Why can't I move my ears? 12/18/2002 08:08 PM CST
I can't even do anything with my ears, I don't have a tail, I can't hail someone in a specific greeting for my race, and nobody knows what a River Elf is when I say that's what I am.

Can we elves get some social verbs? We're not just pointy-eared humans. Kaldar who are basically just robust humans have a hail verb which is primarily their own deal. Can't we something similarly culture related at least? S'Kra and Prydaen have a bazillion racially related actions, and not far behind that you have the Rakash.

The other races all have their own verbs (for the most part), and it's just a really big bummer that elves don't. If there are these verbs available, verb pages need to update. Seems like all the pages I visit are from the great migration.
Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/18/2002 08:11 PM CST
>I can't even do anything with my ears, I don't have a tail, I can't hail someone in a specific greeting >for my race, and nobody knows what a River Elf is when I say that's what I am.

I think it would be really demeaning for an Elf to wiggle their ears, personally, and I know there was a HUGE discussion about this a while back when the BLUSH verb for Elves came about. I do agree that we as Elves need more racial verbs - as of right now what do we have? BLUSH and SHAKE (with another Elf) and we can't SNAP. But I can't ever think of any racial verbs that we should have, got any suggestions?

Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/18/2002 08:26 PM CST
I agree, it -would- be demeaning for an elf to wiggle their ears, in general, but my point was that I would like to be able to do anything at this point.

Perhaps they could move their hair behind their ears, or their ears could perk up slightly with alertness (we humans do this, it's just not as noticable with our tiny little ears..) like the prydaen "ear alert" verb. Or they could have a different dancing abilities (where's that innate grace when you need it?).

It doesn't have to be something useful, I'd just like to be a little more culturally distinct with my character. It seems like all of the other races got this added touch, but the elves were not.

-Ephialtes
Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/18/2002 08:28 PM CST
< as of right now what do we have? BLUSH and SHAKE (with another Elf) and we can't SNAP. >

Yeah... about snapping... why exactly can't we do it?

Q
Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/18/2002 08:34 PM CST
Perhaps make it more head movements than ear movements, such as "JoeElf tilts his head slightly, listening alertly." or something like that
Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/18/2002 08:36 PM CST
Apparently, SNAPPING is vulgar to Elves, being a human thing. Personally, I wish I could snap, as an Elf, but I don't know that the demand for a Elves to SNAP is that great. shrug

Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/18/2002 08:40 PM CST
<Yeah... about snapping... why exactly can't we do it?>

Apparently it's vulgar. We could have a whole list of verbs that relate to being disgusted with the vulgarity of other races. :P
Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/19/2002 04:44 AM CST
>>Yeah... about snapping... why exactly can't we do it?

IC: Because ya find it vulgar.

OOC: Because da humans need SOMETHING to make them unique. ;)

-Steinn-
Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/19/2002 03:20 PM CST
Try GOBBLE sometime. Excellent roleplay tool, and I don't mean as a turkey.

~Lyrana
Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/20/2002 12:35 AM CST
You wanna talk about verb deprived? Forget Elves! What about Gnomes?
Re: Why can't I move my ears? 12/20/2002 11:20 AM CST
Can't you guys climb through windows?

I know Gnomes are great HT's as well.

::ducks::

Genneron :-p