Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/11/2014 08:01 AM CDT

I posted this in the Shields forum too since it seems to apply there as well. I hope that's okay. :)

Shield Maneuvers: The Armor skillset is quite passive and it seems folks are looking for more activated things to do with armor. Since paladins are supposed to be good at group combat, shield maneuvers may be something to consider here. A couple of ideas:

-Shield Press: After GRAPPLing an opponent, the paladin may SHIELD PRESS it. In this position the paladin cannot attack the target but instead the foe takes penalties to OF and defenses- since I imagine it’s difficult to strike or dodge when a knight is trying to press a tower shield against your face. A paladin could use this to open a foe up for his or her allies. I imagine this would be great in invasions. [Would this teach Shield Use like its cyclic?]

-Phalanx: One paladin, when in a group, performs the PHALANX maneuver. Another paladin in a group with the first ALSO performs this maneuver a moment later. For both of them the “Behind You” combat position is gone as they stand back-to-back and they also gain a bonus to Shield Block against ranged attacks through their defensive stance. If a third or more paladins are in the same group they can perform the maneuver to join the leader’s formation. Advancing, Retreating, or getting knocked prone/unconscious will remove a paladin from the formation. This would hopefully reinforce 'squire RP' and also be great for invasions since each paladin in the formation could still PROTECT someone else.
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/11/2014 12:24 PM CDT
Having Paladin-only shield maneuvers would be grand.

Not to hijack your thread, but I posted my version of a Paladin shield "wish list" back when I returned last summer. I can't remember where it was posted, but I never got any responses to it from GM's (or any Paladins, I don't think). I do remember a few people upset that I dare suggest something Paladin only. It is outlined below.

Shield perks (passive): Paladin only?
1) Shield bash (and other maneuvers) with worn shields

2) Worn shield penalty reduction (s): Based on ranks, but perhaps allow reflex/strength/discipline to also affect
a. Lose 1% shield type penalty per 100 ranks of shield skill
- Small shields have a 20% (or is it 25?) missile penalty, so for every 100 ranks shield skill that
penalty is reduced 1%
- Large shields have a 20% (or is it 25?) melee penalty, so for every 100 ranks of shield skill that
penalty is reduced 1%

b. There is currently a 25% protection reduction for arm worn shields. Allow this to be worked-off similar
to the above proposal. Perhaps 1% every 75 or 100 ranks.

c. There is currently an unquantified 2HE/Shield penalty. Allow a reduction of this penalty for every 100
ranks combined shield/2HE

3) Shield deflect: gives a small chance of deflecting a ranged attack back at an enemy. Higher likelihood when
using large vs. small shields. Based on shield skill, missile mastery, reflex, agility

Shield maneuvers (active): Based on shield ranks or add a defense feat system?
1) Shield slam: already exists make it melee only and able to be done with arm worn shields
2) Shield charge: a shield bash from polearm: more chance to stun/unbalance
3) Shield crash
4) Shield strike: a shield bash (unbalancing/stun) followed by an autometic weapon attack
5) Shield drum: beat your weapon/fist against a shield in order to try to intimidate your opponent, lowering
their defense/offense for a period of time. The more group members doing this at the same time,
the more pronounced the effect.
6) Shield wall: used with other shield users in group. Improve shield defense of all group members. Added bonus
for each Paladin in group.
7) Shield trample: knock down multiple opponents who are at melee
8) Spell block: improved defense from offensive spell attacks and DFA
9) Shield disarm: chance to disarm an opponent by hitting their weapon with your shield

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/12/2014 01:24 AM CDT

Great stuff! First of all paladins are famous as the only guild that can work down heavy plate hindrance down to 0 so it makes sense to me that we can work down various shield penalties down,too. Here are my thoughts on the other stuff:

Shield Deflect: This seems like a spell or part of a spell to me (possibly a cyclic) given its supernatural effect. It would be very handy, though!

We have charged weapon maneuvers now and it looks like lots of these other things would use that system. Slam and charge both make sense and seem like shoo-ins for development. You didn't give an explanation for Shield Crash- perhaps that could be shield bashing a prone opponent? That would go well with Rebuke. I like shield strike but it seems too powerful to have no restrictions- perhaps it could only work against an opponent that is currently stunned and that's it? Shield drum sounds like a great spell- I wouldn't be intimidated at all without some kind of magic affecting my mind. Shield Wall is, well, my Phalanx suggestion except I limited the formation to paladins only instead of the paladin's whole group. Its pretty potent and I'd like to see ways to give rewards for paladins grouping with each other.
Shield Trample made me think of horses- they need development BADLY and this would a great start! Spell Block seems like a Justice Sigil effect for enchanting, in my opinion. Shield Disarm, well.... that is really a very powerful thing to think about. There would have to be massive costs attached to balanced it out but the concept is good.

