Armworn Protection Cap 12/14/2006 11:27 AM CST
What's the cap on the amount of protection a shield will provide when it's worn on the arm? I'm specifically curious about the gold-plated tower shield from the Merelew fest. My guess is that it doesn't offer low to tremendous protection when armworn, but I'm curious to see if the protection is still better than or equal to the Therengian tower shield (low to impressive) from the Trader Shop.

Also, a worn item is reduced to 70% of the normal weight when calculated towards burden, correct? The Therengian tower shield is 200 stones base weight, but when armworn (which was the only way you could wear it originally) it's reduced down to 140, the same weight of the emblazoned tower shield from Theren Keep. This would also mean that the gold-plated tower shield is 133 stones when armworn (190), right?

I'm basically trying to figure out if all things being equal (when armworn -- on base stats the gold-plated one wins hands down) that the gold-plated tower shield is the better way to go since it offers equal/better protection at a seven-stone difference.

While I'm at it, do we inherently see more detailed appraisals on shields or does that come at a certain skill level?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

~Thilan
Re: Armworn Protection Cap 12/14/2006 12:55 PM CST
I can't answer the questions about wieght, but as for protection, you can get the cap based on the below appraisals. First is arm worn, second is held in hand:

Hinderance is a range, so it is not possible to say whether the hinderance is less when arm worn versus held in the hand since they both appraise as moderate. I do know that in my most hindering armor I am insignificantly hindered while holding it in my hand while I am unhindered while wearing it on my arm. I believe though that this might be due to the hinderance of the shield not being properly calculated while it is worn versus held, as I have heard others say this is an appraisal bug. I cannot confirm that, and am only passing on information third hand.

Now for the appraisals (sorry, not good enough to get wieghts yet):

You are certain that it imposes a moderate maneuvering hinderance.

This shield is large in size.

You are certain that the shield offers low to very impressive protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is fairly sturdy, and is practically in mint condition.

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are confident that the tower shield might weigh a few hundred stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 30000 lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.
R>rem my shie
You loosen the straps securing your tower shield and remove it.
>app my shie careful
You are certain that it imposes a moderate maneuvering hinderance.

This shield is large in size.

You are certain that the shield offers low to tremendous protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is fairly sturdy, and is practically in mint condition.

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
The tower shield has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 30000 lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Sir Haammerstrike,
Blunt Wielding Dwarf Paladin

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.
Albert Einstein
Re: Armworn Protection Cap 12/14/2006 01:06 PM CST
>>So very impressive seems to be the arm worn cap, but wait! My black steel Empath shield is only impressive on the arm. I am not certain why this is, perhaps a bug? I did not appraise the gold plated shield with DA as I am on a short break from a hunt and am using the Trader tower with the Theren crest on it.

'Impressive' is the range of skill. 'Very' is the descriptor that says where within the skill range it lies

Thus, you just proved that the empath shield has a lower protection value on it then the gold plated one, even though both are in the impressive range. When you arm-worn the empath one and the penalities to the protection were added up, you now have less protection then the cap.

More skill + higher DA cast will push it back up to the cap of the arm-worn.
Re: Armworn Protection Cap 12/14/2006 01:09 PM CST
And late it seems.

Sebestyen
Re: Armworn Protection Cap 12/14/2006 01:10 PM CST
Ahh thank you Ells, I had not taken the time to figure it out, just noticed it in fact.

Sebestyen
Re: Armworn Protection Cap 12/14/2006 01:21 PM CST
>Also, a worn item is reduced to 70% of the normal weight when calculated towards burden, correct?

That actually varies by race. The smaller races get more of a weight reduction.

Gnomes, Halflings, and Dwarves have an item's weight reduced by 73%, and all the other races get a 45% reduction I believe.
Re: Armworn Protection Cap 12/14/2006 01:26 PM CST

Arm-worn caps:

Armor primary (arm-worn towers): impressive protection
Armor secondary (arm-worn ovals): great protection
Armor tertiary (arm-worn targets): good protection

Wish List: Weapon enchanting, Empath romancing, Bardic Screams, and Barb love-beams.
Re: Armworn Protection Cap 12/14/2006 02:00 PM CST
>I do know that in my most hindering armor I am insignificantly hindered while holding it in my hand while I am unhindered while wearing it on my arm. I believe though that this might be due to the hinderance of the shield not being properly calculated while it is worn versus held, as I have heard others say this is an appraisal bug. I cannot confirm that, and am only passing on information third hand.

That is correct, armworn shields don't show any hinderance due to an appraisal bug.