please don't take me too literally. I was thinking of more of a black lamp. A crystal shard (maybe an expensive gem) is prepared to hold the black light (well absense there of) of katamba. If a rakash holds this they will immediately go into moonskin for the length of the light or until it is no longer visible.

<<Scribe Katamba, charge with Shadows, THEN with Dazzle to turn it to a solid gold color. It can be eaten to shift into Moonskin. Moonskin will last for 12 hours from that point.>>

I like this idea, self contained. Possibly a relatively low level enchant. Maybe make it work on any food <ponder mooncake>
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 02:03 PM CST
>I think rakash shoul be able to have moonskin all the time.

Moon. Skin. Hrm..

Fine. I'm wrong.
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 02:33 PM CST
Would be kinda like a much longer-term Sokis? Follows you around. That would be super.

Fuquois
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 03:30 PM CST
well being that its really the rakash natural body form.
the term moonskin has only been applied since it was lost as thier main form.
hrmmm.

Alexii Scout of the Order of the Black Fox
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/01/2006 07:44 PM CST
Well, technically, we all have moon skin...

It's just not appropriate to discuss

Fateweaver Meerc
_______
To glisten once again
______
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/02/2006 06:53 AM CST
>I really wanted to be a puppy too :(.

Then you wouldn't be Rakash. Rakash have cubs.

As far as the ideas for magical means of staying in moonskin longer; I'd rather have a warning as to when we are about to change. Also, assuoming your ideas have merit, what type of history would you write in order to make this possible? Would the same type of magic do shapeshifting for others who claim to be half (for example) Elf and Human? Personally I can't see how anything of the type would come to fruition... for one thing, the Togs, S'kra and Prydaen would all have complaints as they can't make babies outside their races. (https://www.play.net/dr/info/races/racecharts.asp)

Ebil Cleric Bambina
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/02/2006 07:08 AM CST
>Bambina's post

Why would it effect anyone or anything else? Rakash are the only ones who shape-shift according to the whim of Katamba. The proposed suggestions deal, mainly, with focusing Katamba energy so that they have a portable moon energy source.

Fine. I'm wrong.
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/02/2006 07:30 AM CST
<<Why would it effect anyone or anything else? Rakash are the only ones who shape-shift according to the whim of Katamba. The proposed suggestions deal, mainly, with focusing Katamba energy so that they have a portable moon energy source.>>

I agree. This would need no history, since the history of shapeshifting with katamba is already there. What it would need is the means to create the item, and of course moon mages are most adept at such matters.
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/02/2006 11:18 AM CST
I have to chime in, too. The Half Human/Elf bit is ridiculous. I could see it used as an argument against this idea if there was a race out there that currently changes from Human to Elf depending on some environmental change, but there isn't. Rakash is unique in that aspect. If you were trying to make a point to that effect, it would have been much more successful that way.

As for the warning about the moon, I'm all for it. Since it was during the time of legends (a long long long time ago) that Rakash lost their permanent moonskin, I would imagine that over the years Rakash would have developed a sense for when Katamba was about right. Call it a biological clock if you want to. The moon's revolution and rotation doesn't change, so it wouldn't be a stretch for Rakash to sort of learn an internal rhythm for it. Especially adults who have grown up with the change.

Fuquois
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/02/2006 12:22 PM CST
Personally I'd love to have the warning when change was near. I also believe, if racial feats haven't been scrapped, there was talk of one that extended moonskin for a small amount of time before/after full phase of Katamba, and another that would let us go through the change unaffected, but I may be remembering player suggestions... it's been a very very long time since I read any of that.

As for an enchantment that lets a Rakash change to moonskin, no thanks. The last thing I really want to see is a hundred new Rakash novices running around in Moonskin acting like dogs, just because their rich "siblings" wanted to play as a puppy instead of a kitty (Note: I don't think Prydaens are kitties, but you as well as I know, there are a great number of foofrofuzzypaws still running around, and one race full of those is enough). There are a few of those running around during full Katamba already, and they're more than enough.

As for me personally, ICly, I'd probably take it as rather an affront to Mrod's will that mages were arbitrarily handing out/selling items that would bestow moonskin, and would have nothing of it. If Mrod wanted us to have our Moonskin back at all times, he'd grant it to us... but I'm just weird like that.

-V

The last time Mr. T went to McDonald's, Ronald McDonald greeted him. What occured next proved to be the most violent beating of a clown ever recorded in human history.
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/02/2006 04:25 PM CST
<<I really wanted to be a puppy too :(.

