Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:21 AM CDT
Okay, so I have two shields, both I bought at the same place, same time, Feast of Elund. Both are Horn of plenty tower shields. One I had altered a few years back, the other I just dusted off from my vault.

Ok, so appraisal from unaltered one:

>app my shield
You are certain that it imposes a high maneuvering hinderance.

This shield is large in size.

You are certain that the shield offers low to incredible protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be slung over one shoulder.
You are confident that the tower shield might weigh a few hundred stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 32490 lirums.

Now appraisal from altered one:

>app my shield
>

You are certain that the shield offers low to very impressive protection.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are confident that the tower shield might weigh a few hundred stones.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Okay, now all is identical, including appraisal value, EXCEPT for high end protect, the unaltered one shows increadable, the altered on shows very impressive. Now, to confuse things more, the comparison:

>compare my shield to my other shield
You are certain that the tower shield is about as strong as the tower shield.
You are certain that the tower shield is about as easy to maneuver with as the tower shield.
You are certain that the tower shield has about as good of a basic defense as the tower shield.
You are certain that the tower shield has about as good of a full defense as the tower shield.
You estimate that the tower shield weighs about the same as the tower shield.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]

Within the confines of comparison, they are "about the same". Is the altered one bugged? Do they actually have the same exact high end protection stat, but it is a boarderline stat which can go either way on its descriptor? When I got the one altered did it screw it up?

Interested to hear thoughts.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:26 AM CDT
Ok, follow up, with DA cast:

altered shield:

>app other shield

You are certain that the shield offers fair to very impressive protection.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
You wonder if the tower shield might weigh a few hundred stones.

Note high end protection stayed the same with DA cast.

Unaltered shield:

>app shield

You are certain that the shield offers fair to god-like protection.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

It appears that the tower shield can be slung over one shoulder.
You believe that the tower shield might weigh a few hundred stones.

Unaltered one becomes "god-like" on high end. These are the same shields! And comparison, again, still shows them "about the same", something seems off here.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:28 AM CDT
Wearing one on your arm maybe? An armworn shield caps at very impressive if I recall.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:28 AM CDT
These are both kinda obvious so I assume you've thought of them, but just in case...

You have a lot of certains, so this might not apply, but its possible you're at a breaking point on appraisal. Are both of those high end protection appraisals consistent over 10+ appraisals?

The other would be to make sure one isn't arm-worm and the other hand-held when appraising them indiviudally. That changes the protection ratings.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:29 AM CDT
Oh.. and is one of them for sale? :)
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:31 AM CDT
<< Wearing one on your arm maybe? An armworn shield caps at very impressive if I recall. >>

Doh! Okay, yep, thats it, remove the shield and I get:

You are certain that the shield offers fair to god-like protection.

Sorry bout that! I entirely forgot about that. I did not realize it was a hard cap and forgot protection was lowered with arm worn. Well good to know.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:33 AM CDT
the one with lesser high end appraisal is probably shifted to arm worn or on your arm.

Or could it be the old perma DA?
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:33 AM CDT
<< Oh.. and is one of them for sale? :) >>

Heh, most recent sale I could find of one on DRSales was 2,250 plats, and that was 2 years ago.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:34 AM CDT
You're absolutely certain they were the exact same before the alteration? Seems like they are sitting right at the line between appraisal ranges, within a few points of each other, with one above the dividing line and the other below. They compare as about the same, because they are within a few points. Same happens if you compare a warrior's tower shield with a theren-crest tower shield. The warrior's apps as fairly sturdy. The theren one apps as moderately strong. Yet they compare as about as strong as each other. 'About the same' is a range, just like every other aspect of appraisal. So for whatever reason, the altered one is (very slightly) better. On second thought... God-like protection... It's probably horribly bugged, you should give it to me before it corrupts your character or something.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:37 AM CDT
<< Oh.. and is one of them for sale? :) >>

<<Heh, most recent sale I could find of one on DRSales was 2,250 plats, and that was 2 years ago.

Just thought I should ask.. and well.. maybe they are horribly bugged..
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:42 AM CDT
All figured out, I guess the confusing thing is that compare seems to ignore arm worn or not, while appraise takes it into account. I do wonder what the stat difference truely is between very impressive and god-like, should I stop arm wearing this thing when I am using single handed weapons? Arm wearing sure is handy, but god-like? Hmm.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 01:31 AM CDT
I've always been of mind to value low end protection very highly over top end.

But if you feel guilty about having two of them feel free to toss it this way!
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 07:42 AM CDT
<< The real odd thing I notice is that casting DA circumvents the protection cap for armworn shields. >>

Where do you notice that? Precicely because DA does not circumvent it is why I got confused in the first place, the shield stayed at very impressive and did not improve with DA.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 08:18 AM CDT
yep ther is only a high end cap on arm worn shields... not a base.

DA does not circumvent arm worn inflicted caps.

I say Down with the arm worn cap for Paladins! especially in light of further ill-effecting penalties soon to be applied.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 08:58 AM CDT
>I say Down with the arm worn cap for Paladins! especially in light of further ill-effecting penalties soon to be applied.

Which ill-effecting penalties? The ones that will affect paladins less than any other guild, thus widening the gap and solidifying paladins position as the kings of shield usage even more than it already was?
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 09:04 AM CDT
Soon to be applied... Shield hinderance and movement penalties are going to be differant... and in some parts much more restricting... applying multiple penalties at once.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 09:42 AM CDT
>Soon to be applied... Shield hinderance and movement penalties are going to be differant... and in some parts much more restricting... applying multiple penalties at once.

