THE best shield 10/14/2009 09:02 AM CDT
I'm looking for advice on buying a new shield. I'm currently using the Theren tower shield so anything will be an upgrade but I've saved up quite a bit of coin and want to get the absolute best out there and I don't want to blow all that coin then wish I had gotten something different.

I'm HE prime and during invasions and fights I want to be my best at I hold my shield in my offhand to get rid of the penalty. When hunting I keep it arm worn. Shield is my highest armor and getting close to expert levels. Don't think any other info is needed.

So, would it be best to go with the gold plated lion shield because it has the highest max protection? Or the warrior's tower shield?

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: THE best shield 10/14/2009 09:19 AM CDT
My post referring to the cinqueda and slamming with a HE was actually talking about slamming with a shield... its just that the Cinqueda's combo makes SLAM with a shield a balance neutral manouver with a +2 to balance with the next attack... which i think is parry. heh.

As for the best shield... I think we just discussed this... I'll give you my personal opinion tho.

I own and have used both the golden lion shields and the warriors.... I use the warriors. I wear my shield on my arm.

Protection isn't the reason I use the warriors.... its the balance it obtains with capped casts of DA.

Phandanqwz
Re: THE best shield 10/14/2009 11:57 AM CDT
For a paladin, I have to say the warriors tower shield is better than the lion one. Top end protection is really the only thing better about the lion, and from what I can tell, both of them cap out top end protection for arm-worn with DA. Low end protection is better on the warriors.
Re: THE best shield 10/14/2009 12:36 PM CDT
Ah, ok I get it now. It slipped past me that with DA both are capped. What about the hinderance, mod on the gold-plated lion shield and fair on the warriors shield. Is that something I shouldn't worry about?

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: THE best shield 10/14/2009 12:50 PM CDT
<< I've saved up quite a bit of coin and want to get the absolute best out there and I don't want to blow all that coin then wish I had gotten something different. >>

Best out there is the horn of plenty shield if you can find someone willing to sell one and have a few thousand plats to spend.
Re: THE best shield 10/16/2009 11:01 PM CDT
Horn of plenty shields are too encumbering, but when DA'd they appraise "god-like" which just floods the mind with precious memories of old massive platemail, ball and chains, and short hunting spears of old.

Warriors towers are the least hindering of the "tower" class and they are 185 stones instead of 200. There are wooden tower shields... but I remember those being awkward and very prone to breakage.

Wall shields are nice but also very encumbering. There are posts from the past that show the wall and horn shields' appraisals.
Re: THE best shield 10/17/2009 12:00 AM CDT
<< Horn of plenty shields are too encumbering, but when DA'd they appraise "god-like" which just floods the mind with precious memories of old massive platemail, ball and chains, and short hunting spears of old. >>

This is the paladin folder. Too encumbering? Nonsense, for other guilds, sure.
Re: THE best shield 10/17/2009 09:42 AM CDT
> Horn of plenty shields are too encumbering, but when DA'd they appraise "god-like" which just floods the mind with precious memories of old massive platemail, ball and chains, and short hunting spears of old.

"Best shield" is kind of a tricky thing to be talking about. I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret since it is going away soon anyway -- the best shield depends quite a bit on your guild and your skill. At low levels, the shields with the best protection range are generally best. At high levels, you may actually be hurting yourself by having a big shield -- a basic goblin target shield can actually trump a godlike tower shield (in an overall defense sense) at high levels, especially for guilds with higher hindrance.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: THE best shield 10/17/2009 09:45 AM CDT
::blinks:: You mean my trader has been using the best shield for her all along?

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: THE best shield 10/17/2009 05:03 PM CDT
<<At high levels, you may actually be hurting yourself by having a big shield -- a basic goblin target shield can actually trump a godlike tower shield (in an overall defense sense) at high levels, especially for guilds with higher hindrance.

Wow, that is surprising to hear. Weird.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: THE best shield 10/19/2009 02:20 AM CDT
The hinderance of the shield is more effecting upon evasion and thus more impacting to overall defense then the boon the higher levels of potential protection granted from utilizing the largest/heaviest types of shields.

this gap differance is the least with paladins. (there's a few reasons...)

DA closes this gap even further... by raising the low end of the potential protection. The increase on the high end side looks neat... but is much less of a boon over the low end gain.

If this makes sense to you then you are versed in understanding how shields work(currently)... and able to decipher the banter of one of the worst communicators in the guild.

Phandanqwz