Prev_page Previous 1
People who don't know how to RP 08/06/2004 07:44 AM CDT
Having had a run-in with a prydaen named Skratchy earlier today, I really have to put forward a suggestion related to the squelching of future problems of this nature--why not have a little OOC blurb added in about RPing the race when you touch or look at a statue? I don't think people understand that it demeans the animalistic races as a whole when someone picks a name like Viperman or Wolfpack.

Also, I've seen far too many elotheans who knew NOTHING of the houses, and plenty of Elves who were similarly uneducated about the clans.

While DR has never been a total RP environment, it ruins it for some of us when we run into people like this.

Just a thought/complaint/suggestion,

--Kahvan
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/06/2004 09:27 AM CDT
When you touch the statue it tells you about the race....

It is unfortunate, but you are going to get folks that are not going to spend time researching a background as deeply as those who wish to RP the full potential of thier characters..

Lt. Maxxwel Lightish of the Zoluren Phoenix

The Zoluren Phoenix is recruiting. Contact me at MaxxwelDR to find out how to join us.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/06/2004 11:26 AM CDT
its not a necessity to RP to know about your race. I play an elf who doesnt know much about clans but does that make me a bad RPer? no it just makes my charecter unkowledgeable about clans. theres many ways to RP though do not think i am defending a bad name choice, cause i am not, i think that blanket statements about RP are uncalled for. theres many different ways to RP. Have a nice day.

Verbal
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/06/2004 02:10 PM CDT
Ahh, but if you play your character consistantly as unknowledgable of elven tradition, you are indeed RPing!

Lt. Maxxwel Lightish of the Zoluren Phoenix

The Zoluren Phoenix is recruiting. Contact me at MaxxwelDR to find out how to join us.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/06/2004 02:17 PM CDT
two points for me! "Huzzah"

Verbal
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/06/2004 04:24 PM CDT
I have to agree, simple lack of knowledge can be excused, because regardless of how stringent your standards may be, someone might have, gasp, wanted to be an elf without doing 5 days of research on them. And, in all honesty, I don't think it would take less than that. These uneducated people? Probably noobies. We were all there. Sure, some of us started off better than others, but still. Overall, I do think there needs to be OOC blurbs added to tell people that Prydean's are not cats, s'kras are not snakes, Rakash are not dogs or wolfmen. And as far as a race not knowing it's house/clan/etc? That's a difficult thing to actually know, since it's not anywhere in the generator or in a guild leader's speech or, as far as I know, the public library in Crossing. I mean, I've been playing off and on for 3 or 4 years, and really just found out this year about houses and clans and such (except dwarves, that's a given. Stone clan's a tipper)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=schlep
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/06/2004 04:30 PM CDT
Who signs up for DR without reading the web site info, though? That would seem to clear up a lot of the confusion on Prydaens, etc. Maybe just add a bit more info to the web site (clans, houses, whatever).

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/06/2004 06:18 PM CDT
There are books in the library about Elven clans, Elothean houses, Human clans, etc.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/07/2004 01:10 AM CDT
I have copies upo copies of notes on dwarven clans, even thought I think dwarves may be some of the better RPed players of the realms, I have not often seen bad dwarven RP..... just the other day I alsomst came to blows with a mountain elf(an amasing RPer by the by) over an in game in charater completely RPed dispute.... some of the most fun I've ever had!

Roughneck Deagar
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/07/2004 09:31 AM CDT
<<I have not often seen bad dwarven RP>>

Eh, it varies. For better or for worse, the individuals that were originally in control of the Stone Clan Militia had an unfortunate tendency to deviate from the "norms" of Dwarven RP, which, unfortunately, meant that they influenced other Dwarves.

And before anyone flames me, just remember three things:

-Hege shaved his beard.
-Hege married an Elf.
-"Nekkid beer dance."

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/07/2004 03:27 PM CDT
Do dwarves refer to themselves as 'dwarves'? If so, why? Wouldn't the term 'dwarf' be a matter of perspective, in this case the perspective of the larger races?

~The player of Nevynral
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/08/2004 07:08 PM CDT
The term "Dwarf" in real life comes from ancient norse mythology, tiny creatures called "Dwarves" lived outside of Midgard.

