RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 01:33 AM CST
Ok...my major beef on an rp aspect is....its kinda annoying when they set up a history and a society for a race and make it so that they frown on a certain things as a racial whole. Like Elotheans....they made it so they don't believe in fighting... Kaldars find magic for the weak....well....thats about it. End of Rambling Rant.
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 02:00 AM CST
>>its kinda annoying when they set up a history and a society for a race and make it so that they frown on a certain things as a racial whole

Not really as a whole, just in general. Kinda like how the vast majority of Americans think it would be utterly disgusting to eat dog meat, but the average Joe Schmoe over in China wouldn't think twice about it. Not to say that there aren't Americans that have no problem with it, they're just few and far between (like my parents Green Beret accountant, who used to eat insects he found in our lawn just to gross out my step-mom, heh ;).

>>Like Elotheans....they made it so they don't believe in fighting...

Well, considering there's an entire House that caters to Barbarians and fighters, I'd say this isn't the case. Besides, what does it matter for your RP? You can always RP someone rebelling against the general consesus of his or her race, or that you come from a whole family that is considered backwards by the rest of your race, i.e. a family of magically talented Kaldar. What does it matter?

-Steinn-
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 03:17 AM CST
To make a long story short: I am not truly ANNOYED in the sense that I'd stop playing. Just wishing there were examples of certain people in the particular race's history where they strayed from the path of the popular belief system of that race. BUT we can't all have our slightest whims satisfied. So for me it was more of wishful thinking. Sorry if my previous post sounded like I was angry. Not intended.
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 11:49 AM CST
>>its kinda annoying when they set up a history and a society for a race and make it so that they frown on a certain things as a racial whole... Kaldars find magic for the weak

>>Just wishing there were examples of certain people in the particular race's history where they strayed from the path of the popular belief system of that race.

I think Pureblade makes a nice historical exception for that much. ;)

I believe there are a few rather powerful Elothean Barbarians, as well, which give a nice difference from the norm.
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 01:01 PM CST
Hey, folks...

If you'll have a look at the official timeline and at several of the in-game history books, I think you'll find what you're looking for. If you want to roleplay a war-loving Elothean, that's perfectly fine. In those documents, you'll find examples of trend-bucking souls from history.

However, if you want to buck the trend, you've got to know what the trend is. Using the Eloth example, the trend is away from war, and there are good reasons for that. However, maybe your character has his own reasons for feeling otherwise. Not all Empaths are peaceful and gentle. Not all Barbarians are bloodthirsty. Not all Elotheans despise combat.

-Tessima
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 02:12 PM CST
>Not all Barbarians are bloodthirsty.

Next you're going to tell people that some of us can read.

Ruhrik
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 05:05 PM CST
>Next you're going to tell people that some of us can read.

No one would believe her if she did.

-Gheist
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 05:10 PM CST
Right. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but we're not, you know, stupid.

~I.B.
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 06:50 PM CST
>>Next you're going to tell people that some of us can read.

Hukt on foniks wurkd for me!

-Steinn-
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 06:54 PM CST
>>Next you're going to tell people that some of us can read.

>Hukt on foniks wurkd for me!

Shhhhh! Dammit, don't let out Guild secrets or I'll have Agonar pommel-bash you.

Ruhrik
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/15/2002 07:16 PM CST
>>Shhhhh! Dammit, don't let out Guild secrets or I'll have Agonar pommel-bash you.

If anyone asks, I beat up a mage and made him right it for me.

-Steinn-
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/17/2002 11:21 AM CST
>>Kaldars find magic for the weak

>>I think Pureblade makes a nice historical exception for that much. ;)

Well he did say magic was for the weak. =P

-Korsik
Re: RACES and RP-ABILITY- 12/18/2002 12:01 AM CST
>>Well he did say magic was for the weak. =P

Pureblade's a nice big butt-paladin.

I should get around to having him circle..