New Shield 04/17/2007 08:32 PM CDT
As I return from a long overdue break, dust off my heavy plate and trudge back into Elanthia I find myself wondering if I am under geared. Last I was about the most efficient shield for construction and protection with DA up was my trusty Ironwood Buckler from Shard. Now with the advancements in technology, the rediscovery of the lands to the west and many passing festivals; what is the best shield I can feel pleased using as a tough Rakash paladin that commonly surprises Empaths how much punishment I endure. The joys of a high stamina and max prep courage. My buckler is still performing well for me and I have yet to need any repair work on it since I have been back in the field, however I would like to know what else is out there that everyone is using that may be better.

-Kirdaorb Danaer, Advocate of Faenella
Re: New Shield 04/17/2007 09:23 PM CDT
Depending on your ranks you still may be better with the buckler, but eventually you will want to trade up as hinderance becomes less of an issue.

What I'm using for now...

>rub my shield
You rub a gold-plated tower shield emblazoned with a majestic lion.

>app my shield careful
You are certain that it imposes a moderate maneuvering hinderance.

This shield is large in size.

You are certain that the shield offers low to very impressive protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
You think it is likely that the tower shield weighs about 185 stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 37500 kronars.

Those were sold at a fest not too terribly long ago. Some might still be floating around on traders.

Other than that, I recall a tower shield from a trader-only shop that can still be bought (I think?).
I guess all that is to say, find a trader who stocks shields if you want a good one.

And no, shields still can't be forged, but forging 2.0 is coming... "soon"

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: New Shield 04/18/2007 12:32 AM CDT
I second that.

The Theren marked trader arm worn shield is a little less protective, a little heavier, and a little less hindering, but either is a fine choice. Both are Large shield. And if you have been gone long, any shield can now be worn an the arm (freeing up your left hand) by simply adjusting it and wearing it.

Sir Haammerstrike,
Blunt Wielding Dwarf Paladin

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.
Albert Einstein
Re: New Shield 04/18/2007 09:53 AM CDT
what they forget to mention about the Gold plated sheld is that it cost alot to repair, even small dent cost a small fortune, personally i think it's worthless shield i've had 7 so far and all have been broken while i was hunting Unyn's (good thing i brought plenty while fest was about), wouldn't minded if it was damaged but was in perfect condition each time they was broken.

i'd take the Theren arm shield any day, i put it away while using the loin shield and brought it back after breaking 7 of the loin shields, i've never had to repair the theren shield and it still in same condition as it was when first came about.

so i'd say scrap the gold shield and go for the theren one.

plus last time i checked loin shield cost 30 plat and theren shield couple gold out trader guild

Teloc Hawkhunter
Re: New Shield 04/28/2007 03:13 PM CDT
I Have three lion shields in the vault, its the only shield i will ever use. I have to understand how people have a problem with it breaking, mines never even been damaged.

You are certain that the shield offers low to tremendous protection.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The tower shield has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 30000 lirums.

Without DA.
Re: New Shield 08/15/2007 04:01 AM CDT
Ironically enough, a troll just broke mine earlier today - my lion shield that is.

Is anyone selling a spare or know someone who has one for sale? I'm so unhappy about this turn of events...
Re: New Shield 08/15/2007 02:11 PM CDT
Oh if only those things were a little stronger. Sorry for your loss. :/

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 01:09 PM CDT
I lost mine after a death. Very saddened. Currently using an Xing Paladin shop tower shield (with the paladin crest on it)

Does anyone know a reliable source for the Gold Lion shields?

Thanks
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 01:32 PM CDT
That's the second one in a month that got lost. I think they're getting more and more rare. I've been told that the best buyable storebought tower shield is from the Trader Shop in Crossing, it's got a Therengian Rose on it. That's second hand information though, as I've never seen one myself.

Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 01:37 PM CDT
I recommend the Theren Tower Shield in the Crossing Trader's guild. Cost is something like 4-6 gold? Either way, I love it and it allows me to keep my nicer shields in the vault during normal training.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 02:17 PM CDT
Madigan, as an armor tert with 150 ranks shield, I'm starting to notice creatures getting through my croc-skin buckler, even when I'm holding it and not wearing it. Should I snag one of those tower shields and start using it, you think?

Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 02:59 PM CDT
<<Madigan, as an armor tert with 150 ranks shield, I'm starting to notice creatures getting through my croc-skin buckler, even when I'm holding it and not wearing it. Should I snag one of those tower shields and start using it, you think?>>

You should move to a tower shield as soon as possible IMO. Unless there is a particular reason you want to wear your shield on your arm (i.e. you are 2HE primary), then the added protection of holding a larger shield offsets the inconvenience IMO.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 03:10 PM CDT
>You should move to a tower shield as soon as possible IMO. Unless there is a particular reason you want to wear your shield on your arm (i.e. you are 2HE primary), then the added protection of holding a larger shield offsets the inconvenience IMO.

Okay, well I'm not hunting in vykathi with my dragon-scale shield. Just too much of a chance of losing it. Guess I should find one of those Theren tower shields. Is that the actual description: "Theren tower shield"? My friend had mentioned something about a Therengian rose.

