ironwood buckler versus Theren tower shield 04/14/2004 02:44 AM CDT
Well I ran my own personal experiments with the buckler and tower shield in small peccs in Lang and the results were a bit surprising.

first the stance settings
You are currently using 82% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 100% of your shield block skill.
You are currently using 1% of your weapon parry skill.
this was used for all tests

applicable skills
Shield Usage: 179 41% thoughtful Heavy Plate: 174 43% pondering
Evasion: 121 93.66% muddled

The appraisals for the shields

> app buckler careful
You are certain that it imposes a low maneuvering hinderance.

You are certain that the buckler offers rather low to good protection.

You are certain that the ironwood buckler is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

and

> app shield careful
You are certain that it imposes a moderate maneuvering hinderance.

You are certain that the shield offers low to very great protection.

You are certain that the tower shield is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

Neither shield was DAed, but my armor was to enhance chance of survival.

the hinderances

with buckler
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered.

with tower shield
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently fairly hindered.

After test driving both shields against single peccs I could find no real defensive advantage to either one. Not surprisingly, lowering evasion to 0 both got me pounded by the peccs and shifted the advantage to the tower shield. I also noticed a slight increase in my offensive performance fighting with lower hinderance (obviously).

So for me, as of now, the ironwood buckler seems to work out better, and I would estimate it would work better for people with similar ranks or below. Note also that I have not tested both against ranged attacks, which would be a valuable test especially since it's been raining arrows lately. I am also curious as to if anyone else has tested this at higher ranks and their own results.

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: ironwood buckler versus Theren tower shield 04/14/2004 06:24 AM CDT
I've done much testing with shield vs ranged that are comparable to what you did. I was usin g a tower shield at 200 shield and armor vs 260+ longbow. I could block only one snap shot partially before getting the arrow stuck. I'd then throw a DA up and would block first and second snap shoots while sniping. Full Aim would still crush me either way. Half aim wouldn't be as bad with DA up but still hurt pretty good.

As far as shield points go. This has been explained before and im not 100% on this but say the buckler offers low to good which offers (guessing) 20-100 shield points and the theren tower is low to very great which offers (guessing again) 20-200 shield points. You would get 2 shield points for every rank obtain up to the max protection and 1 point for ever rank thereafter. so with these numbers (just examples) if you have 150 in shield, using an ironwood buckler you have effectively 200 shield points where as with a theren tower you have 250 shield points because of the better max protection.

At your ranks, your hinderance will drop real fast to insignificant with a tower shield out. and your effectiveness with an ironwood buckler will be noticable therein.

I think the best test for you right now(I think you're in lang pecc) is to throw up a DA and see if the Fendryads throwns hit you with either shield.

Just some thoughts
Kolaisa

Stabbity, block, you go thud.

Use that beer sponge you call a brain!
Re: ironwood buckler versus Theren tower shield 04/14/2004 08:19 PM CDT
my own experiment went thus:
Crossing gargoyles shatter 2 theren towers and 4 random shields all within a cpl hours and usually very few attacks on each one.

Switched to ironwood buckler....haven't lost one yet.

105 shield
Re: ironwood buckler versus Theren tower shield 04/15/2004 07:31 AM CDT
it's my understanding that the closer you are to reaching a shields cap max protection, the less it breaks.

I also think it's because the ironwood buckler has better construction.

Kolaisa

Stabbity, block, you go thud.

Use that beer sponge you call a brain!