<<Then you wouldn't be Rakash. Rakash have cubs.

Boards are OOC. If I want to call my dearly-departed dead Rakash a were-puppy on the boards then that's what I'll do. Not as if I'd ever do it IC without wanting to engage someone in combat afterwards.

Malkien the Barbarian has already been to the moon: that's why there are no signs of life there.
Apis the Cleric's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/03/2006 03:37 AM CST
It should go without saying that none of us signed up to be furries 24/7. I picked rakash because I like the transformation.
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/03/2006 05:44 AM CST
I would love to get a warning about the change. I could see it being something we just innately have or something that we gain as we gain more perception (and for moon mages astrology) or some combination of both. It would be nice if enough discipline could let us delay a change or hold a form for a while.

I know my Rakash would love to have an enchanted item to stay in moonskin. As a player I am sitting on the fence. I'm thinking discipline should play a role as well as md in being able to use it. I'm also thinking there should be a cost/draim for using it that limits how long it will work for any one player and/or a time limit based on situation specifics (like how far out of phase Katamba is, injuries, md, discipline, activity, skill of the moon mage who made it, etc). I'm also wondering if such an item should be a one time thing or rechargable.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/03/2006 10:28 AM CST
Alright...

I play a Prydaen for the history, and the rich role play. Not to be a 24/7 furry. If you think being in your TRUE FORM is an inconvenience and a waste of energy, then by all means, shun Mrod's gifts.

Second, Mrod is a Herald, not an Immortal. As a Herald, his power can be focused Magically. If he allows his power to be channeled so, then it is his gift. As Mrod's power is channeled through Katamba, it is Celestial strength and so can be summoned through a Celestial tug on Katamba.

i.e.

If I use Katamba to create a shadow of Old Katamba, Mrod is allowing it by letting his essence be transferred that way.

Mrod isn't a vengeful, hateful god who punishes his Chosen because the upstart Immortals crippled him. No, he was crippled by the upstart Immortals and lost his strength to keep his Chosen in their True Form. Perhaps by reviving the Rakash to their True Glory, Mrod can be strengthed and clense his Throne of it's dark shadow.

Which in turn will show us all the former beauty of Katamba.

Fateweaver Meerc
_______
To glisten once again
______
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/03/2006 11:23 AM CST
[reads Meerc's post]

It's too early for theology.

Amagaim; the player of,

"Tired of the eternal efforts to fight our way through raw matter, we chose another way and sought to embrace the infinite. We went inside ourselves and created a new world."
--- Henrik Steffens
Re: rakash moonskin all the time 03/03/2006 11:45 AM CST
>I play a Prydaen for the history, and the rich role play. Not to be a 24/7 furry. If you think being in your TRUE FORM is an inconvenience and a waste of energy, then by all means, shun Mrod's gifts.

Good for you. Not sure who the inconvenience thing was pointed at, but most players I know who have Rakash as their primary characters like them the way they are, myself included. The only thing most of us want is to be given some sort of warning before change.

>Second, Mrod is a Herald, not an Immortal. As a Herald, his power can be focused Magically. If he allows his power to be channeled so, then it is his gift. As Mrod's power is channeled through Katamba, it is Celestial strength and so can be summoned through a Celestial tug on Katamba.

Care to share sources for that, please? I have yet to read anything on the site or in our books which would support this, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to know. This however, won't stop my Rakash PC from considering Mrod a god, and nothing less.

>Mrod isn't a vengeful, hateful god who punishes his Chosen because the upstart Immortals crippled him. No, he was crippled by the upstart Immortals and lost his strength to keep his Chosen in their True Form. Perhaps by reviving the Rakash to their True Glory, Mrod can be strengthed and clense his Throne of it's dark shadow.

I don't remember anyone trying to make Mrod out as a vengeful, hateful god... again, not sure where you're pullin' this from. If you're referring to my statement that my PC would take it as an affront to Mrod and have nothing to do with it, then I believe you took it out of context.

As a player, I just don't want to see it done because of the well known effect it would have, ie. too many Puppykin McSnuggle doggies running around, much like the innummerable Foofrofuzzypaw Prydaens that I've met over the years. Take from that what you will, YMMV, and all that jazz.

If the GMs decide it's cool, so be it.

-Vorgahf

The last time Mr. T went to McDonald's, Ronald McDonald greeted him. What occured next proved to be the most violent beating of a clown ever recorded in human history.