The hindrance that shields currently give to evasion is going away. The weight-based hindrance applied to the shield skill is going away. A shield's hindrance will (as it shows in appraisal) will be applied to the shield skill, and can be trained down. Paladins can train it further than anyone else. Overall, shield hindrance and evasion hindrance when using a shield should be less after the changes than it is now, especially for paladins.

Using a shield with a two-handed weapon will apply a penalty to both shield and the weapon, both of which can be trained down. Paladins can reduce this further than anyone else.

Looks like a bunch of things that, along with arm-worn size restrictions and primary learning rates, are going to add up to paladins being a whole lot better at shield usage than anyone else. The only negative shield change, as it relates to paladins, that has I've seen discussed is lifting the arm-worn size restrictions. But as long as that comes with humongous hindrance penalties for non-paladins, I can live with it.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 11:15 AM CDT
>>Soon to be applied... Shield hinderance and movement penalties are going to be differant... and in some parts much more restricting... applying multiple penalties at once.

Currently the system applies some obscene penalties that dont make sense from what Dart has said.

New system should be much better.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/01/2009 12:53 PM CDT
I don't think shield will get any better.

In fact, if any thing, I think it will be slightly worse while we are able to evade slightly better.

This is without considering the 2handed change. (still mindlessly backtraining HT)
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 12:21 AM CDT
>I don't think shield will get any better.

>In fact, if any thing, I think it will be slightly worse while we are able to evade slightly better.

Currently: Shields hindrance is applied to evasion, and there is a weight based penalty applied to shield, which I'm pretty sure isn't trained down.

Proposed: Shields hindrance applies to shield, and can be trained down, with paladins having the lowest minimum.

I don't see how it could possibly NOT be better.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 01:21 AM CDT
Shield hindrance applying to evasion is better for paladins who have lower evasion.

Every one keeps implying that moving the hindrance to hinder the shield skill as opposed to evasion is good.

For me, I'd rather be hindered 5% evasion than 5% on my shield skill.

Even still, maybe removing the weight penalty will be enough to balance it out; but without that its going to be a loss for most of us I imagine.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 02:46 AM CDT
> For me, I'd rather be hindered 5% evasion than 5% on my shield skill.

Because of how combat works, anything that penalizes evasion also reduces the effectiveness of shield and parry. Just saying.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 03:35 AM CDT
Yeah, for paladins i don't think it will be noticable. My thief is excited about gaining more ranks of her primary defense, though while still using shield.

From the sound of it, if my main (pal) notices anything at all before the 2handed nerf it will be negligibly negative.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 06:08 AM CDT
i noticed with a rather new commoner that i had to turn down evasion a bunch to even learn shield in rats.

And without a shield for those first few ranks, i did get beat up til i found one. I put 15 reflex on the character, and was using the jacket from louts as armor <leather>

Parry also seems to be a problem to learn at low ranks, as well as middling ranks.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 06:12 AM CDT
> i noticed with a rather new commoner that i had to turn down evasion a bunch to even learn shield in rats.

This isn't exactly surprising, but the reason this is true is probably not what you think.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 08:10 AM CDT
Which is interesting since my newb cleric is in full HP/LP with a croc buckler and I've been stancing 100 evasion 79 parry, 1 shield and I can barely move my evasion (Massive hindrance... shocking) and shield is quickly running past parry and evasion.

Seriously I think you must not hunt. - Verathor, who is standing at the back of the line.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 09:49 AM CDT
>Shield hindrance applying to evasion is better for paladins who have lower evasion.

Except that currently, your shield is hindering both. The hindrance is applied to evasion, and a special magical hindrance based on the shields weight is applied to shield. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Dart, but from what I understand, this weight-based hindrance isn't really reduced by skill, and as a result is probably more of a penalty, in most cases, than the shield hindrance under the change.

>Even still, maybe removing the weight penalty will be enough to balance it out; but without that its going to be a loss for most of us I imagine.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the weight-based penalty for wearing a 190ish stone tower shield on your arm is bigger than what you are thinking it is.
Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/02/2009 03:05 PM CDT
> >Shield hindrance applying to evasion is better for paladins who have lower evasion.

> Except that currently, your shield is hindering both.

Correct. However, what I said before is also true. Anything that penalizes evasion is also indirectly penalizing both shield and parry. At least with the current setup, it is never better to penalize evasion instead of shield or parry, because when you penalize evasion, you are penalizing all three. Why? Because shield and parry are contested with what gets past evasion, and the more that gets past evasion, the less effective parry/shield becomes. Granted, this may very well be changing soon, but ultimately the reality of the situation is that right now, shield penalizes both evasion and shield. In the future, it will penalize only shield (unless using most two-handed weapons, in which case it gets a bit more complicated), and as others have pointed out, the current shield penalty cannot be worked down by skill, the new will be.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Odd thing I am noticing... 08/03/2009 04:20 AM CDT
<<Using a shield with a two-handed weapon will apply a penalty to both shield and the weapon, both of which can be trained down. Paladins can reduce this further than anyone else.>>

I would like to put in a request that Paladins train down the shield penalty part the most and Barbarians train down the weapons penalty part the most. Or both train down both the same. I mean Weapons Prim and Armor prime should be equivalent in this mixed scenerio.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss