Two shield questions 10/04/2009 08:34 AM CDT
Hi. I was curious about two things. First off, what's the "best" shield around? I don't mean some ancient fest thing from the AOL days, but something you're likely to be able to find for sale, with a bit of luck. I know warrior tower shields, from Chris' Mass festival I believe, are supposed to be pretty good. Anything better?

Second, how do you shield bash? What commands work with it, is it a good method of attack, does it use your shield skill to determine your likely hood of hitting? Does it have to be in your right hand? If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
Re: Two shield questions 10/04/2009 10:16 AM CDT
>>First off, what's the "best" shield around?

For something more easily accessible, I'd say the "a gold-plated tower shield emblazoned with a majestic lion."

You are certain that it imposes a moderate maneuvering hinderance.

This shield is large in size.

You are certain that the shield offers low to tremendous protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
You wonder if the tower shield might weigh a few hundred stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 30000 lirums.

>>Second, how do you shield bash? What commands work with it, is it a good method of attack, does it use your shield skill to determine your likely hood of hitting? Does it have to be in your right hand?

> slam

< Driving in like an unbeatable force, you slam a gold-plated tower shield at a caracal. A caracal fails to evade, leaning wrong and blundering into the blow. The shield lands a powerful strike (11/23) that blasts clean through the right leg with a well-placed swing that throws blood and bone splinters everywhere.
A caracal screams and falls to the ground grasping its mangled right leg!
[You're invigorated, incredibly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

It cannot be arm-worn for the slam. You have to remove it. It can be in your left hand, but it does not train offhand. I don't even think it teaches anything. And I believe it is just straight up shield ranks, but I could be mistaken. It can be a fun cheap shot in PvP. I was fighting a friend of mine a while back and couldn't hit him with my main weapon, LX. Even with full aim. Nor could I hit him with smite using HE or 2HE, so I removed my shield and slammed. Tore off his arm and left him stunned. Fight was over soon after that.

But is it technically useful? Not particularly, just fun.

- Paragon Korsik Rippentropp, Most Noble Paladine

Crusader against the Innocent
Defender of All That is Wrong

Trinean says, "He's tougher than Dametri."
Re: Two shield questions 10/04/2009 11:37 AM CDT
I've found The warrior's tower shields to be the best overall. The gold plated lion tower shields appraise with higher max protection but are moderately less effective on the low end of the range which leads to more hits overall making it through the shield. Both are very effective and are a huge leap up from the "standard" tower shields sold in stores.

The trader shop, I believe the one in Crossing, sells an enameled tower shield with a tower on it or something close to that description... it is also a step or two abvove standard store bought.

As for slam... it does teach shield when you slam I think. Slam IS a useful attack as a linking attack in certain specialized combonations. You will need to be using the correct weapon types and use it at the proper moments in the combonation.
Re: Two shield questions 10/05/2009 01:09 AM CDT
>I've found The warrior's tower shields to be the best overall. The gold plated lion tower shields appraise with higher max protection but are moderately less effective on the low end of the range which leads to more hits overall making it through the shield. Both are very effective and are a huge leap up from the "standard" tower shields sold in stores.

In addition, I'm fairly certain that both the lion shield and the warriors tower shield hit the protection cap for arm-worn with DA, so assuming you have that spell, and mostly leave the shield on your arm, the better low-end protection of the warrior's tower shield makes it better for a paladin than the lion shield.

As for slam, I've never had very good results from testing it. It under-performs compared to weapons with far fewer ranks. I assumed it was due to the balance being dismal, but all my weapons have dismal balance (nothing but axes). Last time I tested it, versus thugs, I could not reliably hit, and when I did it was mostly good hits, even though I was past the cap for learning shield from thugs. Meanwhile, my HT, which was some 40-50 ranks lower, and my 2he, which was closer to 100 ranks lower, were getting massive hits and the like. Basically, the concept of having an attack based off an armor skill is great, but the attack is so underwhelming as to not really be worth the roundtime, unless you outclass your foe completely and just think it would be fun to crush their face with your shield.
Re: Two shield questions 10/05/2009 01:12 AM CDT
SLAM seems akin to PUMMEL; it's fun, but you should be outclassing what you're using it on.

Rev. Reene

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not.
It looks as they expect, but it is not."
Re: Two shield questions 10/05/2009 08:01 AM CDT
I've always found slam to kill too quickly and I want the weapon experience instead of the shield experience. I haven't paid attention to my shield outclassing my opponents but next time I'm on the islands I could test with super celps and report back.

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Two shield questions 10/05/2009 03:00 PM CDT
What is the sweet spot to use slam in a weapon combo, for HE primary?

~Silus
Banner first, ask questions later.
Re: Two shield questions 10/05/2009 06:53 PM CDT
"What is the sweet spot to use slam in a weapon combo, for HE primary?"

After your first round of moves after that dodge slam then sweep nad go on from there repeat as needed.

A s'sugi malchata attempts to evade, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow. The shield lands an awesome strike that explodes the chest in a shower of blood and splintered ribs.
A s'sugi malchata crumbles to the ground.
Re: Two shield questions 10/06/2009 07:43 AM CDT
I slam after feint if I use it.

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Two shield questions 10/08/2009 10:47 PM CDT
If you want to slam with a HE go buy a Cinqueda...