Little people in DR aren't called dwarves (unless they're mistaken for them) because the term does not mean that there.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/10/2004 07:48 PM CDT
I am dwarf hear me roar! yeah in DR Dwarf doesn't mean small, it is the name of the race, also, as for "Bad" dwarven RP, there are Many clans, some more social than others, also the marrying an elf thing aint that bad, some of my best friends are elves, granted a few of them ACT like dwarves because I rubbed off on them! but anyway, we don't want Cookie cutter characters based on race, so if you loosely base your RP on the clan history but add your own flair it makes for great RP!

Roughneck Deagar
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/11/2004 11:06 PM CDT
When I first started playing long ago, I had no clue what it meant to touch the 'Elothean' statue. Getting into the game, figuring out the commands... I ended up in the library somehow, and it was quite an experience to see what House she had been born into without my realizing it. It became the basis of my RP for her, and actually enhanced my experience of the game. So, sometimes... it's nice to leap in and see what happens.

~Mystyria
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/15/2004 02:21 PM CDT
>When I first started playing long ago, I had no clue what it meant to touch the 'Elothean' statue. Getting into the game, figuring out the commands... I ended up in the library somehow, and it was quite an experience to see what House she had been born into without my realizing it. It became the basis of my RP for her, and actually enhanced my experience of the game. So, sometimes... it's nice to leap in and see what happens.<

Uhhh... yeah, I did the same thing when I first started playing (different character). Except I ended up past the brook, and got owned by an ogre.

~ Renous
______
I must go down to the seas again
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way
where the wind's like a whetted knife
Re: People who don't know how to RP 03/31/2005 07:49 AM CST
For my sins, Dverga doesn't often speak in the Geordie/Scots/Norfolk Broads patois that seems to be consistent with Dwarven roleplay.

Maybe some of those lessons he's picked up in the empath's guild involved elocution?
Re: People who don't know how to RP 04/17/2005 05:20 PM CDT
Dwarves speak with a geordie accent sometimes? hrm gotta keep my eyes open for that, as I am a geordie myself... allthough I have noticed quite a bit of scottish accent sneaking in.

Gilvore Sneaksie-Sasiknak.
The parrot sings in a scratchy voice:

"Rissan girls, they have no combs
... Heave away, haul away...
They comb their hair with cod-fish bones
... Heave away, haul away home!"
Re: People who don't know how to RP 04/17/2005 05:45 PM CDT
What I absolutely loathe is S'kra speaking with the HISS verb, because they think that's how we speak.

...Well, it's not. It's been said by Ellerina that a S'kra hissing English - 'common' - is like a lisp for us. Or a purposefully disrespectful way of speaking.

XP Don't speak with a lisp, unless you WANT to be treated like a hick! >:D

~Aleximarus
Re: People who don't know how to RP 04/18/2005 08:37 AM CDT
>XP Don't speak with a lisp, unless you WANT to be treated like a hick!

Or make someone think you're from Spain.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 05/26/2005 01:12 PM CDT
>Or make someone think you're from Spain.

Thasst Cassstilian to you.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 06/06/2005 10:03 PM CDT
Then why is Hiss especially designed for S'kras' to use as a racial verb... if it is not mean to speak in a hissing manner (for those who did not learn to speak without thier racial accent)

and as far as not owning up to a house or clan for other races...who says they even came from the 'known' continents of Elanthia...yes I am sure there are 'Unknown' places and islands where chars can say they orgiginated from. yeah there are new hunting areas/places that are coming out every so often to accomidate the higher circles.. so whos ta say there are no other continents/places we dont know about in Elanthia ?

Now if you wanna talk about people not knowing how to RP focus on the individuals that say things like OMG... not the whole thing spelled out but OMG or JK... or the all popular LOL... or talking indepth ICly about the coding and how best to manipulate the Mechs of the game..speaking...at least most of them think, in an IC fashion.. seeing nothing wrong with talking aloud about percentages and the best way to utilize a hunting script...

More and more I see convos like this out in 'public', I just thank the gods I dont use gweths ... I think its generated by the turnover and lack of actual careing about RP and the feeling that hack-N-slash is what is means to RP
I mean so many systems are getting so ' realistic ' and complicated people just dont seem to care about trying to keep things IC in game, but rather how to get the 'edge' on a new system so they can PvP someone else to death.. leaving actually caring to stay within the theme of DR... something most cant afford...or Feel they cant afford. if they wanna be the 'best'

~ shrugs ~

~jes felt like rambling :P
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/28/2005 12:02 PM CDT
its always been like that.
If all DR had was RP, there would be 20-30 people on at all
The technical side is fun, the mechanics are fun, the fighting is fun
RP is fun, but RP runs equally with the mechanics as far as fun factor in my point of view.

