Arm worn shields and Undershard 05/16/2005 01:16 PM CDT
Just wondering if this is meant to happen or not.

Basically, was bouncing about in Undershard (as you do) and got attacked by random folks down there (as you do) and all was fine. Stance is set shield 100, parry 80, and it was my shield blocking.

Eventually, I died. Which although not fine, was pretty much a Normal Thing.

I went back soon after (all healthy and full of spirit) and nearly died again but stupidly quickly - couple shots and if my friend hadn't been there to drag.. well it wasn't pretty. It wasn't until I went back a third time that I realised I wasn't blocking with my shield.. it was PARRY that was being used. Which explained a lot since shield is my primary armor and parry is some 45 ranks behind it AND at stance 80.

I checked my inventory, and yes I was still wearing my shield. Checked my stance, yes shield 100. I unwore my shield, and it started blocking. I then rewore it, and it carried on blocking.

Basically.. if we die and are wearing an arm worn shield, and our stuff is kept in a ward when we depart, when we touch the ward and are redressed, does the shield get put back on in an active state? Or does it become like the normal shields and just worn, and thus have to be held and reworn? It's really the only reason why I can see that my parry was being used and not my shield, though I'm open to suggestions, of course.

~Kesrel
Re: Arm worn shields and Undershard 05/16/2005 02:39 PM CDT
<<Basically.. if we die and are wearing an arm worn shield, and our stuff is kept in a ward when we depart, when we touch the ward and are redressed, does the shield get put back on in an active state? Or does it become like the normal shields and just worn, and thus have to be held and reworn? It's really the only reason why I can see that my parry was being used and not my shield, though I'm open to suggestions, of course.>>

When I get home from work I will check on this. Technically, it should since the code that resets the "cache" is part of the global "movement" mechanics. By that I mean anytime an object is moved from one place to another (in this case a piece of armor moved on a player) it should capture that and tell combat that the "cache is dirty" and needs to be reset.

If I don't follow up on this, email me at DR-SSRA@PLAY.NET.

Thanks.

-Ssra

The ultimate in reasoning is to come to the realization that there are still an infinite number of things that are unreasonable. -Blaise Pascal