Thanks for sharing!

Sylvaeus, Gnome Paladin
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/13/2014 01:26 PM CDT
I would be in favor of any Paladin development including the ideas above.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/23/2014 10:43 PM CDT

I know I'm biased here but..... I think SHIELD PRESS would be kinda easy to implement and SHIELD PHALANX has a pretty good return on investment despite the challenge of it. I'm hoping they could be used together, even. Given the setting of Elanthia I'm wondering if adding a small Warding buff to Phalanx might be appropriate. :)Finally, losing back position stacks with Crusader's Challenge pretty well, in my opinion.
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/24/2014 06:45 AM CDT
GM's have always said DR doesn't work the way you would think, so just because you think it should be easy, doesn't mean it will. Why do I say this? Because it means that 'you should do this, it would be easy' is kind of meaningless and usually just irritates the GMs when they have to say 'no, that's actually physically impossible in this code, or would require 400 man hours to code around'.
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/24/2014 09:59 AM CDT

I'm simply trying to stay positive and generate some conversation. Why are you always on my case when I'm trying to help?
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/24/2014 10:26 AM CDT
<<I'm simply trying to stay positive and generate some conversation. Why are you always on my case when I'm trying to help?>>

Don't look at it that way, you're posting lots of good ideas and generating discussion. Some of the discussion will be positive, some of it negative. Some of it constructive, some of it non-constructive. Ignore the negative non-constructive ones, and use the other types to strengthen your ideas.

Personally, I like that someone has actually made the Paladin boards light-up as having new messages every couple of days or so. It's generally dead. Hopefully you won't get too dissuaded as you see few (if any) of your ideas (or our joint ideas) come to fruition.

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/24/2014 12:08 PM CDT
>I'm simply trying to stay positive and generate some conversation. Why are you always on my case when I'm trying to help?

I'm not. I was pointing out that historically saying 'this is easy' isn't true, unless you happen to be a qualified DR coding GM. I can't speak to 'always' since it's too broad and I don't follow you around the boards and comment on your posts (in fact, I'd guess I don't comment on 9/10 of your posts). But when I see something that is somewhat factually inaccurate (note that I didn't say false, or wrong, but maybe not entirely accurate through no fault of your own) I comment.
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/24/2014 02:10 PM CDT
Just want to say that I support further Paladin development, including shield abilities. Hear, hear! :)
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/24/2014 05:56 PM CDT
Thanks for clearing that up, everyone. :) Personally I'm harboring a hope of 50/50 consideration. lol
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/24/2014 08:58 PM CDT
<<. But when I see something that is somewhat factually inaccurate >>

It is hypocritical to state in one sentence that what he claims "isn't true, unless [he] happen[s] to be a qualified DR coding GM", and then to make your own claim that what he stated is "somewhat factually incorrect". That is, of course, unless you happen to be a qualified DR coding GM.

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/24/2014 09:34 PM CDT
These are some sexy ideas. I'm a big fan of any and all shield abilities or spells. Shield's a big reason I chose to paladin it out.
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/25/2014 12:32 AM CDT
No need to get all emotional about it and derail the thread when it's about suggestions. How about those shield abilities! Keep them coming Nray, great ideas.
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/25/2014 08:02 AM CDT

Thank you! *Puts in the movie '300' to get more pumped up about shields.*
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/25/2014 06:26 PM CDT
<<Thank you! *Puts in the movie '300' to get more pumped up about shields.*>>

Ohh damn, I didn't realize we were trying to emulate that. I withdraw my support ;)

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 05/25/2014 09:45 PM CDT

We are trying to BEAT it! For Elanthia!!! LOL
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 06/05/2014 03:53 PM CDT

being a newer player, and seeing all these cool ideas I am very much supportive of them. sadly I do not know the mechanics aspect as fully as Lennon, though as alot of the information was posted. and it would be certainly great to get any of them implemented to some degree or another.

also like to thank the staff lurking in the corners that have read this, even without a response your hard work and dedication in the background is appreciated even by us newer less educated DR folks
Re: Paladin Shield Maneuvers 06/05/2014 06:59 PM CDT

That really means a lot. Thanks. :)