Then there are people who don't try, and use the act verb like its going out of style to be OOC IE: (Retardman pwndz yu)
that garbage has got to go, i'd rather have people cursing than having children read that trash.

Sentai.
The O.G.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/28/2005 07:03 PM CDT
I can actually sort of handle the annoying OOCness in ACT...What bugs me is what people from other MU*s I've played call "twinking": Forcing emotions or actions on another character. Or even performing an action on another character without the player's implied permission.

At a recent mentor event, someone used ACT to sneak up behind my character and pull her dress down over her rump (implying she'd forgotten to pull the dress on completely herself).

I was torn between telling them to learn how to RP properly in whispers or killing their character for being an utter twit.

I just left the event early instead, simply because (sadly) some/most people I've come across think what this person did would be stellar roleplay and a wonderful use of the ACT verb.

At least with OOCness in ACT, you can report it. You can't do a damn thing about twinks.

Rev. Reene, player of a few
"Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." - Mae West
Re: People who don't know how to RP 08/31/2005 12:24 AM CDT
I've met also people that think rp is being technically competent in the use of obscure verbs or in being able to pull off cute little grammatically correct things using smile and act. All to often such people ignore the niceties of developing a character concept and trying to act in keeping with that concept, though this is basic to any sort of rp.

I don't agree that mere technical skill with the verbs is rp any more than I agree that the person that delivers a play piano perfect rendition of a piece of music someone else wrote is necessarily a good musician in their own right. All this demonstrates is techinical competance in my eyes, not an artistic talent.

RP is an art form. Certainly technical competance can lend a hand in pulling off an rp well. But I have seen very good rp done by those with just a basic knowledge of all the verbs available and what is possible to do with them.

Not everyone knows how to actually rp, however. In addition, some people really get into the technical aspects of the game and are not here to rp.

Different people are here for different reasons.

For the most part, all I ask is that they don't impose their 'rp' on me without my permission. I choose who I wish to interact with and what I regard as enjoyable 'rp'.

However, that said, each of my characters has their own personality and reasons for doing what they do. I've tried to research the race, the pertinant histories, the guild, created a character concept, outfited in keeping with concept to the best they can afford, and so on. Basically, I've put alot of work into making that character.

It really annoys me when people confuse the player with the character and think that just because one of my characters will do something one way, they all will. So, I also ask that people not bring OOC stuff in and impose it on my character and call it rp.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/22/2005 03:44 PM CDT
My most recent, but still growing RP peeve is teh people who have a dozen characters who, while they stay IC in general the IC is all teh SAME. Including knowing and being involved in everything the other cahracters are involved in. Bah. A true role means being a different person, not another shell to hodl the soul.

You all know the types I mean. The ones that walk one character and immediately roll another with a similar stupid name, have the same 'mother' all the same friends, and get a commision in the military as a sergent at circle 2, just because of their 'rp' (couhg) buddies.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/22/2005 06:52 PM CDT
Is that better or worse than the people who play concurrent characters all as the same person?

ThiefBob snuggles up with WifeyElf.
ThiefBob says, "Okay, back in a sec."
WifeyElf waves.
ThiefBob just left.
BarbJoe arrives.
BarbJoe snuggles up with WifeyElf.
BarbJoe says, "Hello, Wifey."

Darn parallel-universe duplicates spilling over into our reality! Just say 'no' to wormholes! Sign the petition!

Arcelebor

PSA - Sakhar's definition of RP is erroneous
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/23/2005 04:05 AM CDT
As bad as the people that become furious if one of your characters acts one way in keeping with their rp and another character acts in a different manner in keeping with that rp, like the player had in some way lied to them.

There is a very nice discussion in the Plat Folder available to all about the difference between player to player interactions and character to character interactions.

I try though to just do my own thing and let each of my characters have their own stories. Though this does not mean that the stories will never over lap, or that some characters may not react in the same way to some things.

Being individual characters does not mean they have to be polar opposites. In fact, some might even have some of the same friends and dislike some of the same people.

It's just that they don't have to have the same friends either. It is not lying if one of my characters might likes a character that another of my characters hates. This has nothing to do with the player. Likewise, any one of my characters might like one player's characer and actively dislike anther of that same player's characters. It's called rp.

RP does mean that you take the time to develop a character concept and history for each and play the character in keeping with that. These should be unique, not carbon copies of each other.

It helps to research your character's race and the history of the realms. It helps to go to a gaming store and get a few books and read the sections on making up character histories and fleshing out your character. There are also all sorts of sites out there about rp games and how to make unique and complex characters.

Some of them have list of helpful questions to ask yourself in developing a character history. Some of them even have listings of quirks and other traits that might help you come up with unique concepts.

I have often wished that DR had a way to select such things as quirks as optional character features and have those actually impact our automatic reactions the way demeanor does. It might help some people learn to rp. The rest of us could have fun with it, along the lines of having demeanor, scent, and shift available.

In the meantime, I try to not let those that cannot tell the difference between a character and a player and a game and reality destroy it for me. I figure it's their loss. They are missing out on most of the fun of a rp game. I refuse to spend my limited time being a member of the rp police. I am not really into telling other people how to play this game. I am here to have fun with my characters.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/23/2005 07:06 AM CDT
Well said, Drakewarlord.

Thillieir, Prophet of G'nar Peth

J'aime le bebe.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/23/2005 09:00 PM CDT
>DRAKEWARLORD's post

Wish everyone would read this, thank you for the post.

~Skylira Mer'Luna~
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/27/2005 11:12 PM CDT
For all those interested in racial RP...

I'm working on a website, at this very moment, which is to be the end-all be-all(I hope) of DR info for, geared towards new players.

I could definately use some help gathering information on different races. Culture, origins, etc etc. Take a look at the Prydaen section for the kind of info I'm tryin to put together.

Anything at all will be appreciated, just send it in the body of an email(attachments will be deleted) to meerc@fateweaver.net

Webmaster of Fate, Meerc

What contemptable scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?
- W.C. Fields
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/27/2005 11:12 PM CDT
Oh sorry, the site is:

http://www.fateweaver.net

Webmaster of Fate, Meerc

- W.C. Fields
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 12:02 AM CDT
There's actually 4 deities in the prydaen pantheon, I believe. You have the three "normal" gods of Eu, Demmris, and Tenemlor, which each take a spoke on the Wheel of Life (Life, Death, and Balance/Nature). You also have a "supergod" that are all three combined, with a long name that's basically a conjunction of the three names and commonly shortened to Eu. Prydaens are supposed to clearly understand which god you mean when you refer to Eu.

At least, that's what I got from browsing clawandfang.com. Lots of Prydaen info is there for the taking and all the Prydaen agree that it's a good thing to get more people talking about us (people should always be talking about important things.)

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 12:11 AM CDT
I thought there was only Tenemlor, Demrris, and Eu-Demrris-Tenemlor. I could be wrong, though, as I don't play a Prydaen.

Thillieir, Prophet of G'nar Peth

J'aime le bebe.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 12:14 AM CDT
In a way, yes, in a way, no...

Eu simply, for the most part, is raw existance and nature. Eu is simply Eu. Demrris and Tenemlor serve their roles. The "Supergod" you speak of isn't a seperate entity as much as the Three together.

At least, that's my take on it...

As for clawandfang, I refuse to visit their since a snippy email from Vein and a refusal to reply about how to handle a certain incident. As it turns out, the verb list that was sent to me came streight off clawandfang - so I unwittingly posted it. Of couse, this in turn led to quite the slanderous little email. When I returned with an appology and several different options, I never received a reply to it. So, if she don't wanna talk about it, let her site rot, and I'll keep what I have as it is.

Webmaster of Fate, Meerc

- W.C. Fields
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 01:13 AM CDT
I tend to interpret it to mean that Eu is existence/Tao/God-Itself

That Demrris and Tenemlor are 'interpretations' (not so much avatars) of Eu. Though avatars is an appropriate way to put it.

And when Eu Eu's self (never he/she/it) decides to muster togethers Eu's conciousness, Eu appears in the form of Eu-Demrris-Tenemlor..

Sort of like, Eu can't appear, since Eu can't really manifest.. Much like if God in Christian-Judeo ideas were to appear, it would break man's brain. They can't gaze on God's actual form. Indeed, every time you see/hear God in the Bible, it's actually an Angel.. The Metatron I believe? Mispelling perhaps, don't care to check..

So, yeah... I dunno. That's how I've interpretted it.

