Need a sturdy shield 10/11/2008 12:28 AM CDT
Ok... I'm looking for a shield that won't get dinged up everytime I'm swung at by a maul. I currently use a Warrior's Tower Shield, which seems to be on the upper edge of fairly sturdy (it apps FS but compares as 'about the same' as the Theren crest tower shield, which is moderately strong).

So a few people recommended the Ironwood Buckler from Shard. Anyone know where I can get this? I found a buckler at Fiona's Swords and Shields, which has the optional custom material Ironwood, but it apps as fairly sturdy, compares as about as strong as my tower shield.

Or, if noone knows what I'm talking about, can someone recommend me a nice indestructible shield to use as a backup? Only thing I'm looking for here is sturdy construction.
Re: Need a sturdy shield 10/11/2008 01:48 AM CDT
Get the tower shield sold at the Crossing Trader guild.. has a Therengian crest. They are moderately strong..darn good shield for the coin.
Re: Need a sturdy shield 10/11/2008 01:53 AM CDT
The Theren crest tower shield apps as moderately strong, but when i compared it to my fairly sturdy Warrior's Tower Shield, I was certain that it was 'about as strong,' which leads me to believe that Warrior's Tower Shield is right at the top end of fairly sturdy, and the Theren crest tower shield is at the bottom end of moderately strong.
Re: Need a sturdy shield 10/12/2008 12:23 PM CDT
i thought they 'fixed' ironwood bucklers at shard so they don't actually have a stronger construction than others.

that said just get any tower shield and cast DA on it.
Re: Need a sturdy shield 10/12/2008 09:54 PM CDT
>i thought they 'fixed' ironwood bucklers at shard so they don't actually have a stronger construction than others.

If by fixed you mean it broke in the conversion to DR2, yes.
Re: Need a sturdy shield 10/13/2008 03:44 AM CDT
So the irowood buckler from Shard is the one from Fiona's, it's just nerfed now? You'd think the fact that getting it ironwood adds about 9 gold to the cost would justify it being sturdier. Oh well. I did find a couple of mod construction shields to try out. 3 different ironwood bucklers from Aesry, which appear identical, except for the look, and a fourth supposedly from an invasion.

As for just keeping DA up, At my skill level, holy mana is not nearly readily available enough to keep buffs up all the time hunting, so I was looking for a spare that could take some hard hits without having to burn all my mana trying to keep DA up.
Re: Need a sturdy shield 10/13/2008 07:37 PM CDT
>i thought they 'fixed' ironwood bucklers at shard so they don't actually have a stronger construction than others.

At some point, I intend to "un-fix" this.

GM Lohkrian

"In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you proceed with balance and stealth."
Re: Need a sturdy shield 10/13/2008 09:12 PM CDT
>>At some point, I intend to "un-fix" this.

Will equipment damage be fixed at the same time, too? :P

GENT
Re: Need a sturdy shield 10/13/2008 11:59 PM CDT
>Will equipment damage be fixed at the same time, too? :P

Heh, probably not. I know what's causing shops to fail to assign property modifications, but I'm guessing it is not the same thing causing any equipment damage inconsistencies.

GM Lohkrian

"In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you proceed with balance and stealth."
Re: Need a sturdy shield 12/09/2008 03:07 PM CST
Where can you buy the warrior's shield at that people are talking about?
Re: Need a sturdy shield 12/09/2008 05:16 PM CST
Warrior's Tower Shield is from a past fest. I think the price is around 100 plat or so now, but your best bet is to check the bazaar. There's a tower shield with the empath crest that I've been seeing a lot lately that compares as identical protection and construction, but slightly more hindering that is cheaper. Think they are running around 40-50 plat these days. Not sure where they come from. If you do get a Warrior's Tower Shield, or anything with similar construction, make sure you take extra care around certain critters. I had mine break in scout ogres a while back.

My hope is that tower shields will be forgable under the new system, preferably with better than fairly sturdy construction.
Re: Need a sturdy shield 12/09/2008 07:55 PM CST
Theren Tower Shield in the Trader's shop in Crossing. I think 5 gold, but very nice IMO. Should be easy to get.

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte