Just curious... 03/30/2004 01:55 AM CST
I am curious why Prydaen have a very weak bite. What makes us different then Rakash... I don't understand every time I bite, I get glancing/light hits, against something that is so far below me.

2-3 claws its sliced in half, but when I bite, I might as well set a camp fire and stay the whole night because even an unarmed goblin, takes forever to kill it...

Geuno Krysuntaye - Making a come back...

http://www.ryananime.freeservers.com/Story.html Life in Dragon Realms. (InsightfulWaZn - Tell me what you think so far)
Re: Just curious... 03/30/2004 02:01 AM CST
<<I am curious why Prydaen have a very weak bite. What makes us different then Rakash... >>

Maybe because traditionally, a cat's claws are deadly and a wolf's bite is just as powerful.

Traits differ in Rakash and Prydaen (Rakash being more 'wolflike', Prys being more 'catlike'). Consider the difference between a bite from a wolf, and a bite from a cat (even if the cat is a cougar, etc), and the difference between being clawed by that wolf or cat.

Re: Just curious... 03/30/2004 11:00 PM CST
<<I am curious why Prydaen have a very weak bite. What makes us different then Rakash... I don't understand every time I bite, I get glancing/light hits, against something that is so far below me.

What Gim said, but also because Lions and the other big cats don't really kill with their bites. They just get a good grip on you with their mouths and then rake the the hell out of you with their claws while they have you pinned down.

-Berserker Sigmer Heldnhammer-
God Hates A Coward
Re: Just curious... 03/31/2004 12:20 AM CST
>What Gim said, but also because Lions and the other big cats don't really kill with their bites. They just get a good grip on you with their mouths and then rake the the hell out of you with their claws while they have you pinned down.

That's not true, actually. The lion uses its bite to cut of the windpipe so the animal essentially suffocates. The tiger, on the other hand, uses its bite to literally break the neck of its prey.

Saw all that on Lion vs Tiger on the Discovery Channel. Interesting show, though I still think the Tiger would have won.

Qreyq

Come to the Packhouse!
http://packhouse.home.comcast.net----
Re: Just curious... 03/31/2004 01:23 AM CST
Meh. thats what happens when all my science info comes from CSI :) Could have sworn that one of the big cats does kill most of its prey primarily with its claws. If anyone remebers the episode of CSI i am talking about remind me. I think its the one with the chick with Prophyria(sp?) where she uses her great dane to kill people. Or its entirely possible I'm going insane.

-Berserker Sigmer Heldnhammer-
God Hates A Coward
Re: Just curious... 03/31/2004 10:09 AM CST
Big cats all kill primarily with their scary scary claws. They'll run after a gizelle or antelope for example and swipe at their hindlegs so hard that they break bone and shear the flesh off, and then when the animal is a bloody gimp they'll clasp onto their neck with their mouth and close their windpipe while they tear into their chest or back with their claws.

The jaw is just their to have them hold on while they claw, a human could close a gizelle's windpipe with just their gums, they bite hard but the claws aren't that sharp compared to the razors slashing at the rest of the body.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

That's why it's called a shortcut; if it was easy it would just be "The Way"
Re: Just curious... 04/03/2004 12:56 PM CST
Ok, first off, the only part that does with clawing is when they are trying to bring down their food. After that, its a bite to the neck, and they sit there, until the animal is dead, no clawing... I have seen over 6 feline animals do all the same thing. They don't claw while they bite, or anything.

I guess i can't have everything, but I consider Geuno as a Tiger... NOW I WANT TO BITE! =*(

http://www.ryananime.freeservers.com/Story.html Life in Dragon Realms. (InsightfulWaZn - Tell me what you think so far)
Re: Just curious... 04/06/2004 06:05 PM CDT
Feel free to bite :-) Just not as good as a Rakash :-)

>NOW I WANT TO BITE

Prydaen are more claw orientated.

Shakahn

Thieves respect property; they merely wish the property to become their property that they may more perfectly respect it.
-- (The Man Who Was Thursday, 1908)
Re: Just curious... 04/07/2004 09:55 PM CDT
Well I don't doubt we are more "claw" then bite, but wow, I feel like I am biting as though I had no teeth... I am "gumming" the victim... Come on now... Really...

>l ram

You see a meadow ram.
The meadow ram is in good shape.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

No armor... Its so far below me, its just pathetic....

A meadow ram (1: badly balanced) is wrestling you at melee range.
You (solidly balanced) are wrestling a meadow ram (1) at melee range.

I shoved it to its Knee's, and then grabbed it to prevent it from standing. Now, lets take a look at the bite.

>bite neck
< You bite your teeth at a meadow ram's neck, hitting it with a light strike.
[You're solidly balanced and in very strong position.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
>
bite neck
< You bite your teeth awkwardly at a meadow ram's body, hitting it with a grazing strike.
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

>bite neck
< You bite your teeth awkwardly at a meadow ram's body, hitting it with a grazing strike.
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

>bite neck
>< You bite your teeth awkwardly at a meadow ram's body, hitting it with a grazing strike.
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
>
bite neck
>< You bite your teeth awkwardly at a meadow ram's body, hitting it with a grazing strike.
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

30 Strength... Now tell me, are prydaens old men, with no teeth?

Re: Just curious... 04/08/2004 03:36 AM CDT
Just FYI, the Rakash bite "bonus" is our ability to do it ungrappled while in moonskin. If there is a bonus to damage in that bite, it's only useable for 1 day out of 10.

Qreyq

Come to the Packhouse!
Re: Just curious... 04/10/2004 02:24 AM CDT
Something else to consider is that, if the bonus to bite was added to your race, you would have unparralleled mastery of Brawling, cause, you know, the TWO bonuses, when most races don't even have claws. More OOC, but then again it's something to consider.

Why the blazes do I smell like sulphur?
Re: Just curious... 04/10/2004 04:00 AM CDT
even those of us that do have claws don't always get a bonus to brawling. We S'Kra certainly don't.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Just curious... 04/10/2004 05:47 AM CDT
>even those of us that do have claws don't always get a bonus to brawling. We S'Kra certainly don't.

I thought that, culturally, S'kra filed their claws down?

And Rakash have claws, too, when in moonskin. Big ones, but no claw bonus for us.

Maybe that stuff will be possible under the racial feats system?

Sgt. Qreyq
Baron's Own Militia

Come to the Packhouse!
Re: Just curious... 04/10/2004 07:51 AM CDT
<<And Rakash have claws, too, when in moonskin. Big ones, but no claw bonus for us.>>

True, again though, compare a 'wolf's' claws to any type of 'cat's' claws.

Cat's are considerably sharper. Never heard of a wolf-type anything using claws to help it kill.

Re: Just curious... 04/10/2004 03:13 PM CDT
>Cat's are considerably sharper. Never heard of a wolf-type anything using claws to help it kill.

Ah, but they're not wolf claws. Granted, they're not hooked like a cat or a Prydaen's might be, but they're long and razor sharp.

I'm not asking for Rakash to be suddenly given a claw bonus, or saying it's unfair that we don't have one, or anything like that. I'm just saying that it would be a nifty feat to buy under the coming racial feats system.

Sgt. Qreyq
Baron's Own Militia

Come to the Packhouse!
Re: Just curious... 04/10/2004 09:53 PM CDT
I am not asking that we become uber biters... But dear god, come on, can you at least give us a +1 to bite... I feel like I am gumming my victim to death...

Bite:
Rakash +3
Prydaen +1

Claw:
Rakash +1
Prydaen +3

Re: Just curious... 04/11/2004 12:16 AM CDT
S'Kra have fangs as well, give us a small bonus to "bite". Yes, most S'Kra file their claws. We don't file our fangs though. :-)

Schvartzgonif curls back her lips to display her fangs briefly.

Schvartzgonif clicks her fangs together thoughtfully.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack