Hatin on the Humans 08/15/2003 06:18 PM CDT
While I see the relieving of burden as a good thing for races like the Gnomes, I don't understand why encumbrance for all 11 races was changed. As player of a Human, I had always looked on encumbrance as one of the few bonuses to playing our race. We may not get any modifiers to stats, but we are able to differentiate ourselves from the two most physically similar races (Elves & Elotheans) because of our ability to carry more without being burdened. Tessima and Ellerina posted saying the change was about "balance," but with the planned implementation of the Racial Feats system designed to remove balance from the 11 races, I don't see this as a viable reason to move encumbrance closer to the center. Tessima and Ellerina, please enlighten me.

~Thilan
Re: Hatin on the Humans 08/15/2003 06:21 PM CDT
GMs stated that the modifier wasn't changed at all for Humans, and I haven't done any testing, but I haven't noticed a huge change to my Enc as an Elothean. Still seems to me that Starsha can carry less than my Human character.

~Celebrant Starsha Chracco
Follower of Glythtide and Meraud
Speaker of the Fyearikloa'i Rensh'a

http://www.bakshiloa.com
starsha@bakshiloa.com
Re: Hatin on the Humans 08/16/2003 01:44 AM CDT
<<Tessima and Ellerina, please enlighten me.>>

Well, first, I would have to disagree with the implementation of Racial Feats being intended "to remove balance from the 11 races". Not true at all. Balance will remain, but it will be a matter of orthagonal comparison -- apples to oranges. Encumbrance is strictly apples-to-apples, and the way it previously worked didn't make any darned sense in the degree to which it was implemented. There were races that were absurdly imbalanced with regard to encumbrance, and races that were absurdly benefited by the encumbrance modifiers. This is no comparison to the racial feats system, which will be a matter of penalties and balances spread across an individual race, not an array of penalties and balances spread across ALL races in an imbalanced fashion.

Burden is also one of many differences between Humans, Elves, and Elotheans. That difference remains. However, I don't know that I would even consider it a major point of comparison. Humans, because they live shorter lives, tend to live more intensely, and with more passion than the two races you compare them to. Their culture is fundamentally and drastically different.

Hope that this clarifies your concerns.

--Ellerina

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
-- Walt Disney
Re: Hatin on the Humans 08/16/2003 03:18 AM CDT
I personally don't see the need for intra-system balancing in things like this. Guilds aren't balanced and aren't meant to be balanced. Careers won't be balanced. Why the race system needs balance is beyond me.

Let's take this opportunity to note that I mean the multiple-race system, not individual races. I see and agree with the need for each race's plus-to-minus ratio to equal zero. I just don't see the point in balancing one system while other systems say, "Ha! No balancing for you!"

I've always been of the opinion that balance (should/could/does) comes into play when the player in question chooses one from whatever system he's choosing from (guild/race/career [at some later date]/etc), and the factors that are balanced are the attributes of said choice (stat modifiers, spell sets, etc) vs. what the player really really wants.

~I.B.

Best. Order. Ever.
http://www.bakshiloa.com
Re: Hatin on the Humans 08/18/2003 05:36 PM CDT
While encumberance still has some notable bugs remaining, the system is vastly more improved then before. Other races are now more playable with their encumberance, things have been brought in line and the 'Tog stats are now equal. This will now reduce the effectiveness of mules (many of whom were 'Togs). The change was the best thing to happen to HSN. Some people lost some encumberance potential that they had before - well, they had equalized stat modifiers AND an encumberance bonus for MANY years. If something is an issue, things can be changed. Things were changed, now things are more playable then before. :)

-Private Smacks

Solomoooo exclaims, "You will RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!"

SMACK

Solomoooo exclaims, "And that's what happens when people do not listen to mah AUTHORITAH!"
Re: Hatin on the Humans 08/18/2003 08:21 PM CDT
<<There were races that were absurdly imbalanced with regard to encumbrance, and races that were absurdly benefited by the encumbrance modifiers.>>

When you play a character that's the size of a soda bottle, it's kinda rediculous to ask for reductions to the burden system, eh?

--Kahvan
Re: Hatin on the Humans 08/27/2003 12:44 PM CDT
I think you may have misunderstood the problem with burden. As a smaller race, it already cost a lot more TDPs to get the same strength, but in having the same strength a gnome was SIX times weaker (5 stones per strength) than a Gor'Tog with the same strength (30 stones per strength). Applying that logic in another area, a Gor'Tog would have needed about 80 intelligence and spend about 12,500 TDPs to get the same benefit a gnome starts with at 14 intelligence.

Thankfully the problem has been fixed. A complaint I have now is that you yell in common. I don't like that, role-playing a character that doesn't speak common.