And when one says "Eu" they of course mean the Tri-form, because, Eu Eu's self can't appear in reality, since reality can't contain Eu

It's regretful that the most common type of person in this world is someone small, in a big chair.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 01:35 AM CDT
<<And when one says "Eu" they of course mean the Tri-form, because, Eu Eu's self can't appear in reality, since reality can't contain Eu>>

Well, when one says that they've seen or been visited by Eu, they're referring to Eu-Demrris-Tenemlor. Not necessarily all references refer to the triple god.

Additionally, Eu is the Prydaen language word for nature. It's quite fair to say that Eu is nature, and the natural world.

I think I would consider Eu to be the world and the things in it, and Demrris and Tenemlor to be the regulators of that world (Demrris being life, Tenemlor being death). In that way, Eu (singular) would not be all-of-existence, but Eu-Demrris-Tenemlor would be. I like to consider the Three to each be particular mutually-exclusive aspects of the triplicate, and if Eu is "everything" then Eu would include Demrris and Tenemlor.

However, my views are obviously my own opinion, because there's sadly little canon on the finer points of Prydaen religion... Of course, the Prydaens themselves probably have these sorts of debates all the time.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 07:07 AM CDT
"Additionally, Eu is the Prydaen language word for nature. It's quite fair to say that Eu is nature, and the natural world."

Exactly. When Meerc describes Eu, he sounds very much like Morpheus telling Neo about the Matrix. I tend to think of Eu as "Mother Nature"

- W.C. Fields
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 07:33 AM CDT
>As for clawandfang, I refuse to visit their since a snippy email from Vein and a refusal to reply about how to handle a certain incident. As it turns out, the verb list that was sent to me came streight off clawandfang - so I unwittingly posted it. Of couse, this in turn led to quite the slanderous little email. When I returned with an appology and several different options, I never received a reply to it. So, if she don't wanna talk about it, let her site rot, and I'll keep what I have as it is.

Meerc,

When it was called to my attention that part of your website was taken word for word from my website, you betcha I got snippy. I put a lot of time into that thing. However, I NEVER received any sort of email from you in reply to my initial email. If you sent something, I didn't get it. I assumed you weren't interested in giving fair credit for research done and I got over it. If thats not the case, please feel free to re-send your email if you like.

http://www.clawandfang.com
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 08:02 AM CDT
Certainly, Vein, I sent an explanation and an offer on several ways for me to go about it. I'm not ashamed to discuss them here, if something's wonky with either of our servers. I'll resend the email, if I can find it(I may have reformatted since then) and if you don't get it feel free to IM me at Fateweaver Meerc for a more live discussion. If all else fails, the boards work.

In short though, as I said before, the Prydaen verb list on my site is taken ver batim(sp?) off of clawandfang. Also, like I said, I never received an email in return to my reply, so assumed you either a) didn't care or b) were too snotty to actually want to deal with it. Didn't occur to me that maybe the message had gotten lost somewhere. My bad!

aaand sent!

Webmaster of Fate, Meerc

- W.C. Fields
Re: People who don't know how to RP 09/28/2005 03:49 PM CDT
<< Exactly. When Meerc describes Eu, he sounds very much like Morpheus telling Neo about the Matrix.

Must...stop...cross-genre...vision...

>sit chair
You sit down on a plush leather chair.
>'What is Eu?
You ask, "What is Eu?"
Meerc says, "Eu is all around you. It is with you when you go to hunt, when you go to shop, when you pay your debts. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."
>raise eye
You raise your eyebrow.
>'What truth?
You ask, "What truth?"
Meerc says, "That you are a geek, born into geekihood."
Meerc sighs.
Meerc says, "Unfortunately, no one can be told what Eu is. They have to see it for themselves.
Meerc leans forward.
>whisper meerc How do you lean forward?
You whisper to Meerc.
Meerc says, "Two choices."
Meercs taps a blue pill in his left hand.
Meerc says, "You take the blue pill, you wake up in the Town Green and believe whatever you want to believe."
>ponder
You ponder.
Meerc taps a red pill in his right hand.
Meerc says, "You take the red pill...and I show you just how deep Silverwater Mine goes."
>'I'll take the red pill.
You say, "I'll take the red pill."
Meerc offers you a red pill. Type ACCEPT to recieve this item. The offer will expire in 30 seconds.
>accept
You accept Meerc's offer and are now holding a red pill.
Meerc says, "Remember, I only offer the truth."
>eat my pill
eat my pill
look

* Disconnected from the game. You will need to login again to continue playing.

Arcelebor

PSA - Sakhara's definition of RP is erroneous
Prev_page Previous 1