Strength penalty 10/20/2002 12:20 PM CDT
Why do elves in DR have a strength and stamina penalty. From what I remember reading about elves, they are supposed to be stronger and have more stamina than a regular human. Sometimes 10 times stronger. Yet here they are made to be weak. Why is that? I think the elven races' attributes on strength and stamina needs to be changed to be bonuses.
Re: Strength penalty 10/20/2002 12:23 PM CDT
>>From what I remember reading about elves, they are supposed to be stronger and have more stamina than a regular human.<<

Though i'm not completely caught up on DR history or Lore.. in everything else i've ever read in every other Fantasy world/realm.... elves are weaker and have less endurance then Humans, but they are much more agile, charismatic and graceful.

Hark
Re: Strength penalty 10/20/2002 01:32 PM CDT
Where did you read this? Was it written by an Elf, perchance?
Re: Strength penalty 10/20/2002 01:51 PM CDT
>>Where did you read this? Was it written by an Elf, perchance? <<

Were you referring to me or the orginal poster? (would help if you quoted what you're replyin' to).

Hark
Re: Strength penalty 10/20/2002 02:48 PM CDT
Sorry, I hadn't read your post yet when I posted it. The original poster.
Re: Strength penalty 10/21/2002 02:27 AM CDT
No, Elves are, on average, physically weaker and frailer than Humans. Of course there are exceptions.

~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth
Re: Strength penalty 10/21/2002 11:20 AM CDT
See what happens when folks confuse vulcans and elves darn pointy ears.;)

Arrys
Re: Strength penalty 10/21/2002 11:20 AM CDT
>>>>elves are weaker and have less endurance then Humans, but they are much more agile, charismatic and graceful.<<<<

also more intelligent as well...least the ol AD&D elves were...i personally dont have a problem with the stat of elves or how much it costs to raise em...

now this elves growin beards thing,we might need to have a few words about.....

Izzit
Re: Strength penalty 10/21/2002 01:42 PM CDT
Personally, I just saw elves smarter because of age (can you imagine not being able to be ok on yer own till you were 50? <g> But I thought that their strength penalties had to do with the speed in which they developed. It can take a human as little as two months to go from normal to body builder, but they develope so quick that they cannot live past 125ish. Roughly then, elves take 8 times longer to develop. This is just a guess, looking at fantasy scientifically. So, would it then take a gifted elf a year and four months working at it to obtain the same results?

-Zakarious, curious elothean
Re: Strength penalty 10/22/2002 02:33 AM CDT
Actually there are several different types of elves and most of them that i've read they are not weaker than humans. Check your D&D sources and maybe you'll see that there are more to it to elves than making cookies in trees or toys for santa.
Re: Strength penalty 10/22/2002 03:55 AM CDT
>>Check your D&D sources and maybe you'll see that there are more to it to elves than making cookies in trees or toys for santa.

Well, being that this is not D&D, I'll just say: <edited for non-TF type boards> With that said, it sounds like you just wanna be Superman (well, Superelf, at least). But you are right that elves do more than make cookies and toys. They also frolick through the woods and dance in the moonlight, both very tiring and muscle-building pursuits, so I can see your point. I for one cast my vote for elves to get a -2 bonus to strength!
Re: Strength penalty 10/22/2002 10:38 AM CDT
Just make a new race called Muscular Elves, and you can then go and reroll to join them. It was made painstakingly clear that you modifiers and guild primary/secondary/tertiary abilities are both set in stone. Your argument may hold factual info, but you choose a weaker version elf when you went into DR. I just wanted to be known as shorter than a human, so I picked elothean. Heh, I choose my character for height, funny huh? Anyhow, I don't mind a bit, my strength and stamina are pretty sweet and I'm makin' it. The harder you push against your penalties, the less company you will be in. Ultimate uniqueness. Strong elothean. <g>

-Zakarious, aware of that really high level elothean barb who could pick me up with his pinky and deck me. <g> But still...
Re: Strength penalty 10/22/2002 11:28 AM CDT
except eloths aren't shorter then humans they're just weaker and well less hairy
Re: Strength penalty 10/22/2002 09:50 PM CDT
..!

Are you serious? I was certain that the figuring said they were shorter way back when. Ah well...

So much for that. I'm short, appear weak but am not so much so, and nimble. That's what I thought anyhow, when I picked. Ah well, heights range. <g>

-Zakarious, short Storm Mage <chortle>
Re: Strength penalty 10/23/2002 05:09 AM CDT
Back at the Stone Clan Barroom Brawl, I remember seeing an Elven woman win the mid-level fight and be the champion. She beat up a number of Togs and Prydaens, among others, with no claws and no strength bonus (as well as no armor and weighted down with rocks).

You can theorize all you want about the advantages of claws or strength in brawling, she still won. Twigs and berry comments aside, I would never say that Elves are weak. Heh.

Baboushka
Re: Strength penalty 10/24/2002 06:02 AM CDT
>>I would never say that Elves are weak. Heh.

I would. Elves are weak! ::glances at Veldehar::

::runs away screaming like a little girl::
Re: Strength penalty 10/24/2002 09:19 PM CDT
All the races are in some sort of balance with each other when it comes to penalties and bonuses. Give the elves better strength and stamina, and surely you'd have to completely remove their other bonuses, so they are either just normal, or on the pentalty side.

Elves are not better than humans in every aspect, even though most think they are :P

Troubadour Raziaar --- Definately not average
Re: Strength penalty 10/25/2002 02:56 PM CDT
what other bonus's?

they aren't talking about the + and - to tdp spending that all races have

they are talking about the burden penalty/bonus that some races have beyond the strength and stamina stat

i'm pretty sure there are no other bonus/penalty's like that set up anywhere else but if there is i'd like to know :)
Re: Strength penalty 10/27/2002 07:58 PM CST
>what other bonus's?

I'm too lazy and my connection's too slow to check for sure, but I believe that all the +/- on the stat bonuses evens out to within a point of 0. And the one's that don't even out are probably due to an abundance or lack there of on a single stat (ex. +3 STR, or -3 STAM).

From what I remember anyhow.

-Zakarious, Storm Mage
Re: Strength penalty 10/28/2002 01:59 AM CST
>>I'm too lazy and my connection's too slow to check for sure, but I believe that all the +/- on the stat bonuses evens out to within a point of 0. And the one's that don't even out are probably due to an abundance or lack there of on a single stat (ex. +3 STR, or -3 STAM).

All even out except for Togs (even Gnomes with their +3 to strength and +2 to stamina). We've been told in the distant past that Togs' inequality in stats was due to their encumbrance bonus. It's getting looked at now and hopefully will get fixed, so it's all a moot point at the moment. ::shrugs::