I'm not using any two-handed weapons currently, although eventually I will be switching ME out for 2HE.

Thanks for the advice!

Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 03:13 PM CDT
>Guess I should find one of those Theren tower shields.

If you do, can you grab me one as well? I'll send you a plat dokora to cover charges via familiar, I just don't want to travel back to Crossing.

-Durnil
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 03:17 PM CDT
Certainly. Hopefully my cat can reach p5 to let you know when I get them.

Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 03:28 PM CDT
>Hopefully my cat can reach p5 to let you know when I get them.

If I don't hear from you in a couple days I'll send my leopard out to harass you.

-Durnil
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 03:53 PM CDT
Shield over in P5 is better than the regular tower shield sold in Theren Keep?
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 03:54 PM CDT
>>I recommend the Theren Tower Shield in the Crossing Trader's guild. Cost is something like 4-6 gold? Either way, I love it and it allows me to keep my nicer shields in the vault during normal training.

If you can cap the DA spell and are using shields as arm-worn only, then this shield is the only shield you'll ever need because you will reach the cap for arm-worn protecting shields with this.

If you are using a better shield as arm-worn because you can't achieve cap DA yet, perhaps rethink your defense strat until you can cap DA. IE: hold the better shield and get more out of it for protecting you.

Shields in my opinion are too flimsy with how combat is done. Depending on what you fight you could lose the shield instantly and good protecting shields at the upper rangers are too few and far inbetween. Plus they cost an arm and a leg to repair too.

Ells
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 03:58 PM CDT
I am not IG, but the title I believe is "a tower shield with a Therengian crest" or something like that. It is located in the trader shop in Crossing.

Madigan

Arthur Ashe
Re: New Shield 08/22/2007 05:37 PM CDT
For those interested...

>tap shield
You tap an enameled tower shield painted with the Therengian royal crest that you are holding.

>app shield

You are certain that the shield offers low to impressive protection.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the tower shield is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

You believe that the tower shield probably weighs a few hundred stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 5000 kronars.

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: New Shield 08/23/2007 08:34 AM CDT
Not sure if these are available in Prime, but this is a shield from the Warrior Mage Guild Shop in between Theren and Muspari, the name escapes me at present.

a steel shield shaped to resemble a large dragon's scale

You are certain that the shield offers fair to impressive protection.
no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage
You are confident that the shield is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the steel shield is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.
The steel shield is made with metal.
It appears that the steel shield can be slung over one shoulder.
The steel shield has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the steel shield is worth exactly 63140 dokoras.

~Player of Zaud (Platinum)

Got Smite? - http://www.drpaladin.com
Re: New Shield 08/23/2007 08:40 AM CDT
That shield was available at one time, upon the Guild opening. If it's there now, then that's great. I've got one, but I'm afraid to use it. Seems like about the best large shield in game for a weaker race (140 stones).

Re: New Shield 08/23/2007 10:57 AM CDT
Speaking of that shop, what's the minimum circle to get in?
Re: New Shield 08/23/2007 01:40 PM CDT
Heh... I wouldn't use those dragon scale shields too freely if I were you. They are pretty rare IIRC, and people are paying hundreds of plats for them. Vault it or sell it, there are too many other shields out there that are slightly less protecting, but 1000x easier to replace.
Re: New Shield 09/09/2008 06:01 AM CDT
RX4pain said;

"I lost mine after a death. Very saddened. Currently using an Xing Paladin shop tower shield (with the paladin crest on it)

Does anyone know a reliable source for the Gold Lion shields?

Thanks"

Did you find one?

I was the person that had mine broken by an undead mammoth during an invasion.
I found out they were from a festival, hence they probably will come around again, infact it was a few fests back so might turn up at the next fest.

What is your paladins name in game and were does your paladin roam in the realm.

Wodie

PS Oh I replaced mine, I asked on items for sale part of the forum. A few came out of the wood work when I asked.
Re: New Shield 09/09/2008 02:38 PM CDT
RX4Pain was a thief, and he no longer plays.

Re: New Shield 09/09/2008 05:38 PM CDT
I find it a bit ironic that Paladin shop shields suck. The buckler a cougar snapped. The black gold aegis severely damaged from one blow from a young ogres mace, and that shield is 22 Plat.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: New Shield 09/09/2008 06:01 PM CDT
Speaking of shields, how much do the dragon scale shields go for?

~Silus
Smite first, ask questions later.
Re: New Shield 09/09/2008 06:09 PM CDT
1000-1500 plats now I think.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: New Shield 09/09/2008 07:32 PM CDT
A great starter shield would be the trader shield with the Theren crest on it. Moderate strong construction. Lion shields break too easy imo. The best step up is the Warrior's tower shield (as far as cost vs. protection).
Re: New Shield 09/10/2008 01:05 AM CDT
Any idea on the value of quest type jousting shields?
Re: New Shield 09/10/2008 10:03 AM CDT
>Any idea on the value of quest type jousting shields?

3-4k