Paladins/Shields 02/03/2005 06:40 AM CST
So, we can now use any HX with any shield... AND we can use any bow with a medium shield.... Hmm, seems like this could be pretty neat, eh?

Its not easy to side with the devil.

Making myself look like an idiot since 1984.
Re: Paladins/Shields 02/03/2005 06:45 AM CST
Yeah, but I loath to celebrate still. With 2 awesome releases for paladins so close together, and seeing our track record, I fear downtweaks, so I'm reserving the celebration for a few more days.

Though very cool work Ssra. It's always nice to see us getting some love.

Ecoles
"Us loners gotta stick together"
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/e/c/ecoles/ecoles.html
Re: Paladins/Shields 02/04/2005 08:33 AM CST
<<
So, we can now use any HX with any shield... AND we can use any bow with a medium shield.... Hmm, seems like this could be pretty neat, eh?
>>

But remember your shield skill will get a penalty with the bow + medium shield thing if bow is loaded. Over in combat folder Ssra said it better, but basically.

Bow + arrow loaded = can't use shield

Still will be a nice added bonus for those inbetween momments of fire and about to reload or something.

Ells
Re: Paladins/Shields 02/17/2005 10:36 AM CST
I'm a little lost here. So worn shields are really for ranged weapons? What are the other advantages or setbacks? Will I block an attack while wearing an armworn shield, if so, is it less effective?

Kolaisa

Stabbity, block, you go thud.

Drive fast, take risks.
Re: Paladins/Shields 02/17/2005 10:46 AM CST
>>So worn shields are really for ranged weapons?

While holding a loaded short, long, or composite bow, the shields provide no protection whatsoever. The benefit would be that as soon as you fire, you have a shield being actively used as defense. With crossbows, there are no penalties once you have 50+ ranks of Shield Usage.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Paladins/Shields 02/17/2005 10:52 AM CST
<<
I'm a little lost here. So worn shields are really for ranged weapons? What are the other advantages or setbacks? Will I block an attack while wearing an armworn shield, if so, is it less effective?
>>

Pros:
You will have left hand free to hold a second weapon
It'll be much easier to skin, pick up stuff, ect. with the open hand
You can use a 2he weapon and shield at same time
You can use shield/bow when the bow is unloaded
Passive ability to try and block attacks without needing to first remove it. IE: walk down street and all of a sudden you are shot at during an invasion you didn't know was happening, luckily you had the shield worn and it acted as your form of defense.

Cons:
Restricted wearing of shield sizes based on skill setup per guild
When loading or holding a loaded bow the shield will NOT work
Increased RT for loading a bow while wearing a shield
Has an evasion penalty
Has bow penalty until 50 ranks of shield
You have to downgrade one size level of shield to be able to wear it and use bow at same time

In long term (has not happened yet and may change):
Penalty to shield while arm with shield worn to it is in RT during dual-wield
Shields will offer bonses/penalties toward blocking melee/range attacks based on size of shield.

Person opinion:
I like it, but I don't like the option that they are arm-worn only. Make it so you can CHOOSE to wear it on arm or on shoulder(kinda like pulling a bundle will change location of where it is worn). Right now it has the most benefit towards 2he users. I love it for I can easily swap between my he and mb weapons alot better. In addition, I can now skin and pick-up stuff without worrying about losing shield defense.
Re: Paladins/Shields 02/17/2005 11:08 AM CST
Add to cons--no shield bashing

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: Paladins/Shields 02/17/2005 01:22 PM CST
> load
Your tower shield makes the task more difficult.
You reach into your haversack to load the s'rnhhl bow with a slender tip arrow.
Roundtime 10 sec.

added 5 seconds of rt to my comp bow

Re: Paladins/Shields 02/26/2005 07:38 PM CST
If you go down one size, there's no penalty Laythor.

Ecoles... kinda.